MCO Airport?More of a nuisance or pleasureable to travel in/out of?

MattfromLI

Matt
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about MCO airport? Any difficulties you have had there? Is it a pleasure to go through there or is it terrible like all the airports by me? (I live on Long Island in new york and I fly out of JFK and Laguardia in the city which are possibly two of the worst airports in the country) Please let me know!

It's a nice airport, but I've seen the lines (particularly for the Delta counter) be ridiculously long. I've also had terrible luck with my luggage going into there. Every major damage incident to my bags through the years has been flying into Orlando. Not sure what kind of equipment they've got, but it eats hardsided suitcases.

Sheila

I fly in and out of MCO quite often. Just allow some extra time to get through security. It's one of my favorite airports.

Matt-
Just leave extra time- lots of it. 1 1/2 to 2 hrd. I am quite sure we were told that and didnt listen- When we saw the line to get thru security I almost passed out the wait was very stressful (with two kids I didnt want to miss my flight!). There were so many people waiting they held our flight.

We always fly out of JFK and thats a dream compared to MCO.

p.s. We have only flown out of MCO once since 9/11 ( security is so important but there is no reason that they cant be effiient too and add people on )

I also live on LI and compared to the NY area airports MCO is a piece of cake. We fly into MCO 2-3 times a year. My family and I have never waited longer than 5-10 minutes to go through security. The ticket counters are dependent on airline staffing availability, the longest wait to check in was approx 30 minutes.

Aside from the rediculuosly long lines at check-in counters and sometimes security, its not too bad. IMO, Tampa is TONS nicer, but too far of a drive with I-4.

MCO is very easy to navigate.

One thing..when coming up the escalator to security..if you see a line. Excuse yourself and go around people and you will more than likely be able to go to a very short line, or find no line at all at another booth. You know how people are, so go around and save yourself a headache.

We even told people, people with kids, etc. You know..if you just walk up to the front there are open lines. They looked at us like we are crazy..lol, and wouldn't leave the line.

I am generall impressed with the efficiency of MCO. In comparison to the sheer number of people that go through that airporrt, they do move you through fairly quickly.

MCO can have long lines at the counters and at security. Last time I checked the TSA suggested arrival time at MCO is 1.5 hours compared with 1 hour at JFK and LGA.

I have to give MCO two thumbs up!! I have flown in and out of this airport many times to visit my daughter(who went to college in Florida) and of course, WDW!! Even on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, the system at MCO works surprisingly well. AND, I think this airport is gorgeous as well as efficient.

Lines are long at MCO and we feel very safe. The airport is very clean and well organized. Unfortunately do not feel the same about traveling out of Logan which is very dirty and I don't feel like security is as tight. I could be wrong but it is just the feeling I get.
Tara

Taratink said:
... I don't feel like security is as tight. I could be wrong but it is just the feeling I get.
Tara

Beleve me, your not!! Remember Sept 11. 2 of the 4 planes originated from Logan, which was one of the only airports at the time NOT to have security cameras at the Checkpoints in place.

Disneyjosh229 said:
Beleve me, your not!! Remember Sept 11. 2 of the 4 planes originated from Logan, which was one of the only airports at the time NOT to have security cameras at the Checkpoints in place.

I am talking since 9/11. I feel that we should be able to walk through Logan and be secure that it is one of the safest airports because of all of the previous problems. I don't think that they have made many of the neccessary changes. :confused3
Tara

Taratink said:
I am talking since 9/11. I feel that we should be able to walk through Logan and be secure that it is one of the safest airports because of all of the previous problems. I don't think that they have made many of the neccessary changes. :confused3
Tara

IMHO, I can't really tell much of a difference at any of the airports around the country (besides longer lines!) then pre 9/11. Many could argue with me, but If a terrorist was bound and determined to overtake a plane, I beleve it could still happen. But first, they would have to get through me pirate:

We flew in to Orlando Sanford Airport and it was great. Very small and no hassles checking in. We live about 45 mins from O'hare in Chicago and General Mitchell in Milwaukee but the direct flights from Rockford (an hour and a half drive) arriving in the morning and leaving in the evening were half the price of the flights with connections and arriving in Florida at 7pm out of O'hare or Milwaukee. In other words, we got there at 10:00am instead of 7:00pm and paid $1500 less. Plus, the parking in Rockford was FREE! Now we flew into MCO once and I don't remember it being bad, it was fine.

NYMEDIC said:
I also live on LI and compared to the NY area airports MCO is a piece of cake. We fly into MCO 2-3 times a year. My family and I have never waited longer than 5-10 minutes to go through security. The ticket counters are dependent on airline staffing availability, the longest wait to check in was approx 30 minutes.

We're in north Jersey and my experience is that MCO is a delight compared to JFK or LGA. Checking in and security have never taken us more than 15 minutes... though we always allow plenty of time so it's not an issue. ;) The airport is well organized we have found staff pleasant and helpful.

I always rent a car and I have to say driving around MCO is absolute heaven compared to LGA, JFK and EWR!! :cloud9:

I flew out of Orlando last Tuesday. Got my boarding pass the night before online and only had carry on. For my 7:15pm flight was let off in front of the terminal at 6 and was sitting in the gate area waiting to board at 6:30. Luckily I didn't have to check any baggage and security line wasn't very long. I'm not a very big air traveler so I can't compare Orlando to many other airports but seems to be pretty painless the dozen+ times I've flown in or out over the years. However, all bets off for holiday seasons.

Phrank

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter