Mardi Gras Mambo 2024

brandijo5

LSU Tiger Stadium - No Place Like It!!!!!!!!!
So myself, Brandi, and DH along with DD14 and DD12 decided to take advantage of the girls being out of school for a whole week due to the Mardi Gras holiday and head down to Orlando. We’ve done Disney and last year, the Disney cruise out of NOLA. So we wanted something a bit different. The girls were 4 and 2 last time we visited Universal, and we’ve never stayed there. So Universal it is!!! We waited a bit to see if DD14 (Freshman in high school) would have a band commitment the week of Mardi Gras. Once we were certain she didn’t, we booked our trip (right after Christmas). I basically did a few hours of research before we decided to stay at Cabana Bay. And of course we couldn’t go to Orlando without going to Disney, so we bought 1 day tickets for MK.

Saturday February 10 – Left Louisiana at 3 in the morning. I know a lot of people fly and it’s super quick out of NOLA, however, we would need a vehicle and flying along with a rental just added too much $$$ to the trip. (We have other vacations planned this year.) So we left early and everyone crashed while I drove us to Lake City. DH took over driving and we got to Cabana Bay around 2 PM EST. I was worried our room may not be ready or check in could be delayed due to a stated 3 PM check in time, however check in was a breeze (Thanks Shauna!!!)

We dropped our luggage in our room (a suite in the Castaway building) and changed into our swimsuits to hit the pool. DH took a nap while the girls and I enjoyed the pools and lazy river. We stayed down in the pools area (there’s two areas one with pool and slide and the other pool and lazy river) until around 5 so we could change, grab some dinner and hit up Walmart.

We ended up eating at Taco Bell (girls’ choice) and grabbing breakfast items and drinks for the room at Walmart. Once we got back, I showered and crashed while DH and the girls hit the pool/lazy river once again.

Sunday February 11 – We got up early and ate breakfast in the room. We had a microwave, fridge, and coffeemaker in our room. The coffee provided was awful. (I ended up at Starbucks.) There was a bus waiting to head to the parks when we got to the stop. I’m not sure if this is a Universal norm as Disney is all I have to compare it to, but we waited until the seats on the bus were full before we left. Another bus pulled in as we pulled away. The ride to the stop was quick and easy and I'm not sure when metal detectors (TSA style) went up at the parks, but it made bag check a breeze.

We headed towards IOA for early entry. The face recognition thing at IOA is a pain and took what seemed like forever. Still in all, the Velocicoaster was a walk on ride once we were in the park and DD14 begged me to ride with her. I like coasters, but I wasn’t sure about this. I did it though. DH and DD12 wanted no part of it, so they waited for us. We headed to Hogsmeade after and rode Forbidden Journey due to Hagrids being a 2 hour wait. Once FJ was done, DH and I grabbed butterbeers while the girls rode the Hippogriffs. The posted wait for Hippogriffs was 55 minutes but they were done in closer to 40. Next we hit up Marvel Island and spent a great deal of time here. The girls absolutely loved Spiderman and DD14 wasn’t leaving without riding Hulk Coaster.

We ventured over to Seuss Landing and had lunch at Circus McGurkus. We were told by a CM that this area was recently refurbished and the menu was different. He recommended some dishes for us to try. Girls both had chicken and biscuit (which was delicious) and DH and I had big top burger (very good). We also bought freestyle cups and had those for the rest of our trip.

DD12 has loved The Lorax since she was a small tot and was thrilled he was performing along with other Dr Seuss characters right as we finished up lunch. She was able to get a pic with him and her whole trip was made. The girls rode the rides in Seuss landing and then we got dessert and enjoyed as we walked over to Jurassic Park. Velocicoaster was well over 2 hours so we enjoyed Pterandon Flyer. DD12 wanted to ride FJ again so we walked over to Hogsmead and did that. I'm not sure how long Hagrid’s was, but I wasn’t planning on riding it bc we weren’t waiting 2+ hours to ride. We wandered around Hogsmeade sampling treats and people watching.

By this point we had rode everything except the 2 water rides (which none of us wanted to ride). Girls wanted to go back to Marvel Island, so we did and rode Spiderman again. It had a 30 minutes wait posted, but was more around 15. Once done, there was a 5 minute wait posted, so girls rode it again, while DH and I filled the Freestyle cups. Once that ride was done, girls insisted on riding spiderman once more (which was still a walk on), and DH and I found a bench and waited for them. We wandered around and rode Kong once more and then DH decided he wanted to head back to the resort to watch the Superbowl.

City walk was extremely crowded, I assumed due to Superbowl parties. We found a table at Red Oven Pizza and ordered pizza for dinner. Once that was done, we headed down to the busses and there was one waiting when we arrived. Again, not sure if this is Universal norm, but they waited a few minutes before pulling off and another bus pulled in behind it.

Once we got back to the resort we all showered and tuned into the Superbowl. I fell asleep shortly after halftime.

Monday February 12 – I awoke to the news Kansas City won the Superbowl in OT. I am a huge football fan, and under ordinary circumstances, I’d have watched the entire game, but walking 8.5 miles on Sunday did me in. We got up and dressed quickly, once again eating breakfast in the room. Stopped by Starbucks and then headed to the bus stops where there were several busses. (Apparently a convention was going on and the participants were staying at Cabana Bay). We boarded a Universal bus (2 of them there waiting) and headed to IOA. We had a plan today. Get in and head straight to Hagrids. We were all pleased with wait times yesterday, so we assumed this being a Monday, wait times would be less. The line backed up over the bridge once we arrived said differently. I was a bit worried, thinking perhaps I may need to add express passes today. The parks opened up and the lines went quicker than they did on Sunday. We made our way to Hagrids and got in line, prepared to wait the 75 minute posted time. What I found was approximately a 45 minute from line entrance to off ride time. We promptly headed for Hogsmead station to head UO.

The train ride was awesome and the wait time was literally for the train to disembark. We enjoyed Diagon Alley and escape from Gringotts. Girls rode MIB while DH and I filled our freestyle cups. Then we headed to Simpsons land and rode the Simpsons ride which was a posted 45 minute wait, but felt much longer. Once off that and girls rode Kang, we had Krusty Burgers for lunch. Next we walked to ET, which had a 30 min wait time posted, but neither girl wanted to wait to ride. Instead we got in line for Transformers with about 30 min wait. Next we did Minion Mayhem and waited maybe 15 minutes to load in. We also ended up riding Fast and Furious and girls rode Mummy.

DH and I enjoyed a Blues Brother concert while girls rode Mummy. I wanted to ride the train back to IOA so I could see both shows. We headed back to Kings Cross and found a 45 minute wait. We waited about 35 minutes and was back in IOA once again. Of course the parks were closing at 6 so we headed out with everyone else. Girls wanted to try to eat at Toothsome, but I didn’t make any reservations. I really wanted a go with flow trip this time around. There was no availability at Toothsome so we opted to head back to the resort and eat there. Once again, we found a bus waiting on us and another pulled up ready to take more passengers. I couldn’t help but think how Disney could learn something here. To be fair though, Disney is managing more properties than Universal and we shall see what happens when Epic Universe and the two new hotels open up.

Girls remembered the 2 story McDonald’s from a previous trip and asked to go there for dinner instead, so once we were back at Cabana Bay, we hopped in the car and headed to a jam packed McDonald’s. Apparently everyone else wanted to visit the 2 story McDonald’s too. Once we were done eating, we went back to Cabana Bay. DD12 wanted to hit the lazy river, but once she got in the room she sat in a chair and promptly passed out. She woke up long enough to crawl into bed at some point 😊

Tuesday February 13 – Today was a planned down day. We slept in and once everyone was awake, showered and dressed, we headed to waffle house for a big breakfast. (We passed it earlier in the week and the girls asked to have breakfast there one morning.) The plan was a big breakfast and no lunch due to an already planned early dinner. After breakfast, we headed back to the resort where the girls swam and DH and I lounged by the pool. Around 2 we headed back to the room to get dressed and head to our dinner reservation.

Don’t flame me here, but anytime there’s a possibility of us going to Orlando, we get an O’Hana reservation. If plans fall through I cancel the ressie (always in plenty of time so someone else can grab it). I will admit that before we ever really set out to head to Orlando, I booked a ressie. I just had a feeling we’d end up back at Disney. So off to the Poly we headed for dinner. Check in was prompt and we were seated quickly after.

Dinner, as usual, was delicious. DH and I honeymooned in Disney 19 years ago and we ate at O’Hana then. Ever since that trip, we make it a point to eat at O’Hana at least once on our trip (we ate there twice one previous trip). The girls love it as well. After dinner, we went to Disney Springs where we wandered around and walked off dinner. I got in line at Gideons because I’d heard great things about them. DH and girls headed to Lego store. The line was down the sidewalk, but I was in the store in about 15 minutes. I ended up getting triple chocolate cookie, strawberry delight (cookie of the month) and a cookies and cream cookie. My plan was to taste each cookie and not eat a whole one. If I had been smart I’d have gotten my own strawberry delight because it was delicious. DH loved the triple chocolate, but then again he’s a chocoholic. I found it too sweet. DD12 loved cookies and cream but couldn’t finish hers. (It made for a nice snack on the way home).

We wandered around a bit more and then headed back to the resort. Tomorrow was MK day and I wanted to get an early start.

Wednesday February 14 – Today is Valentine’s Day!!! I awoke my Valentine’s with candy and cards I’d pre packed, and we got dressed and ate breakfast quickly. Stopped at a Starbucks on the way due to mobile order (seriously, best thing ever) and made our way to the MK. We got there around 710 and I was encouraged the lines at TTC weren’t terrible at all. Maybe Valentine’s Day at MK wouldn’t be as packed as I thought. We hopped on a monorail and made our way over to MK. We got through security and into the park about 740. Since we had no early entry, we had to wait. The crowds seemed light, and I was encouraged. Once rope drop happened, we went to Seven Dwarfs which was already a 90 min wait. Instead we headed for Frontierland for DD12 favorite roller coaster, BTMRR. 15 minutes later, we were flying through the west!!! Next we went to Pirates, but it was down, so we headed to Jungle Cruise. 40 min wait posted and that’s about what we waited. Girls loved this; neither remembered riding it on earlier trips. Did the tree house (because there’s some things that you do every trip regardless).

Pirates was still down with no estimate as to when it’d be back up, so we hit HM. 30 min wait but was prob closer to 20. Once off HM, mobile ordered at Sleepy Hollow for Chicken and waffle sandwiches. Delicious. Next we went over to Fantasyland to check out Dumbo, but nobody was interested with a 40 min wait time posted. At this point in the day I noticed the park was quite crowded. We rode Barnstormer (40 min posted) because it had the shortest wait of any ride in the park. We headed to Big Top for snacks and found a shady spot to sit and rest.

We headed to Tomorrowland, rode SM. 80 minute wait time posted, and we waited every minute of it, if not longer. Rode Carousel of Progress bc DD12 loves it. It was a nice break, but I wouldn’t have been disappointed had we not rode it. By this point, it was close to our BG for Tron. (By sheer luck I was on the Disney app this morning and saw where you could join a virtual que for Tron. At exactly 7:00 I joined the 4 of us and our BG was 92. It was 4:45 before I got a notification.) After COP we got more snacks and enjoyed people watching in MK. Watching people scream and seeing how fast Tron went, DD12 chickened out. DH said he had a headache and wasn’t up for riding, so off they went while DD14 and I waited an hour to ride. I also got a notification while we were waiting Pirates would not be available today.

It's great and intense, but no way would I stand in line for hours to ride this. By this point everyone was hungry, and DH had the bright idea we would eat at Tony’s. I had no ressies anywhere in MK and told him it was unlikely we’d get at TS dinner. Still we headed to Main Street to try. After confirming what I knew, we wandered down Main Street (also trying CP and Skipper Canteen) before settling on Pecos Bill. DH got a burger (said it was very good), DD14 and DD12 had chicken nachos and I got a kids pork carnitas rice bowl which was delicious.

I checked wait times, but everything was close to or over an hour. DD12 begged to ride seven dwarfs so we all got in line with a 90 min posted wait. The line at one point completely quit moving and I heard no trains running so I thought the ride was down. But after about 20 minutes I heard the trains moving again and the line began moving again. As frustrating as it was to wait this long to ride something, it was totally worth it to ride with the fireworks going off overhead while we rode.

Once off, we rode small world (because once again there’s some things that you do every trip regardless) and it was a walk on. I love this ride because when my girls were little, they loved this ride. We got stuck on SW (everyone’s nightmare I know, but it wasn’t for long). Once off, the girls wanted to try for BTMRR once again, but the wait time was already 45 mins. DH was exhausted and said no so we wandered back down Main Street to head to the exits.

The monorail was extremely crowded and I wanted to take the ferry, which I don’t think was much better. My family overruled me, and we got in line for the monorail. It took about 4 trains before we finally got on, but we did manage to get a seat. We took a tram to our lot, but apparently I wasn’t paying attention and we got on the wrong tram and had to walk anyway. Once in the car, we stopped at the MK gas station where I got the girls slushies and DH topped off the tank with the cheapest gas in Orlando. Thursday we headed back home because DD12 had an eye dr appt and a sleepover for her besties bday on Friday.

Back home and few days later to process, I do no regret going to Universal at all. Compared to MK, the wait times were less. I felt like we got more accomplished in a shorter period of time there. I also feel like they have bigger thrill rides, which DD14 loved. While she loved Tron, she said Hagrid’s was her favorite ride of the trip. DD 12 and I agreed, while DH loves him some Spiderman and Transformers. Disney has a special place in our hearts; our family has had some memorable trips there. And we will go back once again. However, both girls definitely want to go back to Universal.

I loved the freestyle cups at Universal. Why they don’t work in Universal resorts is beyond me. That may be my only complaint regarding them. But it is still better than paying $5+ for drinks in Disney with no refills.

I'm not sure if we just lucked out or if this is how Universal does things, but the busses at Universal are infinitely better than when we stayed at POFQ in 22. I will give that Universal has less properties and basically one stop for both parks, whereas Disney has multiple resorts and 4 parks plus water parks and Disney Springs. But still after a long day in the parks to have a bus waiting on you is a definite advantage. And they were there in the mornings waiting on patrons as well.

The food, honestly hamburgers and chicken tenders are hamburgers and chicken tenders. Both parks do them well. Don’t really have another comparison.

All in all, a great trip, with wonderful weather and a great time with family.

So glad you had such a wonderful Universal (and WDW) trip! We've loved both for several years, and looking forward to our next trip in a couple of weeks. Glad everyone found some great things to love at Universal! we love Velocicoaster, all the HP stuff, and Spiderman is still one of my favorite rides, nostalgic. MiB too. Agree on the buses. Universal is a lot more efficient with those.
And Geaux Tigers!! I was born/raised in South Louisiana, both DH and I went to LSU! We also used to do our Mardi Gras in Orlando whenever we could. We'd usually still have time to get some Carnival fun in at home, and then head over there for the week.
Thanks for sharing all the fun and the TR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter