• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marvel Day at Sea timing

LambertLion

Love the cruise life!
Does anyone know why they only offer the MDAS cruises January thru early March, when most kids are in school? Really want to be able to hit this one badly, but I'm not interested in taking my son out of school for a week. We did it once (took him out of school for the Hawaiian cruise) but he was much younger and easier for him to miss and make up. I just wonder why Disney doesn't offer this itinerary more often throughout the year.

I'm guessing because that time of year is considered the off season so they do it to try to get more people to cruise then. We actually prefer to cruise Jan-March and I wish they would also offer the Star Wars cruise some other time. We've already done 2 SW cruises, with a 3rd one booked for next year. We aren't even SW fans, so I'd love to have a 7night cruise then that isn't SW themed.

I'd love to have that problem! I love SW too but we've made it to a SWDAS cruise before during spring break time frame. We just can't manage the MDAS...

The point of the themed cruises is to fill the ships during the lower season. It brings guests that are fans who would not sail (or sail then), allows them to ask more for cruises instead of disounting them and creates exclusivity for two of their ships. Those days also involve a lot more work and costs for DCL, including extra actors, so they have no reason to hold them during periods where they are already charging the maximum they can and the ships are full.

Thanks! That would explain it, but it almost seems like punishment for those who sail regularly with them. They could offer at least one or two for those of us who put out tons of money for these cruises and keep coming back.

Thanks! That would explain it, but it almost seems like punishment for those who sail regularly with them. They could offer at least one or two for those of us who put out tons of money for these cruises and keep coming back.
The problem with that, if we admit they have space onboard to store the extra decors needed for the atrium, the M&G, the Dr Strange show and the costumes at all times, is the fact that they must offer contracts with set durations to the actors playing the characters. They board the ship, work for a numbers of continuous weeks then go on to another contract with them or elsewhere. They can’t just use anyone, as all the actors must know enough about the Marvel universe and their own character. Plus, since most characters are face characters, they can’t be used for anything else around the ship.

Does anyone know why they only offer the MDAS cruises January thru early March, when most kids are in school? Really want to be able to hit this one badly, but I'm not interested in taking my son out of school for a week. We did it once (took him out of school for the Hawaiian cruise) but he was much younger and easier for him to miss and make up. I just wonder why Disney doesn't offer this itinerary more often throughout the year.

They did offer some in the fall out of NYC in 2017. Perhaps they will again in the future. Ours was Thanksgiving week, so Merrytime and MDAS. But, there were some that were in October, so HOTHS and MDAS.

They did offer some in the fall out of NYC in 2017. Perhaps they will again in the future. Ours was Thanksgiving week, so Merrytime and MDAS. But, there were some that were in October, so HOTHS and MDAS.
We were on one of the October MDAS sailings. Overall my favorite sailing to date, but super busy. We came back exhausted. I heard others feeling the same way - too much for one cruise. Between MDAS, HOTS and pirate night, it was jam packed (as were our suitcases with all the costume changes :)). Of course, we didn't need to participate in everything, but I think even the CD had a hard time scheduling it all. Our sailing included a day at WDW, so a 7 night sailing was, from an onboard activities point of view, a 6 night. Add in Tangled with the Snuggly Duckling takeover, etc., and it was madness. Super fun, but madness. Perhaps DCL decided it was too much to fit MDAS into an already-themed cruise.

We were on the second ever MDAS sailing in October 2017. It was very fun. Unless your son is sitting the ACT or similar I wouldn't worry about him missing a week of school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter