MCO help from gate to Magical Express

exit30

Mouseketeer
Hi, this is the first time we are traveling with an elderly parent with mobility issues, we've already reserved a scooter for the hotel and parks. What we don't know is how to get him from the gate to the monorail, and then do Magical Express, as his walking is very limited. He is okay getting up and down the steps of the bus, but it's a haul for him in the MCO airport. Any help is appreciated.

It's my understanding that you can put a call into your airline and they will arrange for someone to meet him at the gate with a wheelchair and that person will take him all the way to the bus. I think the same goes in reverse but I've seen people here say they had a harder time getting the wheelchair to meet at the ME drop off. The one time I used a WC (for my son) at MCO, we got off ME and he waited for me in a seat inside the airport while I went up to the airline area and got a WC for him.

Hopefully someone else can chime in .

Hi, this is the first time we are traveling with an elderly parent with mobility issues, we've already reserved a scooter for the hotel and parks. What we don't know is how to get him from the gate to the monorail, and then do Magical Express, as his walking is very limited. He is okay getting up and down the steps of the bus, but it's a haul for him in the MCO airport. Any help is appreciated.

Hi exit30. May I ask which airline you are using. When I travel with Delta Airlines, I go to their website to buy my tickets to MCO airport and choose my seats on the airline. Then I have choices about needing a wheelchair among other things.

A long time ago, I just used my cane to walk and requested an Atlanta Airport and Orlando Airport wheelchair service from the luggage check-in where I picked up my ticket to the gate and from the gate down the jetway to get onto the plane using my walking cane to go to Orlando. Atlanta has a very large airport.

When I arrived at the MCO Orlando airport, the Orlando Airport had one of their wheelchairs and person to push me to the luggage area or to the Disney Area for the Disney Magical Express. Most of the time the person pushing me did not know about DME nor where it was located since they usually just take guests to the luggage pickup. They could not stay there with me at DME and I had someone else push me to the DME bus to walk up the stairs. I could not take the airport wheelchair of course. I had to use my cane from that point and use my cane to get to from the bus to the Pop Century front desk. Back then, I just rented a Disney mobility scooter at the parks.

Later when I used my own mobility scooter, I would travel to the airport using Atlanta's MARTA train system to the airport and check my luggage and get my airline ticket. Then I would drive my mobility scooter to the gate and down the gateway where Delta Airline staff took it to be stored underneath the airplane.

When I went on the Delta Airline website, I noted that I might still need a wheelchair if my mobility scooter was not delivered to the gateway on the MCO Orlando airport end.

I also filled out the Delta online Disability form to show the ATL Atlanta Airport and the MCO Orlando Airport that I was bringing my own mobility scooter for them to store under the plane.

Now I use my own wheelchair and I do the same thing.

Maybe if you go on the Airline website that you are using and fill out a similar form and print it out to take with you to show the airport staff if they ask or if there is a computer mixup of some kind.

Disney DME does not offer wheelchair assistance from the airport to the Disney resort.

But you should be able to use the Airline's wheelchair service at your home and MCO airport.

When arriving at MCO Orlando Airport, instead of being rolled to the luggage area, ask to be dropped off at the DME gate area. They may not know where it is so print out a map of the Orlando Airport with the location of the Disney DME. Most MCO Orlando Airline wheelchair personnel are only used to dropping people off at the luggage pickup. So if I was going, I would be prepared to show the person rolling the wheelchair where the DME is located and offer a big tip for the service.

They might leave the wheelchair for one of the family members to roll and wait in the DME line to wait for your DME bus to board. I don't think that they would allow the airport wheelchair on the bus, but you could either use the bus stairs or use the bus lift to stand on to be lifted into the bus if using the stairs is out of the question.

Maybe others will come later to give more updated suggestions and this is just my opinions and not anyone else's opinions.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/accessible-travel-services/wheelchair-services

The following quote is from my Delta Airlines. Your airline may look different.

Wheelchair Information
You can choose to travel with a personal wheelchair or utilize one of the many types of wheelchair services we offer.

To schedule service or ask a question, call 800-984-8935 7-days a week between 7 A.M. and 1 A.M. EST or log in to My Trips and select a flight to submit a Special Service Request.

Please note that stairways are sometimes used for boarding and deplaning instead of loading bridges. If you are unable to ascend or descend steps, let us know, and we will provide an alternative boarding method.
In-page Links
404-209-3434. Or if you’re at the airport in the United States, the Caribbean, or Canada and require real-time assistance with your wheelchair service, please call 800-984-8935 daily between 7 A.M. - 1 A.M EST and someone will be available to assist you.

AIRPORT WHEELCHAIRS/WHEELCHAIR ASSISTANCE

If you need utilize an airport wheelchair from the moment you arrive, we offer wheelchair assistants who will assist you through the terminal, security and to the gate. You can request this wheelchair service in My Tripsafter you have booked your flight, or speak with a Delta representative at 404-209-3434. When you arrive at the airport, notify a Delta representative that you require wheelchair service to your departure gate.

AISLE CHAIRS
Specially-designed aisle wheelchairs are utilized to assist you in getting to and from your seat when boarding and deplaning our aircraft. Note, the aisle wheelchairs are not self-operable and can only be used with assistance. If you think you need this service, please request it online via My Trips after you have made your reservation, or by calling us at 404-209-3434 so we can have the aisle chair available at your departure gate.

ONBOARD WHEELCHAIRS
Most aircraft have an onboard wheelchair specially designed to fit the aisle of the aircraft and for use to and from the lavatory. Note, the onboard wheelchairs are not self-operable and can only be used with assistance. The onboard wheelchairs may not fit within the onboard lavatory. Flight attendants are trained in the operation of this wheelchair and will assist you with its use. They are not, however, required to lift or carry you. Aircraft with less than 50 seats are not equipped with an onboard wheelchair. To check on aisle chair availability, speak with a Delta associate at 800-221-1212.

Delta Connection Carrier aircraft may not be equipped with this service. Please contact us to ensure you receive the service you need.
Wheelchair Handling Form to accompany your wheelchair

• Print the form, place it in a plastic sleeve or laminate it for repeated use
  • Place the form on the seat of the wheelchair or attach to the back of the chair when traveling
Checking Your Wheelchair at The Gate
To check your wheelchair, please call 404-209-3434 to provide at least 48 hours advance notice for power wheelchairs. Be sure to check in at the gate ahead of departure if you need to check any battery-powered equipment. At the gate, you can direct a Delta associate on how to disassemble and re-assemble your wheelchair, or can provide printed instructions.

WHEN YOU CHECK YOUR WHEELCHAIR:

• If your electric/battery-powered wheelchair will fit upright through the aircraft cargo compartment door — or if it can be stowed upright in the cargo compartment — we will not need to disassemble it and will leave the batteries attached.
  • If you have powered equipment that may require disassembly, please check it at the gate so we may arrange for proper handling.
  • Detachable items, like seat cushions and footrests, can be carried onboard or checked with the wheelchair in the cargo compartment.
  • To assist in the disassembly of your wheelchair, our employees may need instructions. Please attach assembly/disassembly instructions, along with your wheelchair's specific battery type, to the wheelchair, or fill out the Wheelchair Handling form.
  • Due to the size of the aircraft bin doors on aircraft operated by Delta and our Delta Connection Carriers, some wheelchairs may not fit into the cargo compartment.
  • Customers traveling with wheelchairs are encouraged to review the aircraft dimensions to determine whether their wheelchairs will fit into the cargo compartment and to provide their wheelchair dimensions (height x width x depth) to Delta Reservations, in advance, for inclusion in their travel record.
  • To determine whether a wheelchair is within these specifications, removable parts such as footrests, headrests, cushions, removable armrests, etc. may be removed prior to measuring.
  • If your travel includes airlines other than Delta or our Delta Connection Carriers, please contact that airline directly to verify cargo dimensions and transportation options.
Onboard Wheelchair/Assistive Device Storage
If your wheelchair or assistive device (walker/rollator) meets the size and weight restrictions for the approved storage space on the aircraft, you may have your collapsible personal wheelchair stowed on your flight. Wheelchairs stowed onboard take priority over other carry-on items.

To stow your wheelchair, it generally should meet the dimensions 13”x36”x42”, though that can vary by aircraft. If you check your personal wheelchair at the gate, it will be returned to you at the gate for use at your destination or in a connecting airport.

Wheelchair Battery Information
You can help us by identifying your wheelchair batteries as either lithium-ion, spillable or non-spillable so that we can follow federal Dangerous Goods handling procedures.

Lithium-Ion Batteries
There are currently no restrictions on self-contained lithium Ion batteries in a mobility device.

Wet-cell “Spillable” Batteries

Wet-cell batteries are considered spillable and require special preparations to be transported by air. In preparation, we must disconnect the battery and protect the terminals against electrical shorting. If we cannot fit your wheelchair equipment upright through the aircraft cargo compartment door, we must remove the battery and transport it in Delta's battery box to meet all federal Dangerous Goods handling requirements. We cannot transport damaged or leaking batteries by air. Please contact us at 404-209-3434 to make arrangements for transportation of a spillable battery.

Dry-cell and Gel-cell "Non-spillable" Batteries
Dry-cell and gel-cell batteries are considered non-spillable and have fewer requirements for handling. Powered wheelchair batteries may remain attached when the equipment fits upright through the aircraft cargo compartment door.

Delta personnel will need to know that your device can be stowed in the aircraft without accidental activation or they will be required to disconnect the battery post connectors and wrap each post connector with tape to prevent electrical shorts during shipping.

Reporting Damage
In the event that you find your personal wheelchair has been damaged during transport, please reach out to any Delta personnel while at the airport. If you have already departed the airport, contact us at 404-209-3434 and select option 3. Please have your contact information and flight details readily available when calling.
404-209-3434 if you have any questions about accessible lavatories.

In-Flight Assistance

Our flight crew wants to ensure your safety and comfort. They can assist you with using an onboard wheelchair, stowing or retrieving carry-on items, identifying food items on your meal tray or opening packages.

Flight attendants are not required to assist in feeding or lavatory functions. They cannot lift or carry you, and cannot provide medical services such as dispensing medicine or giving injections.

You may consider purchasing a ticket for a care attendant or travel companion if you will need any of the above services not provided. Review the available options for bringing a companion for ticketed or unticketed assistance.

https://www.delta.com/contactus/wheelchair

This is a capture of the Delta webpage.

O6AhKZuCfiPBM_TuVE37ZbD3HVplpsDou07sTLMTpzQeDenedM3SKmqUCTZ3wm3F2IpHu3Nytps9G8CAVGf7F4k9A-wcWeMNjrZ_gxWimcdGuL7-1azfmoktITKUgBnWvfQbdXCBgV2xAKb1-ToCewfrvgIZgARyRYw-CEZXv5xrpiX_y0ZVWqmDf5kYwk_b-fc9w36E27pbz7HQHROkJUlLVhTmYN4_aU_u3pT58m-LbQzayMFn-_FciOCBadRfPVkw7Kc2SVFKMG2HmgOCqoA9ldRczImw0Dbuv6Witm-5q86No3b15jMwO22p-smGZIzgwFo0DQiYjsYUkp48U7rmks7sSZPeBZVDMCc7Bn7PXV8we8FIM8f46ONmFjvmKQExSTcGnfv56RRnvXV5xJEnbjR6VbWwJi3BZw58Hx82eKaIQL4PcTm05y8D4kIGAAHzKl_ez48LIRaHqPQGNmDDBHh2FOipgLVp1R6mu0OkSJwnMrFUGnJkVqZrQ2oLq2Hitr0ujaw7QJb8NAllXVqQLQ9v5t0lURVpmywUlge9PEDjm0UAS4hf_XqK0EB_lq7IJh1d3ga3J9Ja7gviHYCR70oOmtqaSBTboCJqb3Dwg29oUrx5DL4EOfC-s_XW9EcQfRf32ikrgpblgWo8l4LD=w1348-h758-no

On the way back home is another story. DME does not work for MCO Orlando Airport. The DME bus can allow the person to use the lift to get to the pavement from the bus, but then someone in your party will have to help her to the nearest seat while you go and ask a non-Disney employee for a wheelchair from the airport. You are lucky that you are not alone. It is more difficult if you are traveling alone. You can look at the MCO Orlando map where to go to ask for the wheelchair help.

Orlando Website info:

https://orlandoairports.net/getting-around-mco/accessibility/

If you require a wheelchair, please contact your airline in advance and they should be able to provide a wheelchair for your use within the airport. If you require a wheelchair for the duration of your visit, please email Visit Orlando or visit its web site. They should be able to provide you with a list of companies offering such a service.

FACILITY DESIGN
The airport is comprised of a Terminal with an “A-Side” and a “B-Side”. Check the map and locate the terminal for your specific airline; park at the side of the terminal that corresponds with your airline to minimize travel distances within the airport

• Ticketing and All Gates are located on Level 3
  • Baggage Claim is located on Level 2
  • Ground Transportation is located on Level 1
  • Minimal changes between floors
  • There is no change of floor/level from check-in to boarding the aircraft
  • Automated People Mover (APM) system is provided to and from gate areas
  • Roll-on/roll-off train system requires no change of floor/level between the Main Terminal and the Airside Terminals (gate areas)
  • Elevators, escalators, and moving walkways are provided to minimize walking distances. Moving walkways transport you from the parking garages to the Main Terminal.

MCO Orlando Airport Accessible Map

q7grXcAJR_62RHZTViT2JDk1RYuFYBMg5jmlh8wcWf4WVvcAdY3vqwFCtVQOiROpijkG4spT7suTaexOTfcxNNgBlEboqydz3XQ-RWV1aNA6-nytyeJ5nmpY6Ym-IikJagvl7k_C1vhm8fy74Y1EyApACewnPz2AvU_PwPz163xvu06ZnWBAho9319q9U_pVPyT8l8X5QBng9TNUQ_wZKmtqlnSVEB5ChOjbIR2-YCP-n11h51XcwmojucENZR2K5hM6JLl_xKWpvELc32BovCjMXxQOfl0qUD8KrfB2y9WMC_WNx_ld_C5DjN-dlq6dIzsXJCcuaB6rZLlzCNxIIGSZ74xlntITVZ_hUwGx9iOyqg3b_powyto2Nwi0CZHxOg_QP1ZJTXaSctWGaSDgYqJZNC4w6_RUf5jdrS0QH69udD1Zls1C01cN3pH8_X9fazupV-XoqysTJPy7GBRZNOtuHEPGjD0_ZDcLijx0RQuoKDfo8y1Q1zwGdefsKtAyvExOBSdqqFaPcKiYKMBLWgnCpdtoOU2pAC3HkbFYLE0xz_5t9mDFne_Zi7Le5uo6yLkHJ27jmfW9OqSaYrpPtCDuzBGaxBef-6oLu7jmmOla-WzBecM5KQ77wTDAKmMa6CUB7oTHJFfblvb-iPfeR3sG=w1565-h709-no

MCO Orlando Airport Accessible Map

337nL5Fp5Z-wkjlhD_IHZlcTUY9QcRerof3ltNS4O8rWfqT7lAbFCeDvYilUi2aeK2q1cG8QUWkMtjGtL55ZjP-qGdTk6eBOYGvin_CdQ_0MQioEQr3KgENMMJf_oMu9sIlo7iwAXhzscYJAH3o2WLZ0WHKyprfJ85Pw7XYTxHnt1Jd4l7ZQLspE7j2drTzL750j0uJ91OXtwXXzspTHeapQLLIcveW_bSQMeLY4Dz7SHLUTqn5zJIMvU2gZQK8x32RdglrEPluHc-ZGU3BT-lbFClK6tqrdup_2rWB--lkVODHMiMTW4wDNG-Mci97SwgsBSXWUXinmXbfB0qowAWdSmJMuy6wFzMX1RuqXCpnbFaiiujJmFOXfQN1h5jIh5rZpXKh04uPqLxK-furGYkgFJFp7cRD5O5oG5h-_rz3stBx00Rc29-f53W1RlEQhj52y8qJgN1tJ2JMvgbhFMLLNXoHbamR2s7PTvrbol8pOhCmd9iAqgb0BiqIWd33V0vjCn4XKoMz6_Y26NcrUNBeqSNb1eS4GtmOQlHl5_OfwQvHSuvIEVLDdewjBckC0mxcjG46xMW92Pu4SjibRZOex-vRiur43r4dN2UM2eY0mdt4AvrrMXHryl3EIdfsJ-cRMMk1dBOwu8JUenuMZ0xd2=w977-h709-no

MCO Orlando Airport Map

The following two links are pdf file maps from Disney Magical Experience of location at MCO Orlando Airport.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/FAQ/OIA_Map.pdf

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...aq/faqs/pdf/Orlando-Airport-All-Gates-Map.pdf

Disney DME is located on Level One, one floor below luggage pickup. On the map above DME is located on the bottom left on level one. There are an escalator and an elevator that you can use nearby to go ask for wheelchair assistance. I had to use my cane since I travel by myself.

So that is why I was asking what airline you are using so that you can see what they require for wheelchair assistance like I did from Atlanta using Delta Airlines. Delta made sure that I was covered in both Atlanta and Orlando.

As far as Orlando Airport and DME, you have to do a little more. If for some reason the Orlando wheelchair person will only go to the baggage area, ask if you can use the same wheelchair to take the elevator down to Level One to the DME area.

And when you arrive at Disney resort just find a close bench or seat and look for your rental wheelchair at the resort's luggage area.

Last edited:
If you're traveling on Southwest, they've been super. Took me by wheelchair from the airplane all the way to DME. The first time, the attendant even stayed with me and wheeled me out to the bus, even though I told him I could use my cane. However, the return trip didn't go so well. I waited for a Southwest wheelchair that never came to DME-eventually another wheelchair attendant took pity on me and brought me to Southwest check-in. From there, Southwest took me to the gate. But Southwest check-in is super far from DME.

I used wheelchair assistance at MCO on my recent trip (November 2018). It worked well at arrival. Not much of a wait for a wheelchair assist at the arrival gate, and the person who wheeled me took me all the way to the Magical Express check-in line. He would have stayed with me longer, but I told him I'd be okay from there since the check-in line wasn't long. This was even before I tipped him, he was very polite and helpful the whole time.

I explained to the DME person who checked me in that I couldn't stand in line for a long time (arthritis in both knees), so after I checked in I was sent to a bench near the exit doors and they let the nearby DME desk staff know which bus I was waiting for. I walked to the bus from there once my bus was called. The walk to the bench wasn't too far for me, but you may want to hold onto your wheelchair assist until you can get your parent to the bench. You can judge the distance by looking to see how far is it to the exit doors once you are at the DME check-in desk.

My experience on the trip home was the opposite of the arrival experience. I won't repost it here, but you can read the details on my original post.

Last edited:
Just FYI for the DME lift buses -
Guests are not allowed to stand on the lift. They need to be seated on a wheelchair with brakes locked. I’ve also seen people using walkers with fold down seats.
The DME buses with lifts should have a wheelchair in their luggage compartment that can be used to go on the lift - I’ve looked in there during trips over the last few years and there has always been one.

I didn't know that, Sue. That is great information. In Atlanta, MARTA paratransit bus lets passengers stand on the lift holding the yellow bars if they have a hard time climbing the paratransit bus stairs. I personally think that it might be too dangerous for someone to just stand on the lift myself, and yet, I can see why some people might have trouble climbing the bus stairs. All of the regular Atlanta MARTA buses have fold-out ramps for wheelchairs and for folds that have trouble stepping up into the bus.

In Atlanta, MARTA paratransit bus lets passengers stand on the lift holding the yellow bars if they have a hard time climbing the paratransit bus stairs
There's the difference. DME isn't paratransit. Drivers aren't trained for ambulatory passengers on the lift.

If you're traveling on Southwest, they've been super. Took me by wheelchair from the airplane all the way to DME. The first time, the attendant even stayed with me and wheeled me out to the bus, even though I told him I could use my cane. However, the return trip didn't go so well. I waited for a Southwest wheelchair that never came to DME-eventually another wheelchair attendant took pity on me and brought me to Southwest check-in. From there, Southwest took me to the gate. But Southwest check-in is super far from DME.
I think it is the farthest, or at least if feels that way.

There's the difference. DME isn't paratransit. Drivers aren't trained for ambulatory passengers on the lift.

Also, DME are highway coaches with a luggage compartment below the passenger seating area. quite a height difference to get up to vs a city transit bus of some form.

947BF3EC-97B0-438E-9B50-90B61FCE253D.jpeg D8601770-5123-4956-B6F9-268811D3C23E.jpeg A1D631F3-7B84-42DF-BBFE-10D774B79322.jpeg
Also, DME are highway coaches with a luggage compartment below the passenger seating area. quite a height difference to get up to vs a city transit bus of some form.
That is probably the biggest reason.
At one point, in the beginning of DME, they did let people stand on the lift. I don’t know if there was an incident, or if it was just a concern because of the height.
The first picture is the DME bus.
The second is a typical city para transit bus.
The third is a typical regular city bus with a lift

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter