Maui Itinerary Help

PopMom

Earning My Ears
We are taking our first trip to Hawaii in mid May. We'll be spending 5 nights in Maui at the Marriott Ocean Club followed by 6 nights at Aulani! We are DVC members and a family of 4 (DD is 21 and DS is 19).

I'd appreciate any input on the draft of our itinerary.

Sunday: arrive in Maui at 8:30 pm. It will be a long 15 hour travel day for us from north east Ohio. We have two connections so I think we'll be pretty wiped out when we finally arrive at the resort. I'm guessing after we pick up our rental car, we will get to the resort around 10pm.

Question - Is anyone familiar with the drive from the airport in Maui to Lahaina? Will it be difficult in the dark? It looks like a fairly straightforward drive, but I'd appreciate any input.

Monday: Plan to sleep in, go to breakfast then pick up some groceries for the room. Afterward spend time at the resort. Take sunset pictures at the beach and go to an early dinner in either Kaanapali Beach or Lahaina. Go to bed early.

Tuesday: Get picked up by Skyline Hawaii Tour Guides at 2:00 am for a Haleakala Sunrise Tour. Get dropped off back at the resort at 1:00pm. 90 minute Marriott Vacation Club tour at 1:30.

Question: Not sure what to do in the afternoon and evening?? Is there time to have a nap from 3-5 then shower and get ready for the Old Lahaina Luau Tuesday night or will that just be too much for one day???

Wednesday: Resort day - kids and husband want to do a morning resort scuba course. I may look for a snorkeling tour. Old Lahaina Luau - is the best day for the luau??

Thursday: 7:00 am pick up by tour guide for Road to Hana tour. This will be a full day - 12 hour experience.
We'll get dropped off back at the hotel at 6pm. Shower and order pizza or something easy. Pack make it an early night

Friday: Breakfast, finish packing. Get gas and lunch at Costco and head to the airport. 1:30 flight to Oahu.

I would appreciate any thoughts from others who have made this trip before!!

Many thanks!!

The drive from the airport up to the area where your resort is located is pretty straight forward. There is a section just past the tunnel that is a little twisty but it is a fairly direct highway drive. The only thing I would say is if you are hungry when you land, maybe try to grab a bite to eat in Kahalui (town where the airport is) as there is stuff in Lahaina but it might not be open by the time you actually get up there.

You are going to love this trip . . .we did the same split a couple of years ago. I like to plan some downtime. The trip is long and exhausting. So on Tuesday, our family wouldn't do anything except hang out at the resort in the afternoon. Are you doing a luau in both places? I haven't done a luau in Maui, but we've done 2 different ones on Oahu. If you are doing one at Aulani, I would skip it on Maui.

You are going to love this trip . . .we did the same split a couple of years ago. I like to plan some downtime. The trip is long and exhausting. So on Tuesday, our family wouldn't do anything except hang out at the resort in the afternoon. Are you doing a luau in both places? I haven't done a luau in Maui, but we've done 2 different ones on Oahu. If you are doing one at Aulani, I would skip it on Maui.

Thanks for the input!!! We are torn between doing the Old Lahaina Luau while we're in Maui or the VIP Luau at Aulani. Old Lahaina is a little less expensive but they both get great reviews. I should post and see if anyone has done them both :)

The drive from the airport up to the area where your resort is located is pretty straight forward. There is a section just past the tunnel that is a little twisty but it is a fairly direct highway drive. The only thing I would say is if you are hungry when you land, maybe try to grab a bite to eat in Kahalui (town where the airport is) as there is stuff in Lahaina but it might not be open by the time you actually get up there.

Thanks for sharing the information about the drive from the airport and the suggestion for food. I imagine we will be hungry when we land so we'll plan to get a bite to eat before we leave Kahului.

Honestly, you can save some money and do the Road to Hana yourself since you will have a rental car. There is an APP for your phone that you can buy that will narrate the drive. We did not enjoy the Road to Hana at all. Not many good views, the road is twisty all the way to/from, it was crowded with tour buses and other cars, etc. However, the road past Hana to the National Park and Lindburgh's grave was very nice. We have never done the Haleakala sunrise tour, but have gone to the top twice in the daytime. It is a crap shoot on whether or not you will see anything at any time of day. Once it was socked in, the 2nd time it was very clear and we could even see Hawaii Island from the top! Be prepared though, as it is really cold at the top!

Thanks for the input!!! We are torn between doing the Old Lahaina Luau while we're in Maui or the VIP Luau at Aulani. Old Lahaina is a little less expensive but they both get great reviews. I should post and see if anyone has done them both :)
I’ve done the Aulani vip luau and the luau at a the Marriott ko Olina. You might have already done this but if you search the threads there Are some relatively recent Oahu luau reviews. Havent seen anything about Maui here.

We are just back from Maui this week. We were staying in Kaanapali but down the way at the Hyatt Residences. We are also DVC and own at Aulani (and BLT), and did that one last year. First, love your itinerary...it's perfect. Agree with all the answers so far and a few extra thoughts...

Q1: Drive from OGG through Lahaina to Kaanapali - not a terrible drive, but definitely give yourself some time and take it slow. It's a solid 45-50 minute drive and narrow with a tunnel in parts. We did it mid-afternoon at arrival, but again in reverse at 2am to get to Haleakala and were totally fine. I would say, if hungry, definitely grab food near the airport - maybe Da Kitchen if you can catch it before they close. Or, Leoda's Pie Shop which is on the drive, but I think closes at 8pm. There's also a ton of options in Lahaina or at Whaler's Village (Whaler's Village is walkable from the Marriott).

Q2: Haleakala - maybe do the luau a different day. We were pretty tired after our Haleakala morning. We did it on our own though, so a tour with a driver will help. It is definitely a twisty road going up and our car found it hard to sleep going up.

Q3: We've done the Old Lahaina Luau and the Aulani VIP Luau. Loved both. Old Lahaina is definitely the more cost efficient luau. The two are actually quite similar...both have fun little stations to check out before the start of dinner. I like Old Lahaina a bit better but my kids are older (10 and 12) so the Mickey/Minnie/Disney factor wasn't as high. If you don't do Old Lahaina Luau, try to eat at Aloha Mixed Plate...it's the same kichen as Old Lahaina Luau and has some of the same food.

A few other notes...
Maui Snorkeling - it's pretty easy to pick up a snorkeling tour in Lahaina, definitely well worth it. You'll want to go out earlier as the waters get a bit choppy by afternoon.

Road to Hana - we opted out of this one as we has just done a driving tour of the big island, but have heard what the previous poster said. It's a long day and twisty. If you do the Road to Hana on your own, you might want to start in Paia, which is a cool town, and Mama's Fish House is a must in Paia.

Grocery - There's a Safeway in Lahaina (right in front of the Old Lahaina Luau) that is a very easy stop on the drive between the airport to the hotel. Might be a good spot to pick up food as you head in from the airport.

Beach time - I was surprised by how little my kids wanted to do in Maui. They really liked just hanging out at the beach and pool. You'll definitely get plenty of beach and pool at Aulani too.

Have fun!!!! Shout if any other questions:)

We are just back from Maui this week. We were staying in Kaanapali but down the way at the Hyatt Residences. We are also DVC and own at Aulani (and BLT), and did that one last year. First, love your itinerary...it's perfect. Agree with all the answers so far and a few extra thoughts...

Q1: Drive from OGG through Lahaina to Kaanapali - not a terrible drive, but definitely give yourself some time and take it slow. It's a solid 45-50 minute drive and narrow with a tunnel in parts. We did it mid-afternoon at arrival, but again in reverse at 2am to get to Haleakala and were totally fine. I would say, if hungry, definitely grab food near the airport - maybe Da Kitchen if you can catch it before they close. Or, Leoda's Pie Shop which is on the drive, but I think closes at 8pm. There's also a ton of options in Lahaina or at Whaler's Village (Whaler's Village is walkable from the Marriott).

Q2: Haleakala - maybe do the luau a different day. We were pretty tired after our Haleakala morning. We did it on our own though, so a tour with a driver will help. It is definitely a twisty road going up and our car found it hard to sleep going up.

Q3: We've done the Old Lahaina Luau and the Aulani VIP Luau. Loved both. Old Lahaina is definitely the more cost efficient luau. The two are actually quite similar...both have fun little stations to check out before the start of dinner. I like Old Lahaina a bit better but my kids are older (10 and 12) so the Mickey/Minnie/Disney factor wasn't as high. If you don't do Old Lahaina Luau, try to eat at Aloha Mixed Plate...it's the same kichen as Old Lahaina Luau and has some of the same food.

A few other notes...
Maui Snorkeling - it's pretty easy to pick up a snorkeling tour in Lahaina, definitely well worth it. You'll want to go out earlier as the waters get a bit choppy by afternoon.

Road to Hana - we opted out of this one as we has just done a driving tour of the big island, but have heard what the previous poster said. It's a long day and twisty. If you do the Road to Hana on your own, you might want to start in Paia, which is a cool town, and Mama's Fish House is a must in Paia.

Grocery - There's a Safeway in Lahaina (right in front of the Old Lahaina Luau) that is a very easy stop on the drive between the airport to the hotel. Might be a good spot to pick up food as you head in from the airport.

Beach time - I was surprised by how little my kids wanted to do in Maui. They really liked just hanging out at the beach and pool. You'll definitely get plenty of beach and pool at Aulani too.

Have fun!!!! Shout if any other questions:)

Thank you so much for the great information! We are also DVC members at BWV. We bought DVC when the kids were 2 and 3 (now 21 and 19) and its the best money we've ever spent! We've loved it so much we're thinking of buying another time share (Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt??) so we have more vacation choices as we approach retirement. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion about stopping at the Safeway on our way in from the airport. I'll look to see how late they're open and make a shopping list.

Your note about snorkeling in the morning is much appreciated. I'll make sure to book an early time on Wednesday morning. Is it worth it to go to Molokini and Turtle Town or is Lanai a better location to see fish and turtles? I've read many mixed reviews. I know we prefer a smaller boat (not 55-75 people) but a 25 person max.

We'll also do the Old Lahaina Luau on Wednesday instead of after Haleakala.

Thanks so much for the great suggestions!!!

Thank you so much for the great information! We are also DVC members at BWV. We bought DVC when the kids were 2 and 3 (now 21 and 19) and its the best money we've ever spent! We've loved it so much we're thinking of buying another time share (Marriott, Hilton or Hyatt??) so we have more vacation choices as we approach retirement. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestion about stopping at the Safeway on our way in from the airport. I'll look to see how late they're open and make a shopping list.

Your note about snorkeling in the morning is much appreciated. I'll make sure to book an early time on Wednesday morning. Is it worth it to go to Molokini and Turtle Town or is Lanai a better location to see fish and turtles? I've read many mixed reviews. I know we prefer a smaller boat (not 55-75 people) but a 25 person max.

We also own dvc and Marriott. Planning on adding more Marriott points as retirement gets closer for retirement Travel. We will be back at Maui ocean club next year so this thread has been very helpful. We’ve been there once before but we were all exhausted and the weather wasn’t great so ended up spending most of our time at the resort (our day trips were rained out) Still had a great time but hoping to see more of the island next trip. I went to Maui years ago - pre kids- and have bad memories of the drive to Hana so I’m not sure we will repeat it w the kids.

How have you enjoyed your Marriott ownership, is it easy to stay at other locations? How long have you been an owner at Cypress Harbour? Lastly, did you buy resale or through Marriott? Sorry for all the questions, but we are just starting to research our options.

On Tuesday you really are not giving yourself enough time to arrive home from the tour and get to the time share presentation. That could really mess you up. Just in general, many times tours run over.

I'm happy to answer questions, and maybe we can help each other as we are just starting to look into options for adding points to our membership. We are lucky because my husband's parents bought a week at Cypress Harbor many years ago. When they became unable to travel and use it, they gave it to us (about 13 years ago). So we owned when Marriott was a "weeks" system, and through the transition to points. Not sure if you are familiar with that (and sorry if it is too much info), but it used to be set up so that be we owned a week to use during spring break time at Cypress Harbor, or we could trade for a week elsewhere, really without regard to the number of "points" it would take to book elsewhere. So we used that week to stay in Hawaii (Oahu), even though the Oahu property was technically more expensive. Then they converted to a points system, and they frankly screwed the prior owners in the transition. Our week was valued at a number of points that wasn't even adequate to book the same room category at Cypress Harbor if we didn't use it in our designated week (its worth X points, but it takes x+1000 to book our room!) so if we didn't want to go during spring break, we didn't have enough points to go unless we combined it with another year). So we felt like we had to buy more points to maintain the value in our week and keep it useful. We bought direct, to a "Select" level (the number of points you own determines how far in advance you can book - we can book for a week 12 months out, less than that at 10 months). Since our first week was a gift, it wasn't as painful as it would otherwise have been. With our extra points, we have been very happy with Marriott. I have been successful booking Maui weeks twice now (which I am told is a difficult reservation to get), as well as elsewhere. For Maui, the first year I miscalculated dates and was two days late, and it was full already. I had to shift our vacation dates to get in. This year I booked the moment the window opened, and had no problem. And I've allowed friends to use some of our points that we couldn't fully use. I could still easily use my week to stay during my designated time period at Cypress Harbor - we like that resort but try to stay onsite at Disney now. My main issue is that it is a little stressful managing two timeshares and planning far enough ahead to get what we want without wasting points. A good spreadsheet is critical! :)

We just started looking into the best way to buy more points, as we are starting to think about our retirement plans and travelling on Marriott (and DVC) points is our plan. My preliminary research suggests that there may be some difficult resale restrictions on Marriott points. I don't think the market is nearly as good as DVC. But I'm just getting started and interested in what you learn. I will update you if I find out anything more.

Good luck!

One more thing -- if you are interested in cabanas or reserved beach chairs, call to book them now. they fill up.

We LOVE BWV !!! We bought in to DVC (started with BLT) around the same ages for ours and completely agree with you. We've really enjoyed our DVC. We are also considering a non-Disney option. We were in Maui checking out Hyatt Residences. We really liked them. Still sorting our options but strong possibility for us because we like Kaanapali Beach so much.

The Safeway in Lahaina should be open 24/7.

All of your snorkel options are fantastic. You won't regret any of them. We liked the Pacific Whale Watch Foundation which I believe does a Molinkin and Turtle Town snorkel. It does leave earlier. We liked that they kept a naturalist on board and their conservation/education aspect. I don't recall where they cap the tour sizes.

https://www.pacificwhale.org/cruises/maui-snorkel/

Keep us posted on your plans and any questions. Can't wait to hear about the trip. Sending sunshine vibes your way.

We stayed 3 nights at the Westin Maui on Kaanapali Beach. Loved it!

Question - Is anyone familiar with the drive from the airport in Maui to Lahaina? Will it be difficult in the dark?

I agree with PP that its straightforward, but will be dark. Its not difficult to find your way though, from what I recall.

Take sunset pictures at the beach and go to an early dinner in either Kaanapali Beach or Lahaina.

We loved Front St Lahaina! We ate Lahaina Pizza Company which was a super casual open air pizza place on the second level, with a beautiful ocean view.

Not sure what to do in the afternoon and evening??

I think you'd have enough time for the luau on Tuesday, but Wednesday works just as well. Another suggestion for Tuesday is dinner and shopping at Whaler's Village in Kaanapali. Its right next door to the Westin where we stayed. A handful of stores, but two nice open air restaurants on the beach - Hula Grill and Leilani's. We eat at Hula Grill and enjoyed Hawaiian music during dinner. A nice relaxing evening. You wouldn't be as pressed for time visiting here, but they do recommend reservations for the dining room of either restaurant. Hula Grill does have a walk-up more casual bar & grill side, but the waits can get long.

Honestly, you can save some money and do the Road to Hana yourself since you will have a rental car.

FWIW, some rental car companies have restrictions on taking rental cars down the Road to Hana. Plus, it can be a long day and a long, stressful drive. It's not that enjoyable for the driver, especially in the dicey sections. I personally would rather do a tour with a driver who is familiar with the roads and the best places for photos.

We stayed 3 nights at the Westin Maui on Kaanapali Beach. Loved it!

I agree with PP that its straightforward, but will be dark. Its not difficult to find your way though, from what I recall.

We loved Front St Lahaina! We ate Lahaina Pizza Company which was a super casual open air pizza place on the second level, with a beautiful ocean view.

I think you'd have enough time for the luau on Tuesday, but Wednesday works just as well. Another suggestion for Tuesday is dinner and shopping at Whaler's Village in Kaanapali. Its right next door to the Westin where we stayed. A handful of stores, but two nice open air restaurants on the beach - Hula Grill and Leilani's. We eat at Hula Grill and enjoyed Hawaiian music during dinner. A nice relaxing evening. You wouldn't be as pressed for time visiting here, but they do recommend reservations for the dining room of either restaurant. Hula Grill does have a walk-up more casual bar & grill side, but the waits can get long.

FWIW, some rental car companies have restrictions on taking rental cars down the Road to Hana. Plus, it can be a long day and a long, stressful drive. It's not that enjoyable for the driver, especially in the dicey sections. I personally would rather do a tour with a driver who is familiar with the roads and the best places for photos.

Thank you so much for the restaurant suggestions! I was disappointed to learn that our 1 bedroom villa at Marriott Ocean Club only has a mini fridge and microwave. I guess we've been spoiled with the full kitchens at DVC villas. I typically don't cook dinner, but it's nice to have room for wine, beer, water and breakfast things. Then go out to dinner :)

Although an expense, we felt getting a tour guide would be worth it for the drive to Hana. We both want to be able to enjoy the sights and take it all in without the stress of driving.

Thanks again!!

Thank you so much for the restaurant suggestions! I was disappointed to learn that our 1 bedroom villa at Marriott Ocean Club only has a mini fridge and microwave. I guess we've been spoiled with the full kitchens at DVC villas. I typically don't cook dinner, but it's nice to have room for wine, beer, water and breakfast things. Then go out to dinner :)

Although an expense, we felt getting a tour guide would be worth it for the drive to Hana. We both want to be able to enjoy the sights and take it all in without the stress of driving.

Thanks again!!
Fyi for the future there are two different towers at Maui ocean club. One has kitchens and one does not. It’s easy to get confused as most mvc properties have kitchens like dvc (at least where we have stayed)

We took a Road to Hana tour and were very glad we did. The guides shared lots of great information and stopped at great places. It is not a road that you want to drive and have the driver distracted...and that would be sad because there are so many beautiful things to see. The road is so narrow that at times the mini bus literally brushed the sides of the hills so two vehicles could get through at the same time. it is a beautiful trip though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter