• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

May 19 - 24, 2014 San Diego to Vancouver

I think I am caught up on the roster. If I have missed anyone, my apologies, and please let me know so I can get you on there.

Taaren, just let me know when/if you are ready for me to add you. :)

Kew423, I am not sure how you want to keep track of the FE folks, but I will be glad to indicate who is participating on the roster, either by just putting FE by their name, or an asterisk or something. If I need to put a link to anything regarding the FE for folks to find it easily, let me know.

I agree, it is nice that our group is growing so early, so far in advance of the cruise.

I can start an excel sheet with the info on it.

Just thought I'd also mention that the organizer is going to need to come up with a "close" date for FE participation, probably at least a month out, if not a little longer. Closing the FE list allows people to have a final count of how many people/cabins they must buy for and to get all of their goodies made and/or bought. It is also good to have some personalized info such as ages of children, genders, and favorite characters. A lot of people like to personalize their gifts, and these details help them to figure out appropriate gifts for everyone! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info. I got it.

Hi Everyone,

I know it is a year out but I'll start a list now.
If you want to participate in the FE I need the following information:

Disboards username
Email Address
Names of passengers
Ages of passengers
Male or Female
Favorite Disney Characters, favorite color etc
Stateroom number
Are alcoholic beverages OK?

Please email this to me at kew423@msn.com
In the subject put FE or Disney Cruise or something similiar so it doesn't get thrown into the trash.

If you don't know what an FE is just search this board. There are lots of great ideas and pictures.
There will be a cut off date but it won't be until April next year.

Thanks!

We will be taking a quick 3-day on the Dream in November. We will be in Orlando for DH to attend a meeting anyway and his meeting is over on Wed, so we might as well hop on the Dream to just relax for 3 days. I am looking forward to it mostly because there will be no "planning" involved for this one--just have to show up and let the good times sail. ::yes::

We are hoping to do a last minute cruise out of Port Canaveral in November, if the prices are good. Don't even need to get off the ship (except for Castaway Cay).:rolleyes1

Things have been kind of quiet around here, so I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I am sure everyone is busy getting ready for their summer plans and all.

Haven't done much trip planning recently, but I sure think about it every day. First order of business will be booking a hotel in San Diego for two nights before the cruise, and then airfare when Southwests schedules upen up for that timeframe.

Later...

Hi
Luckily my mom-in-law lives in San Diego so we will stay at her house a couple days before the cruise and then hop on the ship!

It's forever away still and I'm always thinking about it lol. I'm so hoping dh will get hooked and we can book another one onboard. He'll be a little less than 2 years from his 40th and a little less than 3 from mine when we sail, so that's my goal lol. So can't wait for this!

I'm loving all the cute pictures! I'd try to take and post one of mine but she won't stand still long enough for me to take one! She will be 8 at the time of the cruise so it will be nice having other kids close to her age to play with.

Our DD will be 9 on the cruise....

Aloha fellow cruisers,
We just confirmed our first ever cruise today. We are a soon to be family of four.
Myself, hubby, son 5, & one expected this Aug.
So very excited in our home to start the Disney countdown. We just looked into FEs and would love to participate. Please put us on the list and let us know the group guidelines as we are newbies. Any helpful hints you can share to make our first cruise the first of many to come would be greatly welcomed.
Thanks so much!

Pre-cruise planning since my 11 month window for booking the VGC is only 56 days away! ;)
I'll get done with work at 5p on Friday, May 16. We could fly down to Anaheim that night and have the studio for the night of the 16th and 17th, then check out Sunday, do the park that day, then take the train (Amtrak) down to San Diego that evening and check into an Old Town hotel to be ready. We'll have annual passes, going to start them on a December trip most likely.
Another option is to fly down Saturday morning, have the studio for the nights of 17th and 18th, Saturday and Sunday, then first thing Monday morning catch the Amtrak directly to the port. This makes me a little nervous though in case the train is delayed I might miss embarkation. :scared1:

Both of these scenarios mean that we'll be spending 2 nights worth of points for 1 and a half days of park time though, which seems like kind of a waste.

We could just nab the Saturday night, the 17th, at the VGC ... fly down early in the morning, do the park Saturday and Sunday, then take the train down that evening to be in San Diego Monday morning ready to cruise. :cool1: This is both the most sensible and the most point-conservative option, but then I only get to enjoy the VGC from check in at 4p until check out at 10a the next day; it basically becomes a place to sleep which also feels like a waste. :confused3

Oh decisions, decisions. Maybe I should just stay off-site Friday and Saturday night at the Fairfield Inn or Marriott Anaheim if we're going to be doing long park days anyways.

Anybody have a pre-cruise or post-cruise plan worked out already?

taaren, it would be hard for me to pass up a chance to stay at VGC, I love it there and think their studios are the nicest in all of DVC. We bought points there when my son and his wife moved to Orange County. They have since moved home and I don't know when we will be back to DL, so we are thinking about selling those points (with the demand there, I think I can turn a little bit of a profit).

Our plan is to fly from the East Cost to San Diego on Saturday and spend two nights somewhere prior to the cruise. My SIL and I can get in some sightseeing, purchase some wine, so we don't have to pack it in our luggage and get acclimated to West Coast time a bit.

The problem is that most hotels don't book this far out and airline schedules are not out for that timeframe yet, so it is a matter of wait, wait, wait. And then, before you know it, we will be boarding. It kind of sneaks up on you, but I have two trips to WDW and a short cruise on the Dream to get thru first.

DH and I will be flying in to San Diego two days prior to sailing. I have never been to California, so it will be something new for me. Will either be flying out of Atlanta or Birmingham. Will spend one night in Vancouver before returning home.:)

Aloha fellow cruisers,
We just confirmed our first ever cruise today. We are a soon to be family of four.
So very excited in our home to start the Disney countdown. We just looked into FEs and would love to participate. Please put us on the list and let us know the group guidelines as we are newbies. Any helpful hints you can share to make our first cruise the first of many to come would be greatly welcomed.
Thanks so much!

You'll love the cruise :). I've never been on any other one except Disney and don't plan to go on another cruise line.

Definately check out the kids stuff for your son. My DD8 loved it this past March.

taaren, it would be hard for me to pass up a chance to stay at VGC, I love it there and think their studios are the nicest in all of DVC. We bought points there when my son and his wife moved to Orange County. They have since moved home and I don't know when we will be back to DL, so we are thinking about selling those points (with the demand there, I think I can turn a little bit of a profit).
:scratchin If you decide you might want to do a private sale on those points, I'm going to be looking for another contract soon. (The main advantage to you would be not having to give a percentage to a resale company.) You're right, the idea of staying elsewhere when I'm that close to DLR is difficult. The only other studio I've stayed in was Aulani and OKW, and they all have had their advantages. OKW was ridiculously spacious, and at Aulani the views and amenities were just stunning.
Our plan is to fly from the East Cost to San Diego on Saturday and spend two nights somewhere prior to the cruise. My SIL and I can get in some sightseeing, purchase some wine, so we don't have to pack it in our luggage and get acclimated to West Coast time a bit.
Time adjustment will be a good thing. It occurs to me that this will be my first cruise that I'll be on local time (I lived in Hawaii for the previous 2 West Coast cruises, so 3 hours difference; then a 6 hour difference for the Dream cruise.) There are some great wineries in San Diego, too, up near Temecula I believe if wine is your thing. I don't know wine at all but since we're about 10 minutes from Napa we like to go spend time at the wineries occasionally on the weekends (mostly to hit the fabulous restaurants nearby and enjoy the scenery and caves).
The problem is that most hotels don't book this far out and airline schedules are not out for that timeframe yet, so it is a matter of wait, wait, wait. And then, before you know it, we will be boarding. It kind of sneaks up on you, but I have two trips to WDW and a short cruise on the Dream to get thru first.
It seems pretty far, atm, but time does fly!

I'm jealous you're getting so much Disney in beforehand! I have a lot of Disney envy lately since the friends I'll be on this cruise with are in DLR right now. Fortunately I'll be joining them in December for a birthday trip to DLR (their youngest daughter and nephew were born a day before and on my birthday). I wanted to join really badly this week but with the recent move we're pretty tapped out financially until the fall, and that's when I'll have accumulated enough vacation time at the new job, too. :cool1:

The Dream was gorgeous, but I loved the Wonder equally. Less crowds on the ship made for more cool random interactions with other guests (the random CM interactions were stellar on both ships), but the vastness of the spaces on the Dream was just neat and Cabanas was better than Beach Blanket Buffet.
DH and I will be flying in to San Diego two days prior to sailing. I have never been to California, so it will be something new for me. Will either be flying out of Atlanta or Birmingham. Will spend one night in Vancouver before returning home.:)
You're going to love San Diego. There's so many cool things to do there! Have you picked any activities yet? The Zoo and Balboa Park are just neat to spend a few days checking out ... I always mean to spend more time there but then get distracted by Sea World and then Disneyland calls ...

When we took this repositioning in reverse in 2011, I scheduled one day/night in Seattle and one day/night in Vancouver at the beginning of the cruise, expecting to love Vancouver more but surprisingly we liked Seattle better, so this time I think we're going straight off the ship to Seattle, then spending a night there before flying home.

Aloha fellow cruisers,
Thanks so much!

How did I miss seeing your post? You have now been added to the roster on the first page and I am sure it won't take long for you to be added to the FE group as well. You have so much to look forward to. I especially think this cruise will be great with having so many days at sea. I think just being on the ship is the best part anyways, ports are just a little icing on the cupcake.

:scratchin If you decide you might want to do a private sale on those points, I'm going to be looking for another contract soon. (The main advantage to you would be not having to give a percentage to a resale company.) You're right, the idea of staying elsewhere when I'm that close to DLR is difficult. The only other studio I've stayed in was Aulani and OKW, and they all have had their advantages. OKW was ridiculously spacious, and at Aulani the views and amenities were just stunning.

We aren't close to being ready to do this, but I will sure keep it in mind. Maybe we can talk more on the cruise. Just an FYI, we have 2 80 point contracts.

Time adjustment will be a good thing. It occurs to me that this will be my first cruise that I'll be on local time (I lived in Hawaii for the previous 2 West Coast cruises, so 3 hours difference; then a 6 hour difference for the Dream cruise.) There are some great wineries in San Diego, too, up near Temecula I believe if wine is your thing. I don't know wine at all but since we're about 10 minutes from Napa we like to go spend time at the wineries occasionally on the weekends (mostly to hit the fabulous restaurants nearby and enjoy the scenery and caves).

I am not a wine aficionado by any mines, and prefer something more sweet than dry, but I do enjoy a glass on the verandah with my fruit and cheese platter from room service.

It seems pretty far, atm, but time does fly!

I'm jealous you're getting so much Disney in beforehand! I have a lot of Disney envy lately since the friends I'll be on this cruise with are in DLR right now. Fortunately I'll be joining them in December for a birthday trip to DLR (their youngest daughter and nephew were born a day before and on my birthday). I wanted to join really badly this week but with the recent move we're pretty tapped out financially until the fall, and that's when I'll have accumulated enough vacation time at the new job, too. :cool1:

The Dream was gorgeous, but I loved the Wonder equally. Less crowds on the ship made for more cool random interactions with other guests (the random CM interactions were stellar on both ships), but the vastness of the spaces on the Dream was just neat and Cabanas was better than Beach Blanket Buffet. Loved Cabanas as well Our last 3 cruises have been on the Dream and the Fantasy, so it will be a bit strange to be back on one of the classic ships, but I am looking forward to seeing the new Cove Cafe' addition--actually, I guess it is called Outlook Cafe', and I do see my self spending some time in there.

About thirteen months to go...

Has anyone started formulating plans for their San Francisco day yet? Doing a cruise excursion or just doing your own thing. It has been years since I have been there, and I just love this city. My list so far includes to ride the cable car, have some crab on the warf, some sourdough bread, maybe the fortune cookie factory, lunch somewhere in Southbeach. I would love to go to the Disney family museum, but that won't be on the top of my SIL's list, so I will save that for another trip. I have done Alcatraz, but my SIL might want to do that, and I wouldn't mind doing it again.

Any other must-do ideas?

Has anyone started formulating plans for their San Francisco day yet? Doing a cruise excursion or just doing your own thing. It has been years since I have been there, and I just love this city. My list so far includes to ride the cable car, have some crab on the warf, some sourdough bread, maybe the fortune cookie factory, lunch somewhere in Southbeach. I would love to go to the Disney family museum, but that won't be on the top of my SIL's list, so I will save that for another trip. I have done Alcatraz, but my SIL might want to do that, and I wouldn't mind doing it again.

Any other must-do ideas?

We lived in the SF Bay Area for 8.5 years before we moved down here a little over a year ago. We're huge Giants fans, so we're hoping they're playing a game at home that day. Wednesday day games are usually around 1 o clock, so that's our plan for now. The schedule for next year will come out in September sometime, so I'll be on the lookout then.

And sadly, no, my sister won't be coming. She just had her fifth baby, so it's a bit on the pricey side for them now. Hopefully someday :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter