May 2019

Twinsmom2009

Earning My Ears
Hi there, we are planning our first trip to Universal May 13-19, 2019 and are staying at Cabana Bay. We have 10 year old twin girls who are Harry Potter Obsessed at the moment and do love rides. Obviously we don't get the express passes while at that hotel but I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to what the crowds might be like then? I have looked at several crowd calendars and it seems like it will be somewhat slow but I would love to hear from those who have been in May! Do you think we will be able to get most everything done without spending hours in lines? We have 4 days of park to park tickets including Volcano Bay and are debating upgrading to AP's...

Any and all thoughts, tips and tricks welcome!

Hi :wave2: Twinsmom 2009.

I’am at Universal every year at the end of May with my grandchildren.

Typically the first couple weeks of May have not been to busy, but I will add that Universal has become a more popular destination with fantastic Resorts and Theme Parks. So what was typical in past years as far as crowd levels just depends.

One of the best pieces of advice you will see by the regulars here on the boards is that.

1. Staying at one of the Resorts that provide Unlimited Express Pass in your stay Deluxe Resorts PBH, HRH and RPR is worth it. If it’s busy and you need it you will have it.

2. You could buy the Express Pass for each in your party at the park if your wish, but buying the Express Pass for 3 or 4 people would be expensive....if you made a ressie at a Deluxe Resort where the Unlimited Express is included for 280.00 per night for example each person in your family would get the Unlimited Express Pass For every day of your stay there. The Pass is good on day of check in and through day of check out. If you tried to purchase Unlimited Express for 4 people per day that would be about $ 400.00 per day along with the cost of your tickets. You come out ahead just staying at the Deluxe Resorts and having the Unlimited Express included.

3. You can upgrade to AP. Only one adult (the person who makes the reservation) in your family has to have AP. You can watch for AP discounts on your room at any of the Resorts at Universal.....you can lock in your dates and watch for the prices to fall and call and get better price.

4. There are two Express Passes.....Unlimited Express which is included with stays at Deluxe Resorts. This allows you Unlimited rides on the rides. Then there is the Express Pass which allows you one Express ride per ride.

5. There is early entry at the selected Parks as an onsite Resort guest. You can go to early entry and get on the rides that are open. This will help if you do not want to stay at deluxe resort.

For example.....if USF is the early entry park......Diagon Alley will be open and you can ride Escape from Gringotts and wonder around Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley and the shops.

If IOA is early entry park you can go straight to Hogsmeade and ride Forbidden Journey and wonder around shops there .

The girls will love Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

Take them to see the wand show at Ollivanders In Diagon Alley. Let them pick a interactive wand of their favorite Character so they can do wand spells at both Potter Parks. There is a Ollivanders in Hogsmeade too, but I like the one in Diagon Alley better.

They choose someone out of the audience at the wand show....would be nice if they were chose.

Have a meal at Three Broomsticks and get your butterbeer at the Hogshead pub Hogsmeade.

******Go to the sticky Wizarding World Touring Plans and Details (by Ruthies12) I bumped it up and it’s right above your stickey.....she has detailed all the fun things to look for in the Harry Potter Parks.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you so much for this! I debated the upgrade to one of the other hotels for express passes... may still do this! I was hoping if crowds weren’t too much we would be able to take advantage of early hours, stay for the morning and head back to the resort for a few hours in the afternoon then back to enjoy quieter evenings... or hang out at volcano bay :). So many things to think about!

Now if only the weather cooperates. I know last year the second half of May was very rainy...

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice!

I was hoping if crowds weren’t too much we would be able to take advantage of early hours, stay for the morning and head back to the resort for a few hours in the afternoon then back to enjoy quieter evenings... or hang out at volcano bay :). So many things to think about!

That’s one of the lovely perks of staying onsite at Universal. There is a Resort to fit everyone’s budget. The Resorts are so conveniently close to the parks and CityWalk that it makes it easy to return to your Resort for pool time and rest, then return back to the parks in the evening.

Even if it rains, there are rides to enjoy inside.....Spider-Man, Kong, Forbidden Journey, Hogwarts Express, Minions, Shrek, MIB, Transformers, Escape from Gringotts, ET, Simpson’s, to name a few. Horror makeup show is fun. Ollivanders wand show. You should have no problem with the rain if it comes.

It usually does not rain all day if rain is predicted. Typically it will rain in the morning and be sunny in afternoon or sunny start to the day with rain in the afternoon.

Remember a rainy day on vacation is better than a sunny day at work.
You will have a great trip pixiedust:

Wow! Thank you so much for this! I debated the upgrade to one of the other hotels for express passes... may still do this! I was hoping if crowds weren’t too much we would be able to take advantage of early hours, stay for the morning and head back to the resort for a few hours in the afternoon then back to enjoy quieter evenings... or hang out at volcano bay :). So many things to think about!

Now if only the weather cooperates. I know last year the second half of May was very rainy...

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice!

We did get a lot of rain last May when we were there....and only one day out of 10 did it rain for most of it.

It usually came later in the day when we were there and forgot to stop....

Fingers crossed we have less this May!!!

We did get a lot of rain last May when we were there....and only one day out of 10 did it rain for most of it.

That's a good reminder to pack some 99 cent ponchos and/or some small umbrellas. Those things are not cheap inside the park! I bought a couple of these teeny tiny umbrellas on Amazon that I can keep in my backpack, or even in my pocket, if needed.

I’m not much help with the op”s questio as only have gone either the first week or last in May

All I can add to the thread is read some of the trip reports of your time period to see how vacations were for others going in mid May

You will have a fabulous time at the darkside!

I’m not much help with the op”s questio as only have gone either the first week or last in May

All I can add to the thread is read some of the trip reports of your time period to see how vacations were for others going in mid May

You will have a fabulous time at the darkside!
Thanks! I have been doing just that :). Just finished reading Schumigirl’s trip report from last May!! Loved it! Can’t wait for our onsite trip! I do love Universal! I’ve been a few times but this will be the first time since having kids... May can’t come soon enough lol

I just read your May 2018 trip report and loved it! Thank you! Going to read some of your others now too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter