Mayonnaise roulette

Heating food that has gone bad doesn't make it safe to eat. I don't get the purpose of what is mentioned above.
You are correct l, however none of the 4 mayo containers in question look or smell bad. Potential pathogen growth can however be killed by using the mayo in a recipe where it’s cooked at a high enough temperature. Rotten is rotten and no amount of cooking will make it better.

Just to let you know mayo does not have to be refrigerated. We were told this by a doctor. People used to blame mayo for illness after picnics, etc. but the culprit was raw onions. We have not refrigerated mayo for 40 yrs and have never had a problem.

If anyone’s looking for butter that stays soft in the refrigerator, look no further than Aldi’s! Theirs is great.

We buy this, and stock up since we don’t get there more than once a month, if that.

View attachment 792867
If you don’t want sea salt, there is this one, too.

csm_countryside-creamery-spreadable-butter-with-canola-oil-detail_a99736e5e5.jpg

And a “light” version

View attachment 792869

I don’t think they have unsalted in the “spreadable” version, but they do carry it in sticks.
None of these are butter that’s why they are spreadable, they are mostly oil and are not comparable to butter.

You are correct l, however none of the 4 mayo containers in question look or smell bad. Potential pathogen growth can however be killed by using the mayo in a recipe where it’s cooked at a high enough temperature. Rotten is rotten and no amount of cooking will make it better.

⬆️ This. When food is left at room temperature slightly beyond the "safe" time established by the FDA & CDC, and enters the "danger zone" time, bacteria can multiply rapidly. This is why one must heat the food in the first place to certain internal temperatures for that food to kill the bacteria when cooking. (Different temps for pork, beef and poultry.) It only takes heating the food to the right internal temperature of the particular meat and holding that temperature FOR ONE MINUTE to kill the bacteria.

Likewise, reheating food that hasn't gone bad, heat to the same internal temperature and hold it for a minimum of one minute.

Back in the Stone Age when I was a kid, and we didn't have meat thermometers, we re-boiled the food for 5-15 minutes, making sure the liquid was bubbling the whole time, to make sure the right internal temperature was met, or baked it again until that temperature was met. In regard to a PP with a video with the question, "Would you eat the chicken left out for several hours?" I said yes - but actually I'd reheat it back to proper temperature to kill the bacteria first.

Mankind also did this for millennia past. How do you think mankind survived before refrigeration and temperature control was developed? HEAT was the temperature control.

None of these are butter that’s why they are spreadable, they are mostly oil and are not comparable to butter.
I use the blue container. It sure tastes like butter to me - and others agree:

https://www.thekitchn.com/aldi-countryside-creamery-spreadable-butter-23252133

“I Heard That Aldi Has “the Best Butter” — So, of Course, I Had to Try It”

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10221683122370625&set=gm.3159191610965966

“The.Best.Butter.
No others even compare!”

We have two kitchens and therefore two refrigerators and we never seem to have mayonnaise in the main kitchen. So, the other day, DH went looking and found five, yes five, opened and partially used jars of mayonnaise. Upon questioning my son, the main suspect, he learned that DS had accidently left a jar of mayonnaise out on the counter overnight and then put it in the fridge in the morning. Not wanting to risk certain death, he opened a new jar rather than use that one. The next time he wanted some, he could not remember which was the bad jar so he got a new one from the pantry...and so on and so on.

So, now we have four good jars and one risky one and no one knows which is which.

🙄
Kids!
Life sure is exciting at your house!

I asked DH how he stores his butter. He manufactures food that ships all over the world. Regulations are strict, and local and federal inspectors can (and do) drop in at any time. They keep their butter in the freezer and take what they need for the next day‘s production out and put it in the refrigerator overnight. They can easily use 40 lbs a day. They never keep it out of the refrigerator, but he has worked in places that have.

We sometimes leave the butter out. If left too long or too warm the texture will change. It goes way too fast in this house to ever flirt with rancid.

Mayo can possibly be left out for some time without illness, it keeps freshest in the refrigerator. Unmolested. DH prefers Hellman’s olive oil mayo and a couple weeks ago he put on burger and got something in the container. It’s his own private jar so when it got yucky from the cross contamination he learned why I’m so picky about only poking clean things in jars. They’ll stay fresh and yummy for much longer. When I serve sour cream it gets put in a little monkey dish and container right back in fridge. Same for almost everything else. I want to use all of it and be fresh the whole time.

The Aldi product pictured has as its first listed ingredient pasteurized cream. The oil in it (differs by color of the tub) is the second ingredient on the list. So not only is the oil not the majority ingredient, it isn't even the plurality ingredient.

Some years ago I left butter on the counter to soften in order to make cookies.

I come back and my cat is up there licking the sticks. No big deal. I shooed her away and made the cookies anyway.

The cookies were delicious and no one died.

Someone mentioned using mayonnaise in cake. I did that once but made the mistake of informing DH about it. He freaked out.

Mayo is basically eggs and oil, standard ingredients in many cake recipes. He grudgingly tried the cake and said it was awesome.
::yes:: I'm not really a cat person but I believe I'd have done the same. Probably would have scraped the tongue marks, paw prints and any cat hair off first though. :cat:

The Aldi product pictured has as its first listed ingredient pasteurized cream. The oil in it (differs by color of the tub) is the second ingredient on the list. So not only is the oil not the majority ingredient, it isn't even the plurality ingredient.
It may not be the majority ingredient but listed second it could be 51% cream and 49% oil as they don’t provide the ingredient ratio. It’s “butter” in that it looks like and and tastes similar but it’s not true butter. I love both olive oil and butter but this is not what I’d put on my pancakes, toast maybe. I’m a kerrygold girl nothing compares.

It may not be the majority ingredient but listed second it could be 51% cream and 49% oil as they don’t provide the ingredient ratio. It’s “butter” in that it looks like and and tastes similar but it’s not true butter. I love both olive oil and butter but this is not what I’d put on my pancakes, toast maybe. I’m a kerrygold girl nothing compares.
Then you are missing out. ;)

Back to the original question, when I go to McDonald's, I order a side of tartar sauce to dip my fries in. If the mayo lovers have not tried it, I highly recommend.
The tartar sauce at Long John Silver's is my go-to for fries there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter