March Spring Break/Birthday trip

FeistyDisneyMom

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I am currently planning a trip in March to celebrate my daughter's 5th birthday. She's our 4th kiddo turning 5 and we've been lucky to make trips for the others, but never in March. I had been planning on doing it in June when the kids were all out of school, but just can't pass up the deals right now, and spring break for us lines up perfectly.

It looks like the Wine and Food festival will be happening in DCA while we are there, and I'm wondering what kinds of things are involved in that and if the kids will be interested or not.

Our age range is broader now too - oldest will almost be 12, and youngest is still under 2, so looking for any suggestions on things that can somehow hold everyone's interests. We've got 4 girls and 1 boy (7 yrs old). He is pretty tolerant of all the princess stuff, but we missed out on jedi training when it was his special trip and now it looks like that's no longer happening. So also looking for any suggestions on that kind of thing.

Our last trip was September 2016, before Pixar Land and I am excited to check that out! Would love any advice on must-do or probably-avoid items there! We did not have a maxpass option then either, so that'll be new to us.

We usually do at least one character dining experience, so also looking for any suggestions on what's good now. I personally have always loved the Minnie's breakfast buffet so I hope it is still fun! I can't find any princess dining options though. Am I just missing something? I'm guessing F! will still be down as well as WoC (so bummed - F! was down last trip too, and WoC has been the family favorite all 3 previous trips). So many other awesome things to do I know it'll be a magical event anyway :)

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Hmmm, let's see:
No more princess dining options. However, you can still meet the princesses at PFF. Also, Anna & Elsa still meet in the Animation Bldg. in DCA. Would your DD like a birthday meal at CCR -- there is a "Frozen" dining package that is special. Food & Wine is fun -- whether it will be fun for kids depends on whether you find food that they like. The menus will be posted here, so you'll be able to go over them. It might be fun to do the booths for a lunch or two if you find things the kids will like. Pixar Pier is just a re-do of Paradise Pier -- same rides, different exteriors. IC is more fun at night (we think), so make sure to get FPs for a nighttime ride at least once. The screaming fun wheel of death is still the wheel of death, no matter what the characters on the outside are. Non-swinging cars for us, thank you! Your oldest might enjoy doing The Void in DTD. I think kids need to be at least 10 to do that. Your son might enjoy some time in Launch Bay. New M&Gs and film props have been added -- you can meet Rey now. There is a restaurant/bowling alley in DTD now, where House of Blues used to be -- your kids might enjoy some time at Splitsville. No movie theater any more in DTD, but there are food trucks there now and live bands in the evenings.

Thank you! I'll look at the Frozen dining package - DD is going to love pretty much anything we end up doing. She gets excited for almost anything as long as we make sure she has enough sleep, water and snacks. The kids do like to try different foods (especially if they know there is a 'backup' plan aka hotdogs/pizza if the new stuff doesn't work out). I'll keep my eye out for the menu postings and see if my older kiddos want to pick a place in advance.

IC is definitely a must - I bet we'll go on it multiple times. Hadn't thought about the differences between day rides and night rides! Great idea! We did fun wheel swinging cars last trip and hubby and I regretted the choice almost instantly. If we do the wheel again, it'll either be stationary or watching the older kids enjoy. Had not heard of the Void - exclusive things for my oldest would be great! Spending a night in DTD seems like an excellent idea. We are renting a house for 6 nights and using 5 day park-hoppers - might start things off with some special time there.

Great food for thought :)

I'm wondering if doing the boutique makeover would make sense. I think all 3 of my girls would absolutely love it, just not sure if I have the right budget yet. Any one have experiences/suggestions for doing it early in the trip versus later? I'm thinking it might be super neat if the girls' hair is still done fancy when they go back to school, but having everything fancy the whole trip might be special too.

Just realized I have another big choice to make. We plan on doing 5-day hoppers, and we will get in on a Sunday, and checkout the following Saturday. I plan on doing DTD on Sunday afternoon/evening, but I'm not sure if we should do Monday-Friday or if we should skip one weekday and go on Saturday. We will be driving home Saturday, but we normally drive at night because it is easier on the kids and faster with less stops, but spending the day in the park may be a bit exhausting.

Booked the tea for the girls and me, and sending the boys and baby off somewhere else for late lunch that day. If anyone has suggestions for them, please feel free to share :) Thanks!

Last edited:
The boys might enjoy someplace at GardenWalk on your tea day. That is walkable (a little far, but not too far -- good if you want them to take a little bit more time). There is California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gump's, etc. You can look up GardenWalk's website to see the choices. They might like Pizza Press on Harbor. Or that might be a day for some lunch and bowling at Splitsville in DTD. If they're willing to drive, they might look at the Block at Orange. There are restaurants and a movie theater. Make sure to note your DD's birthday on your tea reservation and have her wear her birthday button.
Mondays have become busy days in the parks now -- play it by ear, but that might be the day to skip.

Booked makeovers for all the kids! Went with the middle of the trip since it worked into the plans better. Also booked the Minnie Breakfast at PI. They had a morning slot before park opens on Monday, so went with that. Looks like Tuesday or Saturday is going to be our day off.

I've read some mixed reviews of Goofy's Kitchen, but I'm thinking it might be a great way to kick off our week Sunday night especially with the Mickey and Minnie appearances.

We really like the donalds seaside breakfast. We do a later time so it’s really like an early lunch. Stitch is there and it’s the only place you can find thin. Donald, daisy and Minnie too. They do a dance party every 20 minute or so. It’s our favorite one. We liked it better than goofys kitchen. With it being stitch and Donald it might be a good one for your boy.

Loved the advice - booked it! Since it is in the hotel and you don't need tickets, I decided it'll be the perfect way to end the trip instead. The kids have been in a major Stitch mode lately too, so I hope they get to see him there! I think that first night we will stick to DTD, and maybe do the bowling. How far in advance do people usually reserve lanes/dinner there or would it be relatively safe to play it by ear and see how we feel when we get into town?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter