Marathon Weekend 2022

Andrew’s Marginal Running Information

This is a collection of running tidbits that I’ve learned over a few decades of running.

You mileage may vary (literally).

If you were to look at me, your first thought would not be “runner”, but our genes are what they are. So these are not the comments of someone tall and thin.
  1. The line unintentionally left blank.
  2. I started out training for my first half-marathon by running a quarter mile and then having to take a walk break and built up distances from there.
  3. When I’ve had a long layoff without running, the first couple of weeks of training are miserable, and I have to push through it. After that, the endorphins start doing their thing and I’ll get to where I become antsy if I go more than a day or two without running.
  4. For my first half-marathon, I fretted about not being able to keep a pace and stay ahead of the sweepers.
    1. The sweeper clock doesn’t start until the last runner starts
    2. A brisk walking pace will keep you ahead of the sweepers
    3. A friend of mine would walk the marathons and had enviable times. He would stride it out and stopped for nothing and would finish a half in under 2.5 hours.
  5. I’m a proponent of the Galloway method, but modified for my own use. I have gotten to where I run for a mile or so and then walk for a short stretch.
  6. As it turns out, for most races, there are helpful people handing out water every mile or 1.5 miles, so my walk breaks are to walk through the water station. This also allows me to drink that water without spilling most of it.
  7. The whole key to the walking part is to only do 50 or 75 steps and resume running before your body starts to drop out of run mode.
  8. Based on #5, I have never carried water with me for a race. I let people hand it to me.
  9. I will carry some energy goo for a marathon, and even then I was pleasantly surprised that it was being handed out during the Disney marathon. I do like the energy beans and will carry some of them with me.
  10. To keep some moisture in my mouth, I prefer hard candy or Mentos. I just tuck the candy into a cheek and let it melt and typically get 2 miles from each piece. Or some gum.
  11. If you start getting shin splints, stop running and take a 2 week break. It’ll drive you nuts to not run that long, but it’ll be worth it in the long run. During your break, go buy new running shoes. When I had shin splints is when I bought my first pair of $100+ pair of running shoes. It turned out to be so totally worth it that I bought a second pair. My running shoes are just for running and I take them off as soon as I get back home and put on my everyday shoes.
  12. I also try to avoid running on concrete; I’ll even run on the grass next to a sidewalk if I won’t turn an ankle. My preference is a local greenway with long boardwalks. Even asphalt is better than concrete.
  13. For a 5K or 10K, I don’t bother with any tunes; besides the races being over quickly, there is usually enough music and celebration going on to provide entertainment.
  14. Due to issues with chafing on my thighs, I wear short running tights as a physical barrier. Some people use anti-chafe sticks, but a physical barrier is what works for me.
  15. Ditto for chafing in the show. What works for me is liberal use of moleskin between toes, plus wraps of surgical tape. I also use Injinji socks to help isolate my toes. There will still be chafing over the course of a marathon, but delaying the onset of chafing as long as possible is the key.
  16. For a marathon, take a couple of tylenol when the pain kicks in. Motrin is a blood thinner, so use tylenol.
  17. Make sure that you can un-knot your shorts before you get to a port-a-potty. Nothing worse than losing time over a stuck drawstring.
  18. Unless you want to set a personal record at Disney, take the time for some photos with the characters. When I ran the marathon, I saw Disney characters that I had never seen before in many visits to the parks. Just pick your opportunities and don’t get caught in a long line.
  19. My tendency was to stay on one side of the road or the other during a race. What I learned is that the course is measured apex to apex of the curves, so straighten out the curves and it will save yourself some steps over the course of the race.
  20. I was around mile 20 of the marathon when my left arm went numb. My immediate thought was that I was having a heart-attack, but it was actually just from keeping my fist clenched for so long. The lesson learned is to periodically shake out my arms and hands, and to touch my thumb to my fingers and not make fists while running.
  21. Take some $20 bills with you for massages after the race. For me, one massage of the legs after the half, and two massages, one for the legs and one for the shoulders after the marathon. After the marathon, my shoulders hurt and they told me it was due to holding up my shoulders and arms for so long. Get the massages; it is worth every penny.
  22. When I ran the Goofy, I went into the parks after the half-marathon. The key was to get only in short lines and not spend very long standing.
  23. The most amazing thing is the day after the marathon in the parks or even a resort and being applauded by Disney cast members.

Other tidbits:
  • Buy some cheap sweatshirts at Walmart for the beginning of the race when it’s cold. You’ll toss them aside after you warm up and they get collected for charity.
  • Moisture-wicking shirt cause some nasty chafing on men in half and full marathons. As cool as it will be at Disney, a thin cotton shirt will prevent chafing. The performance shirt can wick away the moisture from the cotton shirt.
  • There is nothing like the monorail whooshing by and a full moon overhead at the beginning of a race.
  • There can be a huge traffic jam leading to the staging area. Better to be dropped at the main road and use the short walk as your warmup.
  • You’ll do better than you think you will.
This was really interesting! Thanks for sharing.

It’s the end of the last holiday week. I imagine it’ll be pretty crowded through Saturday or Sunday until everyone leaves to get the kids back in school.
Marathon Weekend crowds are not particularly heavy in the grand scheme of WDW. Much more influential are Holiday crowds which, as others have mentioned, are likely to carry over into Marathon Weekend this year. Because of that there will almost certainly be lighter crowds the week following Marathon Weekend.

I just checked my daughter’s school calendar. Seminole County resumes classes on January 5th. Orange County goes back on the 4th, Osceola on the 3rd and Lake County on the 3rd. That’s all I looked at. So there could potentially be holiday crowd before MW, but with reduced capacity and park reservations I’m not sure how much of an impact it is going to have.

What advice do you have regarding park touring during marathon weekend? Should certain parks be avoided on certain days/times?
For me, our decision comes down alot to where we are staying. For example, our Sunday Marathon plans will differ if we are staying at Poly then at Boardwalk or Caribbean Beach.

For us (staying at Boardwalk), Thursday will be Universal (not running the 5k), Friday will be a non rope drop Magic Kingdom, Saturday and Sunday will be Hollywood Studios

16. For a marathon, take a couple of tylenol when the pain kicks in. Motrin is a blood thinner, so use tylenol.

Not just that, but NSAIDS like motrin can cause major kidney damage when taken if you are dehydrated and should not be used before or during a race. Only afterwards, with copious amounts of water, and make sure you have gone to bathroom once (that is your confirmation that you are hydrated enough and your kidneys are working). If you do take Tylenol, make sure you aren’t overdoing it. One right before or during a race should do the trick. Overdoing Tylenol can cause liver damage.
Man, I sound like the medication side effects in those commercials! :tongue:

FWIW RE crowds when live races were announced of Wine & Dine, Spring Surprise and this weekend this one has our cheapest rooms booked

anyone got a plan for a overweight guy who is struggling to run right now - I have run a 4hr marathon, but now I'm barely able to do 5.5 hours (if lucky). Last run I had for time was a 5 miler in 48minutes - and that used to be my PR for a 6.2 miler. Dang!
Similar response to most of the others:
1. Reduce the carbs and sweets (not said lightly, it isn't easy for me)
2. There is appx 24 weeks to the race. Pick one of the training schedules that comes close to fitting and get on the schedule and train.

I've added a food tracking app to my phone so that I can spot where I'm tripping up on caloric intake, plus really enjoying how my new Garmin watch logs my activity. It makes it easier to see if my caloric burn exceeds intake.

anyone got a plan for a overweight guy who is struggling to run right now - I have run a 4hr marathon, but now I'm barely able to do 5.5 hours (if lucky). Last run I had for time was a 5 miler in 48minutes - and that used to be my PR for a 6.2 miler. Dang!

Take it slow. There’s a free app called MyFitnessPal to track calories, carbs, protein & fat. Just don’t go overboard and set yourself to losing 2lbs a week. Carbs are not the enemy and never have been. I get all my carbs from sweet potatoes, quinoa, beans and other veggies and my nightly ritual of popcorn. I like seeing how what I eat affects my runs the following days. I’m also on meds until October that can seriously put 5-7 pounds on me overnight with bloating and water retention. Seriously, a pair of shorts that fit fine the previous day I can barely get over my hips. It’s good to be able to see what I ate that was the cause. There’s another site I am looking at called Macrostaxx. It’s not free, but they always have discount codes. It’s tedious at first to learn the ins and outs of tracking everything, but after a couple weeks it gets easier and faster.

Yes, thank you! And people often forget that most fruits and vegetables are carbohydrates.

Agreed. When I say carbs, I'm talking about the not-so-good carbs like potato chips, chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, waffles, etc. All the yummy stuff that I like but don't need to eating so much of.

It's hard to overload on fruits and veggies.

My Fitness Pal is the app I have. A pocket notepad works just as well for monitoring what you are eating. If you are honest with yourself, you'll jot down snacks and see if you're munching on empty calories. (Being honest with self can also be difficult. Don't ask me how I know this)

Yes, thank you! And people often forget that most fruits and vegetables are carbohydrates.

Natural carbs are perfectly fine. The problem is all the processed food we eat with carbs in non-natural states.

That being said most people are likely not eating enough healthy fats while eating enough protein so the balance is off.

I aim for about 50% of my calories from good fat and I can tell you I feel way more energy, mental clarity, and generally more healthy eating more fats and less processed carbs. YMMV of course.

As of 10:04pm PDT, Goofy is sold out. Only the Marathon by itself and Dopey remain.

I had planned to try for the virtual Dopey tomorrow. But after really thinking about this the past two days and evaluating the toll the past year and a half have taken on my mental state, I decided to give myself something to work towards for me. A worthwhile pursuit independent of the other responsibilities I have in my life right now.

So, sign me up for Return of the Goof Troop Road Paving Party, whatever slower paving group I wind up in.

Natural carbs are perfectly fine. The problem is all the processed food we eat with carbs in non-natural states.

you are spot on. If it comes in a box you probably won't find it in my home. I have two teens so obviously I’ll have goldfish or another cracker, frozen waffles or box of stale cereal. I have always made most of our meals and snacks from scratch, but I was a stay at home mom for a very, very long time. It’s become a lot harder as a new small business owner, but I’ve gotten better over the last year and a half at balancing things out. I use Sunday as my church/laundry/nap/meal prep day. I try to make recipes that are 30 minutes or less during the week and make extra to eat for lunch the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter