Medication: Side Effects

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
So. There's this mediation. No worries what it's for. Just focus in on the potential side effect:

"Could cause Sudden Death Syndrome"

Charming.

The more meds you take the more side effects you're going to experience. I like doctors who eliminate the number of meds you're on, rather than increase it. I'm on two, and that's too many.

The more meds you take the more side effects you're going to experience. I like doctors who eliminate the number of meds you're on, rather than increase it. I'm on two, and that's too many.

Sometimes taking a drug causes a side effect so bad you have to take another drug just for that...and it spirals.

My opinion is taking any drug should be the last option, not first. If you have high cholesterol and eat terribly fix your diet first. If that doesn't work because of your genetics then you go on a statin, hopefully a lower dose because your diet helped with some of the problem.

I also think there needs to be a little more risk/reward analysis. There is an acne drug that can cause severe birth defects and liver damage. I wouldn't take it and would just deal with the acne. If you have MS and need to take a drug with terrible side effects that is one thing but for some pimples? Oh heck no.

It's all a cost-analysis. Currently I am taking two antibiotics- Bactrim and Augmentin- for an eye issue. I have had pre-orbital cellulitis before and ended up in the hospital for 4 days on IV antibiotics. That time, I had no idea what was happening until the redness and swelling were pretty wide-spread, but this time, I knew better. Also, the doc prescribed fluconazole, "just in case," as yeast infections aren't an uncommon side effect of either of these drugs. While I am not happy to be taking these 2 drugs, I'm much happier than I'd be if an entire third of my face was red, swollen, and infected, and I was hospitalized.

There is an acne drug that can cause severe birth defects and liver damage. I wouldn't take it and would just deal with the acne.
I sort of felt that way, too. But our pediatrician was concerned when my son developed severe acne, and said his face was likely to get scarring if it continued, so she recommended a dermatology consult, which we did. That doctor explained that cystic acne goes very deep, and does leave scars, so, after going over all the information, DS decided to try it. (Accutane, which is a derivative of Vitamin A.) Within a short time his acne all cleared up and it has never come back. (Six years now.) I couldn’t believe how good his complexion looked in such a short time. We had tried many other things and nothing worked. They followed blood work for his liver enzymes, and there was never a problem. I think he was only on it for three or four months, maybe. The dermatologist said there was some ‘politics’ behind the whole thing; not surprising. At any rate, it worked really well for us and I’m glad we got to it before permanent scarring occurred. I think acne can have negative psychological effects at that age, as well (or at any age).

I have a nurse come to my house every 8 weeks to give me an infusion that has a list of scary possible side effects a mile long. I put off starting this infusion for over a year because of it. Now I’m so glad I did and if I get lymphoma or some other life threatening problem because of it then so be it - my quality of life is incredibly better today because of this medicine.

I sort of felt that way, too. But our pediatrician was concerned when my son developed severe acne, and said his face was likely to get scarring if it continued, so she recommended a dermatology consult, which we did. That doctor explained that cystic acne goes very deep, and does leave scars, so, after going over all the information, DS decided to try it. (Accutane, which is a derivative of Vitamin A.) Within a short time his acne all cleared up and it has never come back. (Six years now.) I couldn’t believe how good his complexion looked in such a short time. We had tried many other things and nothing worked. They followed blood work for his liver enzymes, and there was never a problem. I think he was only on it for three or four months, maybe. The dermatologist said there was some ‘politics’ behind the whole thing; not surprising. At any rate, it worked really well for us and I’m glad we got to it before permanent scarring occurred. I think acne can have negative psychological effects at that age, as well (or at any age).
both of my kids took it, I think it was a generic when my dd had it. 13 years go or so, for my son, and 8 for my dd, and neither had issues with it.

Most terrifying.
Many anto depressants and antipsychotics have suicidal and homicidal ideation as a side effect.

Now go lool up any mass shooter and see what drugs they took.

Most terrifying.
Many anto depressants and antipsychotics have suicidal and homicidal ideation as a side effect.

Now go lool up any mass shooter and see what drugs they took.

Not going to argue with that. I know that certain hypnotics have been known to cause oddball behaviour whilst you sleep. Oddball as in sleep-walking and ordering 50 yards of copper cabling for no reason.

Sometimes taking a drug causes a side effect so bad you have to take another drug just for that...and it spirals.

My opinion is taking any drug should be the last option, not first. If you have high cholesterol and eat terribly fix your diet first. If that doesn't work because of your genetics then you go on a statin, hopefully a lower dose because your diet helped with some of the problem.

I also think there needs to be a little more risk/reward analysis. There is an acne drug that can cause severe birth defects and liver damage. I wouldn't take it and would just deal with the acne. If you have MS and need to take a drug with terrible side effects that is one thing but for some pimples? Oh heck no.
Statins are the biggest racket in Western medicine. I’ve got high cholesterol (super-high actually) and my doctor threaded to fire me as a patient if I didn’t take them. Despite having had several full cardio-pulmonary work-ups that showed no concern whatsoever with my heart or artery function. :mad: The side effects are like taking poison and even with full compliance they didn’t lower my numbers.

My doctor refused to give me information about therapeutic levels of Omega 3 and Niacin. Low and behold, recently big pharma has managed to patent fish oil (called Vescepa). She’s all for it now that it costs $700/mo without insurance. :sad2: Oh well, at least I can walk without limping again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter