Mazda CX9

bucket o' butter

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have the Mazda CX9? We are looking at getting a new vehicle in the spring and had been looking at the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander. We are now looking at the Mazda CX9. It seems to have pretty good reviews, but I want to hear from "real" people. Thanks!

I have the Mazda CX7 and love it but I bought it wanting some comfortable not necessairly economical. One thing you need to check on the new Mazda is the option of a regular 6 cylinder and what gas will be best. I have the 2009 turbo engine and have to run premium if I want any kind of gas mileage.

I really have no complaints other than that air doesn't run as cold as other cars I've had. My car runs very smooth and a friend that owns the small lexus SUV says mine is very comparable to hers but I have a few extra options on mine. My husband calls my car the "fexus" now.;)

I did find that while my car was under warranty I could not take it anywhere else to be worked on supposedly including oil changes or it would void the warranty. Just a FYI for you.

Have you looked at the CX9 in comparison to the other cars? The other two SUVs are pretty good size and though the CX9 has a third row, I don't think you'll have all the space you really think you'd have to carry your family and any luggage comfortably.

We've had our Mazda5 for 2.5 years. *knock wood* not a single issue. We love our car. Mazdas are still actually made in Japan - so they are held to a very high standard of manufacture.

We owned it, and I hated it! The rear doors are looooooong with a funny pointed spot on them that makes it difficult to get kids in and out of the car. The rows are very narrow, and the third row especially is tight. Storage space is non-existant, especially when the third row is up. I also hated how difficult it was to access the back row. And the towing capacity is a joke. I love Mazdas, but this one was not a win for us.

Now we have a GMC Acadia with captain's chairs in the second row, and it is awesome. The third row can hold 3 average adults, and I can get a suitcase and our double stroller behind the third row.

I have had mine for 6 months, and I love it! It fits my 2 kids and all of their friends comfortably. We have even gone out with 7 adults without any complaints. The ride is smooth and I have not had any problems with it. Groceries and packages fit fine with the 3rd row up. We have also gone to the beach and fit chairs and boogie boards back there too.

Good luck with your decision.

I have a new Pilot. Plenty of interior rooom and Hondas hold their resale value best and are very reliable. I love driving it and it handle great in snow.

I have had my CX 9 since July. LOVE it with 3 kids in sports!!! Plenty of room but not too big.

Dom't know how the thumbs down got there....but LOVE mine!!!

Just bought a 2010 Grand Touring Model about 2 months ago. We are very pleased. I have been a Honda driver for the past 14+ years. We have been finding a deterioration of the build quality of our Honda vehicles over the years. I got rid of my Odyssey for the CX-9. I haul 5 kids (carpool) plus all our school bags home with no problem. I find it a very quiet and comfortable ride. My brother-in-law told me that he is seriously considering one for my sister. We looked at various cross-over vehicles and found that it fit what we needed. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I also feel like I got a good deal for the money. We drove a lot of vehicles before we settled on what we wanted. I liked the GMC Acadia, but I didn't like the price tag for the features I wanted.

Good luck shopping! I hope you find what makes you happy.

We bought one in '07...L-O-V-E it! So as one who has been driving it for several years, I'll help where I can.
Ours is a white ( black bottom trim) CX-9 Sport w/sunroof, Bose and roof rack. I prefer cloth and chose the camel with the piano key interior. Lovingly named "Egg-Baby"
We bought ours in August of '07, not too many out then, but by November there were 4 on our block ( guess we started a trend)
If I have to give it any negatives they would be:
For us gals, no place to set your purse/bag as the console is level with the seats...so if you have a passenger up front my purse goes on the front passenger floor or tossed in the back
Not great on gas mileage, not horrible...I get anywhere from 19-21 city...a little better hwy..just filled up and it was a notch over $50.
Lastly, blind spots...the newer models ahve the back up camera, get it!
I have just over 13,000 miles on it, looks like the day we bought it. 265 horsepower has come in handy for me when merging , am spoiled by it now.
It is a very big SUV...we have a '96 Nissan Quest minivan and the CX-9 dwarfs it. We also have a Pontiac G6 and the CX-9 could swallow it. While you cannot drop the seats into the floor like the newer minivans, you can flip them up/down in a variety of ways. You will not have the same cargo space as a mini-van, but you do have a lot of space.
Reviews on it are great, Mazda got it right with the CX-9 , reliability has been great for us.
One other thing to note, if you take it for a test drive, go to the drive-thru at a bank...not sure why, but I seem to have trouble reaching the boxes...the door are high, airbags and all that...so I have to unbuckle and sort of semi climb out to reach, and I am tall, 5'9"...could just be me.

Anyway, we love ours, and think they look sharp!

We've had our Mazda5 for 2.5 years. *knock wood* not a single issue. We love our car. Mazdas are still actually made in Japan - so they are held to a very high standard of manufacture.

Mazda has a factory in Flat Rock, Michigan; in addition Ford manufactures some Mazda at their U.S. factories.

The CX-9, however, is made in Japan.

We had one (grand touring 2009). Drove great, but it was so long and the doors opened so wide that it was a pain with kids. Great interior space though (thanks to how large the vehicle is).

Horrible gas mileage. Looks like a station wagon. We ended up trading it in.

We just bought a 2010 model this summer. It is great! The interior is roomy and it drives very "car-like". We tried out the Pilot, Traverse, & Highlander and went with the CX-9. I have a black on black, and it comes across as very elegant. We have received many compliments. The only downside is the mileage since our AWD gets 2-3 mpgs lower than the Highlander we were comparing. However, I would definitely still make the same choice!

Mazda has a factory in Flat Rock, Michigan; in addition Ford manufactures some Mazda at their U.S. factories.

I have a brand new Mazda 5 and LOVE it! It's a 5 speed which makes it not so mini-van-ish.

The sticker on my door reads something to the effect of:

Parts built and assembled in USA: 0%

Parts built and assembled in Hiroshima: 95%

(not sure where the other 5% is, but...)

This is my first Mazda and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I have had Honda's (Element, Del Sol), Toyota Matrix, Nissan Quest, Cube and I like the ride, fit and functionality of the 5 over all other cars in its price range. Good luck!

Tim

We bought one in April - it's a 2007 touring model (Bose, leather, moonroof, etc). The family we bought it from also added a tow hitch and said they towed his motorcycle around - we have yet to use it. It had 40k on it when we bought it and we've put about 10k on it since. I can't say enough about how much I adore it. It's perfect for our lifestyle.

I looked at Pilot and Highlander as well. Pilot is not a pretty car, to me, and I knew I wouldn't be happy looking at it longterm. Highlander was just out of our price range. CX9 is attractive (to me), perfect size for us, and in our price range.

Another couple we know if now considering one after riding around in ours :laughing:

I have a brand new Mazda 5 and LOVE it! It's a 5 speed which makes it not so mini-van-ish.

The sticker on my door reads something to the effect of:

Parts built and assembled in USA: 0%

Parts built and assembled in Hiroshima: 95%

(not sure where the other 5% is, but...)

This is my first Mazda and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I have had Honda's (Element, Del Sol), Toyota Matrix, Nissan Quest, Cube and I like the ride, fit and functionality of the 5 over all other cars in its price range. Good luck!

Tim

:coffee:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter