• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

‘Raising the minimum number of nights could be a double-edged sword. Yes, it might bring in more money, but it also runs the risk of driving off runners they’re trying to attract and losing them entirely. I’m sure a sizable number of single-race runners could easily decide “I don’t need or want the extra nights, I’ll take my chances at general registration”.

Sure. But if they know the bibs are so limited they will all sell out in seconds during general registration (like last year before they canceled), maybe they're ok with running off some runners in return for the higher package values.

Just spitballing here. I don't want them to raise it, but part of me could see them doing it.

Sure. But if they know the bibs are so limited they will all sell out in seconds (like last year before they canceled), maybe they're ok with running off some runners.

Just spitballing here. I don't want them to raise it, but part of me could see them doing it.

That’s the thing. They’re not worried about whether the bibs will sell out. They will. What they’re worried about is how many of those bibs land in resort rooms and not off-site hotels or drive-ins. They know challenge runners will need more nights, so they’re not going to be worried about them meeting a minimum night stay. They have to find a balance to attract single-race runners to the resort packages. They risk making it less attractive a proposition for those single-race runners if they raise the minimum stay. I don’t see a reason for them to raise the minimum, but I see reasons for them not to. I could be wrong, of course.

It's the 50th anniversary of WDW, so I'm expecting the medals to be amazing. Why run the risk of only doing one race, when some other race could have an amazing medal, and you'd miss out!?!? Therefore, the only prudent choice for the rational Disney runner is to do Dopey and get ALL the medals. No FOMO, no problem!

Why you gotta whip out logic like that????? Just stop! 😂😂😂

Good morning, runDisney all-starts!

I see everyone talking about saving, budgeting and planning - is anyone running? For this week's Sundays are for Disney, it's a training check-in!

MW hasn't made an official return yet, but are you training for anything else? Just running to maintain? Are things going super well and you want to brag? Are you struggling and need a pick-me-up? Here's the place to lay it all out there.

I'm in a maintain mode right now and my goal is to average 20+ miles/week so I can get back to 1,000 miles for the year. With a lot of stuff finally settled in my personal life, it's been easier to get back into a somewhat normal running routine, which is awesome. I'm running Chicago in October, but I'm not going to start training on that for a little while yet. For now, it's 4-6 miles most days and I try to get 8-10+ every once in a while.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

I'm exactly 2 weeks out from my first ever in-person race. I'm running the half "with" my SIL (she's quite a bit faster than I am, so I fully expect her to finish at least 30min ahead of me) and DH is doing the 10k with his brother (and DH has basically not trained at all for, so he'll have a horrible time.)

I'm wrapping up week 10 of my training plan and how it feels has been all over the place. Coaching middle school baseball (and getting DS1 to/from JV practice and DS3 to his summer-league stuff) eats up a lot of time. I can honestly say that people with kids AND full time jobs get major props from me because I'm the stay-at-home parent and struggle to fit in the runs that are more than 90min lately. One of my weekly short runs has been getting consistently skipped for about a month now (basically when baseball started) and I recently found out my treadmill will shut off just past the 6 mile mark (it starts right back up, but I have to "reset" the clock/distance to keep running.

We are all going to the park today and I'll be doing my 11 mile run (longest run ever for me!)

SAFD:

I'm training for a virtual HM end of May, en route to my first every marathon on October 3rd which will hopefully be in-person! No way can I handle crewing myself for 42.2 km

My HM goal is 2:16, but I'm underconfident and don't think I'll achieve it, even if I've been following my training plan consistently. It's all about the journey and not the destination tho, isn't it?

I see everyone talking about saving, budgeting and planning - is anyone running? For this week's Sundays are for Disney, it's a training check-in!

MW hasn't made an official return yet, but are you training for anything else? Just running to maintain? Are things going super well and you want to brag? Are you struggling and need a pick-me-up? Here's the place to lay it all out there.

I'm in a maintain mode right now and my goal is to average 20+ miles/week so I can get back to 1,000 miles for the year. With a lot of stuff finally settled in my personal life, it's been easier to get back into a somewhat normal running routine, which is awesome. I'm running Chicago in October, but I'm not going to start training on that for a little while yet. For now, it's 4-6 miles most days and I try to get 8-10+ every once in a while.

Right now training for the 3 races on my board that I know are going to happen.

July 4- Peachtree Road Race
Oct - Atlatta 10 Miles
Nov - Thanksgiving day half marathon.

Summer is a maintain season and I tend to work more on strength training. I run to keep my base so I’m not starting from scratch each time. When I do take time off from running, the first one back is always craptastic.

That’s one thing I love about Marathon Weekend, it has conditioned me to continue training through the ice, cold and snow of the winter months.

I stay ready so I don’t have to get ready.

SAFD: As 90% of weight loss is dietary, I've been on Keto and have been losing weight. I didn't want to do that while exercising for fear that I'd have to maintain the exercise to maintain the weight loss... So... I decided I would start running again when I will have lost about 10 more lbs. I still have to log my virtual 2021 races which is to say I have to run them... I got one done a few months back. I still owe the 10k, 1/2, and full. It'll be slightly easier carrying less weight. I already have the special socks so I'm good to go. ;)

That’s one thing I love about Marathon Weekend, it has conditioned me to continue training through the ice, cold and snow of the winter months.

I stay ready so I don’t have to get ready.
I’ve joined virtual challenges the past couple summers to give me something to work towards. That does help without the pressure of having to get certain miles done each weekend.

SAFD:
Well in February I launched into my training plan for my first 100 miler. Four weeks in I got COVID. I was very lucky, no hospitalization and I recovered within two weeks. I then rested for a few weeks and when I began running again it was clear that I have to drop the goal of the 100 Miler in September. I found running challenging, even short distances. So for the last month I have had to abandon the training plan and simply rebuild my base with shorter runs, more walking and really watching my pace.

I think I will try to build up for an ultra in the fall. Likely same race just only do the 50 Miler. I also have a virtual I missed while sick I need to make up this summer.

Fingers and toes crossed that MW happens. I am planning to run Dopey. It will be my 5th and I agree with what @BikeFan shared, I bet this years medals will be really cool!

I‘m a creature of habit and momentum, so I find it critical that I just keep training, just keep training... When COVID started, I shifted my focus from maintaining a 25-30 mpw base to a 35-40 mpw base and it has really paid dividends now that live races are starting to return.

I ran my first 100k down the outer banks of NC 7 weeks ago. Yesterday I scored a shiny new proof of time for whenever RunDisney returns with my first sub-4:00 marathon (race report in the Running thread). I’ll take a couple of weeks of light running now before starting training for a Labor Day 50k. After that, we’ll see...

At this point, though, all I want is an announcement that Marathon Weekend 2022 will be a go.

SAFD - if I am not injured, I am running. Right now I am at 35 miles/week. I have been focused on the 10k distance all spring, ran a half marathon 2 weeks ago, and switch to marathon training in 8 days (Boston Virtual).

I doubt that I will run in the 2022 rD marathon at this point, even if it is announced. I need more time to plan trips like that, so looking at later in 2022 for a return to WDW and rD races for me.

SAFD: training is currently going really well... which is odd to say since I am not really training for anything. I am going on my third straight month of >200 running miles, and I have averaged over 53 running miles per week for the past 12 weeks.

I started on our DISboard CRAW (virtual race around the world) team last September to keep myself motivated to get miles in while in-person races didn't exist, but when I started, I was training similar to how I would train leading up to a race (five days a week with one workout each day and a mix of easy, speed, tempo, and long runs). However, since the goal of CRAW is to just get as many miles in as possible, I switched up my plan.

I started by not caring about pacing at all (no scheduled speed or tempo runs) and just focus on how to best get miles in without overdoing it. Therefore, I started running almost everyday and, in fact, twice a day on most days. I found that it's much easier and sustainable to run 5 miles x 2 times per day versus one 10-mile run each day. I basically just run whenever I have space in the day to fit in a run. And since I am always looking to get out for a run, I found a side benefit is that I run a lot more with my wife and daughter as well whenever they want to get out there.

Now that I have a great base and am feeling good about my running, I am starting to get excited about finding in-person races again to see what I can accomplish. Although I still don't have any formal plans, I might give MW a try if it is announced. I have only participated in Star Wars weekend (twice), but I have always wanted to run during MW. I'm not sure I would go for the full marathon, but I would love to participate in the 5k, 10k, and half (my favorite distance).

SAFD: I've got two marathons in the fall, so I'll be preparing for them sometime soon. London in Oct. may or may not just be a training run (need to decide on that soon), but Richmond in Nov. will likely be a PR/BQ effort. After that, I'll just be recovering and maintaining fitness until (hopefully) Marathon Weekend in January! In the meantime, I'm just running almost entirely easy miles, but at a higher volume level of ~50 mpw. I much prefer running more slow miles vs. less fast miles, so that's pretty much my schedule until I decide to start chasing fast times again.

It’s 4 months + out but just signed up for the inaugural Steel Rail Marathon October 3, can’t go wrong with a medal and pint of beer at the finish! And the following weekend will be my virtual Boston. I do run all year at least 3 days a week so hopefully I can get ready and PR the day.

I was training well averaging about 45 mile weeks (for almost a year) and finally in April I ended up injured with a Soleus strain. I have had a few weeks off. Last week was a whole 13 mile week on the treadmill but pain free. My first outdoor run in a month will be tomorrow. Going to cut the mileage back and hopefully get 17 miles this week, I will ease into Peachtree road race on July 3, then hopefully be back to base mileage. Also been hiking and that helps.

@Krandor I am running PTRR on July 3 but plan to spectate for July 4. keep me posted will try and cheer for you. Am sure I will see @disneyatheart

SAFD: This week is the peak week of my current training plan that was supposed to bring me to a June 5th Half Marathon which is now canceled. I am completing all the runs as per plan so far. I will run a HM time trial, I don’t know how seriously I will be able to push it.

My next plan will focus on my 2021 A goal of a Marathon on October 3rd and will be built based on my HM results.

I have never run as much as I do now and it is going well. The Spring is gorgeous and I try to focus on that rather then the fact that there is no in-person race. So I am thankful for what I got. That also includes my two running buddies: DH and DD.

On another note, did anyone else got an email from a TA saying that they were anticipating a runDisney announcement soon? I first classified that as wishful thinking but I know nothing either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter