Marvel MagicBand

Cjtigger

Mouseketeer
i want to get hubby a MagicBand for our upcoming trip but I noticed there aren't any Marvel bands. Why??

My first guess would be legal complications due to existing contracts between Marvel and Universal that predate Disney's acquisition of the former.

You could always get a plain solid color magic band, and then design your own Marvel design, and have it printed up by Magicyourband.com I got skins for our magic bands from them last year, and they worked quite well.

i want to get hubby a MagicBand for our upcoming trip but I noticed there aren't any Marvel bands. Why??

In a super weird twist of intellectual property rights, Universal owns the rights to the Marvel comic characters *in theme parks on the east coast*. That's why there's rides like Spider-Man and Hulk at Universal Orlando. I think the rights are in perpetuity but I could be wrong.

That's probably part of why Disney went with Pandora instead of a Marvel theme land next.

In a super weird twist of intellectual property rights, Universal owns the rights to the Marvel comic characters *in theme parks on the east coast*. That's why there's rides like Spider-Man and Hulk at Universal Orlando. I think the rights are in perpetuity but I could be wrong.

That's probably part of why Disney went with Pandora instead of a Marvel theme land next.
Ironically, this is probably why they can do Marvel days at sea with DCL.

Ironically, this is probably why they can do Marvel days at sea with DCL.

Good point. I wonder if they have to keep the characters/costumes stowed until they're out at sea.

But I think it's east coast theme parks only. I know literally nothing about Disneyland so I don't know if they have Marvel stuff there. I only learned about the Universal Orlando stuff when I was planning a recent trip there, I'm not sure I would have consciously thought about it otherwise.

Good point. I wonder if they have to keep the characters/costumes stowed until they're out at sea.

But I think it's east coast theme parks only. I know literally nothing about Disneyland so I don't know if they have Marvel stuff there. I only learned about the Universal Orlando stuff when I was planning a recent trip there, I'm not sure I would have consciously thought about it otherwise.
They do have Marvel at Disneyland. We met Spiderman in a meet and greet there <3 My middle kid was awestruck (he's only mildly obsessed with Spiderman).

I think the Ear Hats are "Disney Parks" merch, not "Walt Disney World" merch, so they might be able to get away with it that way, since they're sold at both parks. Magic Bands (I think) are WDW specific, so no loophole there.

As for the rights being "in perpetuity," I read something back when the takeover happened that Disney could technically sue/take Universal to court to get the rights back, but they felt it would be overly costly and ultimately detrimental to both Universal and WDW, not to mention Orlando as a whole, so decided not to. Though, for all I know, the writer could've just been making stuff up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter