Marvelous May 2021 Exercise Thread

Raya

DIS Veteran
:welcome:Marvel-ous May 2021 exercise thread! :welcome:

This month we're going to take a journey through the Marvel movies and comics. I'm hoping to inspire you with Marvel history, wisdom, and deep thoughts!

If you’re returning, welcome back superheroes! If you’re new, welcome to the team! Here’s how it works:

Each person chooses a time goal and posts minutes towards that goal as they exercise. You can post daily or just catch up when you can. You decide what movement counts towards your goal - which can be a nice round total for the month, a specific number that means something to you, or a calculation based on a target number of minutes per day.

Since April has 30 days, here are some common conversions:

15 minutes/day = 450
20 minutes/day = 600
30 minutes/day = 900
45 minutes/day = 1350
1 hour/day = 1800

One of the special motivations of our Disney challenge is color changing! Page one will be updated with individual and team color changes as we make more and more progress.

10% - Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel Blue
25% - Phoneix Orange
50% - Hawkeye Purple
75% - Gambit Pink (FE019A)
90% - Iron Man Red
100% - Gamora Green

(Don't worry, you'll learn more about these people as the challenge goes on)

We’re officially starting this challenge on May 1, but if you don’t find the thread until later in the month, you’re still welcome to join! There's no better time than the present to start toward your goals! Just post your goal and I’ll add you to the list. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and to check out old threads to see what’s been going on.

Participants:
BonnieF - 500/700
EmilyGahr - 742/900

Elizabeth Smith - 40/750
ljcrochet - 368/300
piglet1979 - 1748 /1800

PollyannaMom - 465/500
Raya - 1010/550
sophy1996 - 1455/1400
Statefan17 - 942/900
swissfamilyrobinson - 656/600

Twilight Sparkle - 2300 /2500

Team Total - 10,196/10,900 93.5%

Last updated: 5/31 12:44ET

All right, heroes, let's get to work!

Excelsior!

Last edited:
Good morning, everyone! Welcome to May!

I've been a Marvel fan all my life, starting with comics as an 8 year old and now a huge Marvel Movie-verse fan. I'm impressed with what Disney has done with the Marvel properties, but I'm not just going to focus on the 'Disney era' Marvel here. I'm going to share history of the comics through the ages.

Let's start with the creator of many Marvel comics - Stan Lee. Stan (along with artist Jack Kirby) was began some of most of the popular comic stories you know: Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, Black Panther, and the X-Men. In the early days he used the phrase "Exclesior!" at the end of his monthly column to fans published in the back of comics. Stan created the phrase to mean Upward and Onward to Greater Glory!

And that's what I want us to think about this month. Where ever you are, whatever you can do, go upward and onward to greater glory. Take the next right step toward being the super hero you really are!

Last edited:

Yay! I found you guys! I'm back for another 2500. Turns out even though I can't ride for awhile yet, the chores involved in caring for him are possibly an even better workout and, unfortunately, more time-consuming. I could probably bump it up, but I don't want to get too ambitious!

315 minutes so far - mostly horse-related but also some resistance band videos and pilates

315/2500

Thanks for hosting, Raya!

Good morning, everyone! Welcome to May!

I've been a Marvel fan all my life, starting with comics as an 8 year old and now a huge Marvel Movie-verse fan. I'm impressed with what Disney has done with the Marvel properties, but I'm not just going to focus on the 'Disney era' Marvel here. I'm going to share history of the comics through the ages.

View attachment 571788
Let's start with the creator of many Marvel comics - Stan Lee. Stan (along with artist Jack Kirby) was began some of most of the popular comic stories you know: Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, Black Panther, and the X-Men. In the early days he used the phrase "Exclesior!" at the end of his monthly column to fans published in the back of comics. Stan created the phrase to mean Upward and Onward to Greater Glory!

And that's what I want us to think about this month. Where ever you are, whatever you can do, go upward and onward to greater glory. Take the next right step toward being the super hero you really are!
Wish I could extra love this post and your goal for us. I'm super excited to learn more from the comics because I only know the movies and now WandaVision. Looks like there are several series I need to catch up on. Wish we still had Stan with us!

I’m going to try for 300 minutes this month. I stopped working out regularly when I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer but I’m not letting chemo kick my butt.

30 minutes so far this month

Good morning everyone! I've updated our totals on the front page. Congrats to
BonnieF, ljcrochet and Twilight Sparkle for making it to Blue! And super congrats to sopy for hitting orange so early in the month!

Kamala_Khan.jpg

In honor of our Blue folks I want to talk about Kamala Khan, AKA Ms. Marvel! Kamala (pronounced just like the VP, so take the word "comma" and add a "-la" sound to the end: "Comma-la.") is Muslim-American, Pakistani teenager from New Jersey. She idolizes superheros, like Captain Marvel, and is generally a great big fan-girl, reading and writing fan fic in her spare time.

So why did I pick her? Because Ms. Marvel struggles with being a 'second string superhero in a second string city'. She wants to be an Avengers, she longs to make a difference, but in the end she's a kid and can't do as much as the others. We're at the start of our fitness month, and I want to remind all of you of something she said (it's a quote from the Quarn):

marvel-2.png

"And whoever saves one person it is as if he has saved all of mankind."

It's a bit cheesy to say being active is saving yourself, but it's not a lie. And while it's hard to keep going for walks when you want to run a marathon or lift a million pounds, try to remember that small acts matter. Sometimes they matter even more than the big ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter