MAximum travel time

Ozgood

Earning My Ears
I have searched the forum and can't find any answers. I'm just curious, what is everyone's maximum travel time (miles) per day?

We are planning our drive from Wisconsin to the Fort and this will be our longest trip with our TT so far. The longest trip prior to this was for 12 hours to a family reunion in Oklahoma. We did it all in one day and it was a LONG day both ways. Because we are novices with the TT (had a popup years ago), just curious as to what everyone else does.

Paula

We drive until I (the driver) gets tired. Then we pull over somewhere and sleep. I have done as much as a 14 hour stretch of driving (out of necessity more than anything else) but typically try to keep it down to 10 hours or below.

I have searched the forum and can't find any answers. I'm just curious, what is everyone's maximum travel time (miles) per day?

We are planning our drive from Wisconsin to the Fort and this will be our longest trip with our TT so far. The longest trip prior to this was for 12 hours to a family reunion in Oklahoma. We did it all in one day and it was a LONG day both ways. Because we are novices with the TT (had a popup years ago), just curious as to what everyone else does.

Paula

Paula, we are also from Wisconsin, and are leaving in a few days for a 3 week Fort Wilderness stay. Typically, we make the trip in two long days, leaving from SW Wisconsin. This year, however, we are taking an alternate, and a bit longer route, to avoid Atlanta. Our daughter/husband, and 3 GC will drive their fiver/truck as well. We will take a shorter drive on our first day, staying in mid Illinois, then into Alabama Wednesday, staying in a campground to unwinterize, and arriving in Ocala in Thursday, and grocery shop. Although the next day is a very short drive, we will be lazy. We also will have our Packer/Wisconsin/Cheesehead gear, along with our calves on our golf cart! Proud to be a dairy farmer from the Badger State. Safe travels to you and your family. Cheers for a snowless drive.

612 miles from our house to the Fort. We just got back last week.

Going down, we like to break it up. We drive halfway there and stay at a campground for the night. That way, we're at the Fort around noon the following day fresh and ready to go. But coming home, we're ready to roll. We left Sunday morning at 9:15. Pulled into the driveway at 7:45 that night. That included two quick meal stops and some pee breaks.

10.5 hours and 612 miles. Not too bad but my coccyx was starting to get pretty sore.

We're 630 miles from FW - two days each way - we 'rough' it 'very' gently!! :P

We're retired, so we usually don't drive over 250-300 a day, sometimes less - like to relax and enjoy the journey - because we can!! :-)

Not knowing where you are, Ozgood, I used Google Maps to check the mileage from Minneapolis, MN to the Fort and came up with 1,566 miles directly. :crazy2:

I know when I tow (and I only pull a pop-up trailer behind my Suburban) that I am good for 600 miles or so each day. Towing means going slower and there are other stops (and lower miles per gallon) that hit on that number. That ends up being 10-11 hours for me. Plus we try to stay at rv or state park campgrounds to save money but that takes additional time: they aren't always close to the hwy and although even minimal, there is SOME setup and takedown. (the alternative is to drive longer and park the trailer in the hotel parking lot-we've done both).

Plus I am the only driver in my household when it comes to towing so there is no such thing as sharing the load in that respect. Also with 10-11 hours this time of year, that is about how much daylight I have to drive. That's a consideration too.

Be save and arrive alive!

Bama Ed

640 miles to FW for me. This equals out to about 11 hours. I typically leave out around 4 in the evening and get to Ocala and pull in the rest area around 2-3am and nap til 7. Its exacly 1 hour to the Fort so we get there at 8 and get a full day for my money.

We use to do the 12 hours straight thru from Tn. Now we do 7 hours the first day and 5 hours the second day. The dog is getting too old to do 12 hours in the truck. ;)

480 miles for me in a small class C and since I'm the only driver I break it up with a stop overnight at a campground a little more than halfway...about 5 hours the first day and 4 the next, that way I'm not so tired when I get to the Fort. But heading home I just power thru to make it in a single drive.

We are 1004 miles to the Fort. Going down, we usually break it up into 3 pieces. Leave after work on Thursday night and drive to Clarksville, TN. It's about 4 hours. Friday, hit the road by 8 so we hit Nashville at the end of rush hour, then drive to the Fl/GA line somewhere. That day is typically 10 hours or so. Saturday morning drive the last 2-3 hours into the Fort. On the way home, we drive straight through. Leave the Fort around 6am and pull in the drive at home around 10pm. It is usually about a 17 hour drive, with stops. We get an hour back on the way home.

j

We prefer to break it up. And we are around 1000 miles from Spring, TX to the Fort. We've driven straight through several times before, but it's rough. This March we'll be leaving around 3-4pm and heading to the Lafayette, LA KOA (3.5 hours), then early morning heading to Camp Gulf in Destin for 1 night (6 hours). Hoping to get through Baton Rouge early enough to miss traffic. The leaving Destin for the Fort (6-7 hours). 6-7 hours driving is my limit these days. We stop every 1.5-2.5 hours and that typically adds 30 mins per stop.

then into Alabama Wednesday, staying in a campground to unwinterize,
I was wondering about this recently. I'd like to do a late winter/early spring trip to the Fort when rates are low, but the hassle of unwinterizing and rewinterizing sounds like it would be a real pain. Do you rewinterize somewhere on the way home?

We come from Northeastern Ohio, it's about 1,100 miles or 18 hours. We usually break the trip up into 3 days down and 2 days back. So 8 hours, 8 hours, and then the last day is shorter so we can arrive at the Fort at a decent hour.

I was wondering about this recently. I'd like to do a late winter/early spring trip to the Fort when rates are low, but the hassle of unwinterizing and rewinterizing sounds like it would be a real pain. Do you rewinterize somewhere on the way home?

We winterize before heading home. We usually just stop in hotels on our way back up.

Not knowing where you are, Ozgood, I used Google Maps to check the mileage from Minneapolis, MN to the Fort and came up with 1,566 miles directly. :crazy2:

I know when I tow (and I only pull a pop-up trailer behind my Suburban) that I am good for 600 miles or so each day. Towing means going slower and there are other stops (and lower miles per gallon) that hit on that number. That ends up being 10-11 hours for me. Plus we try to stay at rv or state park campgrounds to save money but that takes additional time: they aren't always close to the hwy and although even minimal, there is SOME setup and takedown. (the alternative is to drive longer and park the trailer in the hotel parking lot-we've done both).

Plus I am the only driver in my household when it comes to towing so there is no such thing as sharing the load in that respect. Also with 10-11 hours this time of year, that is about how much daylight I have to drive. That's a consideration too.

Be save and arrive alive!

Bama Ed

Oh, thank goodness we don't live in Minneapolis! We live just outside of Milwaukee so it's about 1250 miles or so. Still it's a LONG haul! DH plans to drive to just inside GA the first day and then to the Fort the next day. We are early risers and will want to get through Atlanta before morning rush hour, so we will likely be there around 2ish. We will also stay in a hotel that travel day in GA just for ease and conservation of time.

Fingers crossed!

We use to do the 12 hours straight thru from Tn. Now we do 7 hours the first day and 5 hours the second day. The dog is getting too old to do 12 hours in the truck. ;)

You mean Frank found a new fishing hole and can't bring himself to pass it up.

We winterize "again" before we leave the Fort, and make our drive home in two days, one overnight. We bring our own RV antifreeze. We have seen many a winterize "jugs" next to the garbage. Our trip is 1320 miles. As we have a newer fifth wheel, winterizing is very easy, compared to ten years ago. Good luck.

We typically do a 12/13 hour run the first day from Northeast PA that puts us in SC. From there about 4/5 hours to the Fort. I set my cruise control about 70-72.

We are 1200 miles from the Fort (Bastrop, Tx) We both drive - our 1st o/night KOA in Milton Fl, which takes 12 hours. 2nd o/night is Citrus, Fl. Then we are little over an hour to the FORT, which we arrive no later than 8 to 8:30 AM. Going home we leave around 5:00 AM & stop for the night @ Layfetta & then approx. 7 hrs. to reach home. We are not sure if we will make the Fort 2017. Have other plans that we have to do this year. Told Grumpy Aggie, what is more important than the FORT!! Safe travel for all!!

Denise, I do not think Frank is that old.
We live just east of Austin, Tx and are 1100 miles from the Fort. The first day we will make Milton, Fla. 650 miles. there are 2 traffic lights and freeway all the way. With two drivers the 12/13 hours is not a problem. The second day we will stop just out side of WDW and arrive early on the third. We have not had a problem with traffic in Houston or Baton Rouge. Coming home is a two day trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter