March weekend trip - DS reviews

cruisin5

DIS Veteran
Sorry, no pictures. I always think of it after I’ve scarfed down half my meal. Stayed at SSR for a 3 night weekend for dining around DS. I've been covid paranoid but was 2 weeks post 2nd vax and anxiously flew, ate and had a wonderful time. I saw more people on the travels Friday then I had in the past year. DS was a sea of humanity but the people without a mask were few and far between and everyone is walking. It did get quite crowded at the pinch points (near Lego) but we quickly learned to turn left after WOD and walk near the stores instead of along the lake.

Polite Pig – All three of us had the slider trio appetizers; shared sides were beet salads, brussel sprouts and sweet potato tots. Our plan was to mobile order but it ends at 6pm so we placed an order to go. Everything was delicious.

YeSake – OUTSTANDING tuna bowls and bubble lemonade.

Jaleo – First time here, it was a bit loud but the service and food were amazing. This could be my favorite restaurant at Disney. We shared the flautas (with cheese, of course), serrano ham, endives with goat cheese, chicken fritters, patatas bravas and the garlic shrimp. There was also a white bean salad I can’t find on the menu. Surprisingly, our least favorite was the patatas bravas. House sangria to wash it all down. Everything was unique enough but not too exotic. Everyone working wore N95 masks which I suspect was provided by the restaurant, YEAH!

Homecomin’ Brunch – We started with the deviled eggs and donuts with pecans, bacon and caramel sauce. One person had the chicken and donuts and the other two hallelujah biscuits. I ordered mine without eggs, I can’t imagine having scrambled eggs with fried chicken and I have an aversion to runny yolks. I was disappointed it was a chicken thigh, even Chef Art can’t make me like dark meat. It's everything everyone says, solid comfort food. Mashed potatoes and cheesy grits, OH MY! Started out with the Watermelon moonshine, it went down waaaayyyy too easy and fortunately, I stopped at one. Day drinking in the sweltering Florida sun is out of my league. (It was in the mid-80s but it felt sweltering to me!)

Wine Bar George – I had the Brightside but with vodka instead of tequila (I know my limits!). We shared the chicken skewers, burrata, saganaki on fire and the big board. Looking at the menu I just realized I forgot to order the mac and cheese bites! The burrata was excellent, perfectly lightly salted. Saganaki was disappointing – it quickly became a tough, chewy piece of cheese that was difficult to cut with a butter knife. We asked more bread and waited almost 10 minutes for four pieces for the three of us. That triple cream brie and humbolt were my favorites. Sitting upstairs, outside was the perfect way to end our three night stay.

Cannot wait for our May (and July and December trips). Pictures, next time for sure!

We were excited when we remembered Jaleo is at DS-love Spanish food and had an amazing meal at the one in Las Vegas a couple years back. I think we ended up just asking the waiter to bring the things he thought were best. Just booked a night without kids there for our May trip (my kids would probably enjoy but they would cost me a fortune there and we will need some alone time by then!).

We were excited when we remembered Jaleo is at DS-love Spanish food and had an amazing meal at the one in Las Vegas a couple years back. I think we ended up just asking the waiter to bring the things he thought were best. Just booked a night without kids there for our May trip (my kids would probably enjoy but they would cost me a fortune there and we will need some alone time by then!).

It was surprisingly affordable, dinner for the 3 of us including a half pitcher of sangria and a soda was $120 + tip; Polite Pig was $80 with no drinks!.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter