March 2016 Pre Trip and Trip reports

I noticed that towards your side of the loop next to the bathroom there was a big party going on Saturday night. The two sites on either side of the bathrooms had competing parties going on!!
Adults were celebrating while the tweens and younger ran around the loop on their own. I was too tired to let it keep me awake! We are seriously craving a class A!

Sur,

Speaking for myself only, the crazy behavior that goes on in the tent loops is the main reason why I don't camp in them any more. If I could be assured of getting in loop 1500, it might make putting up with boorish behavior worth while (seems to happen mostly on weekends but not exclusively). I said in a trip report over 5 years ago, there's nothing wrong with loop 2000 but sometimes the people in it make it not likeable. Of course, disruptive behavior can and does happen in all loops but it seems more prevalent in the tent loops. Just my unscientific opinion.

Wrapping up my portion of the March 2016 trip report, we were attempting to do another full day in the MK on Tuesday (8am-mid). We wanted to see the pre-show at the MK and be at the front for rope drop once on this trip so we caught the first small boat (blue flag) on the right side of the Fort dock at 650am and rode it to the Contemporary and walked to the MK. Once the boat pushed back from the dock, it was 20 minutes till we were at the MK bag check.

I'm not going to go blow-by-blow on our last full day of the vacation which was in the MK. But I will share some nuggets from along the way.

First, there's not much that will stop people in their tracks when they are hell bent on getting to the rides after rope drop but this momma duck and her little ones had the right-of-way and everyone paused to let them pass. (Please forgive DD's what-nots - she took the picture).

I commented earlier in this trip report that I believe the Stand-by Wait Times are purposely inflated. Even so, a posted wait time of 170 minutes (nearly 3 hours) is still a ridiculously long time to wait for 7DMT. We rode it once on a FP+ and if I don't ride it again, I'll live.

Previously I shared the issue of the rain that came in the afternoon. We had just finished our FP+ for Splash Mtn (while in the FP+ line an announcement came over the loudspeakers that there was a "weather event in the area" which was being monitored that might cause the ride to shut down but they would continue to monitor it, blah blah blah. Heading next across the circle in front of the castle for a relaxing PeopleMover and Carousel of Progress ride, I checked the weather and saw the radar. We headed immediately for an indoor, large, comfortable location with food - Cosmic Ray's. We had ponchos but didn't feel like being out in some of those brief, windy cells. So it worked out well.

We had a fabulous dinner at BoG and DD was very happy. She got her picture taken with the Beast and had The Gray Stuff for dessert so I think that all made her day. We caught the fireworks show in front of the castle.

DD had wanted us to stay till midnight but we left at 11pm - just too darn tired. Wednesday morning we packed up and left nearly at 11am and wouldn't you know it was a BEAUTIFUL day. Of course it would be on the day we were leaving. Here we are all packed and ready to go.

Of course, I couldn't leave without one last sit on the porch and kick it on that beautiful morning. My flip flops aren't up high but down in the corner because I didn't want to spoil the wonderful view.

I have a reservation for next January 2017 when I will hopefully do the Full Marathon again but with all my kids out of the house in college or on their own, DW and I won't be tied to the school calendar going forward. So we are entering new phase of life. I might come in 2018 for the Bama-Louisville football game at the Citrus Bowl to start the season but who knows.

The next thing on the calendar is the Gulf State Park DIS meet in late May - early June of this year. We might get some nibbles on others coming so best to prepare in advance.

Thanks for following my portion of the trip. I met great folks who are fellow DIS'sers and it was definitely worth the effort.

Bama Ed

Just got back last Friday and I must say the Fort looks as good as it ever has. We stayed in site 1304 and it was a great spot! We were in a pop up and requested next to the comfort station and they put us 20 feet from it. Bama Ed stopped by to say hello and it was a pleasure to meet a diser in person! We have been to Disney every spring break for the last 4 years and have never had as much rain during that time of the year as we had this year. We will be back next year March 18th to the 25th. I would like to request the 100 loop for the location, but the space in the premium loops are hard to beat. We had a great time we just needed a few more days to enjoy the Fort. We had 5 park days and 1 Fort day. Its amazing how fast a week can go by when your in your happy place! Looking forward to looking at these boards for the next year planning our next visit home!! Bama Ed it was nice to meet you!

Just got back last Friday and I must say the Fort looks as good as it ever has. We stayed in site 1304 and it was a great spot! We were in a pop up and requested next to the comfort station and they put us 20 feet from it. Bama Ed stopped by to say hello and it was a pleasure to meet a diser in person! We have been to Disney every spring break for the last 4 years and have never had as much rain during that time of the year as we had this year. We will be back next year March 18th to the 25th. I would like to request the 100 loop for the location, but the space in the premium loops are hard to beat. We had a great time we just needed a few more days to enjoy the Fort. We had 5 park days and 1 Fort day. Its amazing how fast a week can go by when your in your happy place! Looking forward to looking at these boards for the next year planning our next visit home!! Bama Ed it was nice to meet you!

Was that you that honked at me in a golf cart down by 100/400 loop, 4ParkFamily? Either it was you or my calves looked pretty good on my bike to somebody. :rolleyes1

4ParksFamily, it was great to meet you and yours. We'd like to see you in early June as we discussed if it fits your schedule. I'll be down in January 2017 hopefully so I will leave you to fly the DIS flag in 100 loop next March/spring break.

Amen to all the rain we had while we were at the Fort. We worked around it but would have rather had a dry stay.

Hope to see you soon, man!

Bama Ed

Yes that was us that honked only because your legs were blinding me! Just kidding! When you have specific dates let us know we are only about 45 minutes from Gulf SP we can drive out one day and visit with yall. We are going to Buccaneer SP in Mississippi 2nd weekend of June so we will not be able to come out if it is that weekend. Look forward to hearing more trip reports!

When you have specific dates let us know we are only about 45 minutes from Gulf SP!
4aparkfamily,

Most of us, except Ed, are coming in Memorial Day weekend. Some on Thursday, Friday and me on Saturday. Most are staying until the following weekend.

You are more than welcome to join us. There is a topic here with all the details.

j

We left Saturday morning in the rain to head back to Illinois. I think everybody else did to. Traffic was thick all the way to Illinois. We hit several stretches where we moved along at 5 -10 mph for a 10 mile stretch. We just wanted to turn around and head south again. The initial trip with the new camper was a success. Now if it gets warm up here we can really take our time and outfit it right, including the 2nd air conditioner. I hope everybody had as good of trip. We can't wait to get back and do a more laid back time. Steamboat Mickey didn't survive Thursday on my dash at Typhoon Lagoon. I think this week he will get a double knee replacement so he can help guide me back to the land of sunshine safely again.

Nov 1975 FW 500 Loop 3 Nights.......Jun 1977 Off-Property 5 Nights.........Jul 1993 Off-Property 7 Nights
Jul 1995 Dixie Landings 7 Nights.......Jul 2003 FW 1400 Loop 7 Nights.......Jun 2006 DL Off-property 7 Nights
Jul 2006 FW 900 Loop 12 Nights.......Jul 2009 FW 1300 Loop 14 Nights......Mar 2010 DL Paradise Pier 8 Nights
Mar 2011 FW 1300 Loop 11 Nights....Mar 2013 FW 1300 Loop 10 Nights.....Mar 2014 FW 1300 Loop 12 Nights
Mar 2015 FW 1300 Loop 9 Nights

### 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel MegaCab (Black on Black with Black) / 2016 Keystone Cougar 326RDS ###

Bama Ed & all, So glad you made it home with no problems. Enjoyed all the pictures & info. Now waiting on the April trips.

Lots of activity around the Fort this afternoon.

Here's a nice picture of some canoes coming back in next to the pool (which was slammed full again today).

Nothing earth shattering here (these have been covered by other DIS posters) but I revisited parts of the Fort Wilderness RailRoad (FWRR). There is one area of the FWRR where the real rail still is in the ground and covered up by brush. It's pretty well trampled down near it meaning people are visiting it like I do but I try to include a picture of the rail each trip.

The old FWRR rail bed used to run right next to the Meadow TP on the 900 loop side (I mean right next to the building) and went down through what is now 600 before getting out next to the street (Fort Wilderness Trail) and then broke left running between 800 and 700 loop. There are still old wooden ties and gravel in that section and part of it is part of a dog walk area in the trees back there. Here is the view from the street.

I got off my bike and walked it back between 800 and 700 following the old rail bed.

There is a point along the rail bed where there is a Y (a fallen tree currently marks the spot). The right fork is the original track bed and it wrapped around to the stop that was at the entrance of what today is the 400 loop (the cars would block Fort Wilderness Trail during the stop).

The left fork in the picture is under all the ferns. It is currently blocked by thick underbrush but this was the fork installed when River Country opened so that people could be dropped off at a station BEFORE Fort Wilderness Trail (near the current Settlement Bus Depot) and have a shorter walk to RC. There is a walk around to the left side of the fern-covered left fork.

Anyway, the original/right fork is cleared all the way back out to civilization for easy walking and comes out at the old golf cart parking lot (now blocked off) between the Settlement Bus Depot and Fort Wilderness Trail. You can see the yellow traffic posts as you near the end of the woods view.

Here is my bike where it emerges out of the woods.

Standing right there, if I swing 90 degrees to my right, I see the Settlement Bus Depot (just to give you an idea of where this is).

Going back to the left fork, as I said there is a walk around through a slight open field and then there is an opening in the brush to get back up on the rail bed and follow it out.

This left/old-RC fork comes out right next to the Settlement Bus Depot.

Both forks are easily walkable and it's interesting to see some of the Fort's past.

Tonight I am hoping to make the campfire sing-along with Chip & Dale. The Rescuers is the movie tonight and I won't stay to watch it all but I may start it.

Bama Ed
Great pics. I try to a "rail crawl" whenever we visit the Fort. We were there March 19-26. We managed to catch Tangled at the Campfire Sing-a-long in between the evening ain outs.

Thanks to everyone for such great trip reports! Our trip is less than 2 weeks away and I hope I can do even half the good quality reports that you guy's did. Glad everyone is making it home safely and hope those going to be get together in May and June have a wonderful time and think about the rest of us that won't be there. Don't have an open time slot until later in the season. Happy camping and wagons ho!

Burny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter