Mediterranean cruise - positive COVID test

tgrunewald

Mouseketeer
Wanted to provide a summary of our experience with someone in our party testing COVID positive

Our family of 4 arrived at the port for the June 10 cruise at 1130. We did the initial testing and were cleared to board at 1230.

We went to eat and then to our staterooms. They then called at 2 and asked for our son to come down to customer service but didn’t offer any reason.

Once down there there’s told us there was a problem with his test and had to go back to the port and re-test. No one would give us an answer on why the re-test. No one from Disney was around…it was only the Testing company people. He took the test and didn’t get new results (positive) until 330pm when they realized no one had spoken to us yet.

It then took another hour for someone from Disney to tell us what is going to happen.
This pattern was similar with all the others waiting as well.

They then called the rest of our party off the boat along with our luggage. We waited in the port until 7pm. At that time, we were shipped off to a hotel near the port to serve our 7 day quarantine sentence.

It literally feels like we were thrown out with trash. The lack of empathy, coordination, and communication from Disney was very disappointing especially given the circumstances. I never thought I’d say that they let us down from a Customer Service standpoint

Hopefully they will improve the process and shift to self reported testing soon so other won’t have Similar experiences. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. We thought our experience with a COVID test at the port was not great, either - but I am actually horrified that you lived through the initial stress of testing, got onboard, and then were summoned back for a re-test. I can't imagine the roller coaster of your emotions.

When we were denied boarding, we were told it would be about 2 hours to retrieve our luggage, but it actually took 3 hours. It was a horrible time since we were stressed about finding lodging for our quarantine, etc. There only seemed to be one Disney rep available who was trying to deal with everyone. All we could do was send one of the Inspire testing workers to find the Disney rep so that we could get an update. They did kindly offer to try and help us with securing a hotel, but we were able to do that on our own even though the internet connection was poor in the Honolulu terminal. You are spot on when you say the entire process could be improved. As Lenn Millbower (The Mouse Man) relates in his customer service series, a cornerstone of Disney guest service excellence is being about to "pre-spond" to anticipated needs of guests.

At this point, pre-board testing is nothing new and there are a few denied-boarding cases for every cruise - most of them asymptomatic cases. A little ANTICIPATION of what these devastated passengers need most in their time of need would go a long way in inspiring confidence and loyalty. A little MAGIC by thinking of kind words of comfort to soften the blow sure wouldn't hurt either.

My sympathies for your entire nightmare. But there is a silver lining - you've lived through the worst now. Get that money back from Disney and try, try again. It made me happier once I could book another sailing a few months from now. No more fear of the unknown.... we know we can live through it now. :) Hugs!

So sorry this happened, especially to your son who basically had a mild flu, and hopefully, did not blame himself for your change of plans.

This was why we cancelled our Vcvr<=>Hawaii B2B cruises. Too much chance to catch something . . . in the airports, on the planes, on the outbound cruise, etc.

That’s terrible. We board in Rome on July 6 and this is my biggest fear. We are coming in a few days early to visit London and Paris, but I won’t be able to really enjoy our vacation until the ship sails. Until now, I thought it was until we got on the boat, but that’s not even safe.

I’m so sorry that happened.

Wanted to provide a summary of our experience with someone in our party testing COVID positive

Our family of 4 arrived at the port for the June 10 cruise at 1130. We did the initial testing and were cleared to board at 1230.

We went to eat and then to our staterooms. They then called at 2 and asked for our son to come down to customer service but didn’t offer any reason.

Once down there there’s told us there was a problem with his test and had to go back to the port and re-test. No one would give us an answer on why the re-test. No one from Disney was around…it was only the Testing company people. He took the test and didn’t get new results (positive) until 330pm when they realized no one had spoken to us yet.

It then took another hour for someone from Disney to tell us what is going to happen.
This pattern was similar with all the others waiting as well.

They then called the rest of our party off the boat along with our luggage. We waited in the port until 7pm. At that time, we were shipped off to a hotel near the port to serve our 7 day quarantine sentence.

It literally feels like we were thrown out with trash. The lack of empathy, coordination, and communication from Disney was very disappointing especially given the circumstances. I never thought I’d say that they let us down from a Customer Service standpoint

Hopefully they will improve the process and shift to self reported testing soon so other won’t have Similar experiences. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
I’m so sorry for your experience. I’d spend the quarantine crying I think. We just tested positive yesterday and cannot think how we were exposed. This is life during Covid. I wish cruise lines would do away with testing and just require vaccine. Neither one of us has any symptoms thanks to vaccinating. You must be heart broken. Why did it take them so long to discover the result? Was it a PCR test, even so, it can’t take that long. I guess they tested twice? They definitely let you down from a CS standpoint. You’ll cruise again. I hope you all rebound from this terrible experience.

Did you have to quarantine for 7 days or could you go home? Our back up plan was to rent a car near the port and drive ourselves back home 12 hr. drivable). Would this have been an option?

I’m so so sorry to hear about this!!! Insult to injury!!!! Come on, Disney!!!!

You sound like you’re doing okay emotionally - hang in there. And I hope everyone feels well, too. I’m so sick of Covid. 😫 Are you in Rome? Are you trapped in your hotel or can you go outdoors, etc?? Hopefully you can make the most of your circumstances. You have our sympathies. ❤️

That’s terrible. We board in Rome on July 6 and this is my biggest fear. We are coming in a few days early to visit London and Paris, but I won’t be able to really enjoy our vacation until the ship sails. Until now, I thought it was until we got on the boat, but that’s not even safe.

I’m so sorry that happened.
Thanks. We came in early as well to visit Rome. Not sure if he got sick before or here. Either way, he is asymptomatic. Sending good vibes - I’m sure you will be fine!
I’m so sorry for your experience. I’d spend the quarantine crying I think. We just tested positive yesterday and cannot think how we were exposed. This is life during Covid. I wish cruise lines would do away with testing and just require vaccine. Neither one of us has any symptoms thanks to vaccinating. You must be heart broken. Why did it take them so long to discover the result? Was it a PCR test, even so, it can’t take that long. I guess they tested twice? They definitely let you down from a CS standpoint. You’ll cruise again. I hope you all rebound from this terrible experience.
The 1st test is like a home kit and the 2nd one was a PCR. Great question though…not sure why they let us on initially…maybe doing a double check they saw it was actually inconclusive or positive? Hope you feel ok and stay safe as well.

Did you have some sort of vacation in Hawaii before the cruise? I hope you can rebook soon. Disney lost my luggage once for about 24 hours and it nearly ruined my trip- LOL. But seriously I hope you can enjoy what little magic you can find.

I feel for you and your family. You must be all in shock. I am so glad your son is asymptomatic. We are on the Rome sailing at the end of the month. My husband got Covid while away at work and just finished quarantine at hotel (on his own for 5 days) so he has certificate of recovery. Do you have an option of booking your own private accommodations for the week or must you all stay in the Disney selected hotel? Is it a week or 5 days?❤️

I’m so so sorry to hear about this!!! Insult to injury!!!! Come on, Disney!!!!

You sound like you’re doing okay emotionally - hang in there. And I hope everyone feels well, too. I’m so sick of Covid. 😫 Are you in Rome? Are you trapped in your hotel or can you go outdoors, etc?? Hopefully you can make the most of your circumstances. You have our sympathies. ❤️
Thanks! Disney turned all the positive results over to the govt so we have to quarantine for 7 days now in a hotel by the port. The govt will then send someone to retest my son before we can leave. He is asymptomatic and we have a bunch of home tests so may start trying them. Good news is that they lifted the testing ban for returning to the US so I may have my wife and other some take a home one and get out of here soon.

I feel for you and your family. You must be all in shock. I am so glad your son is asymptomatic. We are on the Rome sailing at the end of the month. My husband got Covid while away at work and just finished quarantine at hotel (on his own for 5 days) so he has certificate of recovery. Do you have an option of booking your own private accommodations for the week or must you all stay in the Disney selected hotel? Is it a week or 5 days?❤️
Good to hear he is ok and has the doctors note. If you were all exposed to him at some point when he had it, I’d ask the doctor if he would extend the note to all. I wish we would have because my wife had it a month ago and we wonder if maybe he had it too and this is one of those lingering positives. Who knows anymore though…

Good to hear he is ok and has the doctors note. If you were all exposed to him at some point when he had it, I’d ask the doctor if he would extend the note to all. I wish we would have because my wife had it a month ago and we wonder if maybe he had it too and this is one of those lingering positives. Who knows anymore though…
He actually just got out of hotel quarantine on Tuesday and flew home. He has an appointment to get his certificate of recovery next week (11 days before sailing). For boarding on Disney, each member has to show positive test and certificate of recovery so that would not work. I have been doing rapid tests on all of us over the past few days. Will do another today!

May I ask if you had test kits did you test the morning before going the port? I was thinking of testing the three of us before going to the port. If we test positive, then not go to the ship.

He actually just got out of hotel quarantine on Tuesday and flew home. He has an appointment to get his certificate of recovery next week (11 days before sailing). For boarding on Disney, each member has to show positive test and certificate of recovery so that would not work. I have been doing rapid tests on all of us over the past few days. Will do another today!

May I ask if you had test kits did you test the morning before going the port? I was thinking of testing the three of us before going to the port. If we test positive, then not go to the ship.
Funny you ask… we have kits that we were going to use at the end for getting home before they lifted the rule. I now wish we would have done it beforehand because then it wouldn’t have been reported to the government and you won’t be under these strict rules.

Funny you ask… we have kits that we were going to use at the end for getting home before they lifted the rule. I now wish we would have done it beforehand because then it wouldn’t have been reported to the government and you won’t be under these strict rules.
I wish you all the best, and hope you are healthy. Hope you get your travel plans sorted out and can relax a bit. It must be an anxious time.

I have three test kits (5 per kit) that I am bringing with us. Plan to test prior to boarding flight and each day in Rome for the two days prior to going to port.

Does DCL refund/give credit for your cruise since you showed up at the port but you didn't actually sail?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter