Mary Lou Retton Fighting for Her Life in ICU

Financial literacy aside (and yes, they should have personal finance units in HS -- I did a segment for a class in HS, we had to come up with a budget and bring in receipts that showed how much things cost. It was far too basic, but that was also 40+ yrs ago lol).

There is literally NO EXCUSE that a 55 year old person who has earned MILLIONS of dollars in their life can claim that financial literacy not being taught in HS explains her current predicament. Like I posted earlier, she would be FAR from the only pro athlete to end up broke, but given the fact that she's in her mid 50s, raised 4 kids and all the other resources she would have had...no excuses. It's not like we're talking about a 20-something athlete thinking they have 10 years of high earnings to be set for life, only to find they had a career ending injury after they've purchased the mansion and ferrari or whatever.

I have a friend who looks at his ATM receipt to see the available balance in his account.
i suspect it is the exception vs. the rule that people do at least a monthly balancing of their 'checkbooks' (they still call them checking accounts though most no longer use checks).
He writes checks? :)

some items i will ONLY use a paper check for-

property taxes
vendors/service providers that upcharge for debit card/credit card
medical bills/co-pays (b/c i can write in the memo the family member/date of service)

i suspect it is the exception vs. the rule that people do at least a monthly balancing of their 'checkbooks' (they still call them checking accounts though most no longer use checks).

property taxes
medical bills/co-pays (b/c i can write in the memo the family member/date of service)
For me, it’s mostly for gifts (weddings), contractors (home) and for providers that still use fax machines :)

Last edited:
I’m reading that she is now home! How the heck do you go from being on Life Support with a “major set back” to being home in less than a week?
im glad she’s recovered enough to go home

It was an elective in my New Jersey HS in the late 70s. For one marking period of about 9 weeks. I took the course and the other 3 marking periods were Study Hall.
I have a friend who looks at his ATM receipt to see the available balance in his account.
Many people leave their ATM receipts on top of the machine in my company’s locations despite trash cans bring located right next to them.

Sometimes I’m nosy and look at the discards when cleaning up. There are a lot transactions declined for insufficient funds, and plenty that show balances well under $100.

And one time a discarded receipt showed a balance of something like $135K.

Last edited:
He doesn't take into account the checks he's already written.
Hey, if the ATM says the money is there, who is he to argue?

I knew a girl in college the same way. When she got her banking statement and it was higher than her checkbook register (due to checks not yet cleared), she considered it “found money.”

While blessed with enough of an education at a primary level, I have literally made every financial mistake possible in the early adulting years - some by choice and others by circumstances at the time. So no, I don’t subscribe to making school the only solution to and cause of all life’s problems.

Basic Financial Literacy is an active (not passive) adulting activity, requiring a level of personal responsibility, and caring (or not) about negative outcomes. Frankly, it doesn’t take long to find out that you can’t spend more than you are earning. Even offering curricula in school, teaching basic practices of good financial hygiene, requires the student to actually listen and apply the lessons later.

Clearly, those earning at poverty levels (and many above it) have a different set of life challenges/choices which may force situations of only paying the minimum balance on a credit card as an example - which is likely the least of their problems in a given season of life.

Regardless, the math and life lessons remain unflinchingly the same for all. Fortunately, many of us also seem to be blessed in this country with a handy little tool (often at a young age), to employ a basic method of gaining information by typing a phrase into a box starting with “how do I …”. That might require some to spend less time on Tik Tok and Insta, but it’s likely a better source of valuable information - or at least a start.

Amen. Therapists don’t visit the uninsured.
I have medical providers that I pay OOP because they don’t accept insurance. I can’t imagine not being able to find a PT who wouldn’t accept payment. As for leaving the hospital, my sister had her appendix out recently at 3 pm, she was back at home that evening (the surgeon the hospital called was out of network and they explained it would be easier if she was discharged).

property taxes
I pay bills online, there is a memo spot. My town charges high fees to pay property taxes with a credit card (and taxes are high), most pay via check.

I have medical providers that I pay OOP because they don’t accept insurance. I can’t imagine not being able to find a PT who wouldn’t accept payment. As for leaving the hospital, my sister had her appendix out recently at 3 pm, she was back at home that evening (the surgeon the hospital called was out of network and they explained it would be easier if she was discharged).

MLR also has a little windfall to the tune of $500k she can help to pay for the treatment she needs. As much as her decision to forgo health insurance is shocking, her not getting proper follow up healthcare would be even more ridiculous.

At this point we don't know if her condition updates were purposely vague or exaggerated, we don't know if she was about to be penniless already. Presuming she's not going to have long term health challenges that prevent her from working in any capacity, she'll be able to earn income relatively easily as compared to most people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter