• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: my DW helped with some of these as I’m an auditor and so I’m limited in complimentary adjectives haha. And these are based on PRE-COVID experiences as that’s the bar, plus we haven’t been down since W&D 2019.

Memorable (every trip is unique)
Scrumptious - we’ve all expressed so many food favorites
Timeless
Clean
- with the foot traffic everywhere, I’m so impressed with all the cast members who work to keep it so pristine
Inspiring- as Walt said - it’s kind of fun to do the impossible. With doing the W&D challenges and hoping to do my first Dopey, only Disney can bring that out of me.

Well, I decided to go ahead and reserve a hotel for MW in the hopes it happens. We stay typically at Shades of Green and I found that two of the days at the beginning of our trip weren't available. I know Shades is still doing reduced capacity, so that may change before January and we can pick up those days as well. Either way, I booked the days I could and figure we'll book something else for the first two days if something doesn't open up. I can no longer run, but my husband wants to go and another couple friend of ours (the husband is a runner) have wanted to go to Disney for their first time with us. They know I'm a big Disney fan and figure going with us will ensure they have a good trip (no pressure! :) ) and my DH will still have a running buddy.

Anyway, so very hopeful that the race happens in person and that I will have a great time spectating instead of running. So fingers and toes crossed that we get some good news about the weekend soon!

Well, I decided to go ahead and reserve a hotel for MW in the hopes it happens. We stay typically at Shades of Green and I found that two of the days at the beginning of our trip weren't available. I know Shades is still doing reduced capacity, so that may change before January and we can pick up those days as well. Either way, I booked the days I could and figure we'll book something else for the first two days if something doesn't open up. I can no longer run, but my husband wants to go and another couple friend of ours (the husband is a runner) have wanted to go to Disney for their first time with us. They know I'm a big Disney fan and figure going with us will ensure they have a good trip (no pressure! :) ) and my DH will still have a running buddy.

Anyway, so very hopeful that the race happens in person and that I will have a great time spectating instead of running. So fingers and toes crossed that we get some good news about the weekend soon!
Thinking of doing this as well, what is the consensus of what the presumed weekend for MW would be?
Thanks!:flower1:

Thinking of doing this as well, what is the consensus of what the presumed weekend for MW would be?
Thanks!:flower1:

Marathon Weekend is traditionally the weekend prior to the MLK holiday weekend. Next year would be January 6-9th if that holds true.

That was the registration date, not the announcement date. The race weekend was announced long in advance of that date. Registration was opened atypically late for that race weekend because of RunDisney transitioning to a new registration platform that took longer to develop than they expected. They’ve certainly shown that they can register that late, though.
ah, my misunderstanding, I'll edit it. thank you

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this weeks Sundays are for Disney, what are your favorite race medals? These can be Disney or non-Disney.

7DEC1568-E00E-49A9-ABD4-AF964EC08945.jpeg

5K 2019. I don’t know why, I just love the look of this medal. Plus, it kicked off my first Dopey and was a memorable race.

B112C9E4-5497-4A06-8C62-AABFE6D53659.jpeg

Marathon 2017. My first marathon and my first RunDisney event. I thought I’d be one and done with both, but we all know how that goes.

F381E937-B713-4206-BE91-DD442456E52D.jpeg

(We can put rovers on Mars, but the disboards can’t fix this photo error)

Marathon 2019. Another one I just really love the look of, especially the color scheme. Added significance for capping off Dopey for me.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

SAFD: my favorite medals are my medals from Comrades. They’re by far the smallest ones I’ve seen handed out at a race, about the size of a quarter, which makes them even more special. I also have a soft spot in my heart for my medals from Marine Corps because of its history, Richmond because that was my first full, and the mini Saturn V rocket from Rocketman.

FF6FA63A-39CD-4DD3-BB6C-774EF2E1CE4E.jpeg

I have four favorites:

First and last half marathons. Princess 2012 was my first and always knew I wanted my first half at Disney. Last one in 2014 with ITBS so bad I had to walk the whole way. I use this medal to show how stubborn I can be.

Tinkerbell 10k 2016. Off the IR after three rounds of PT, and this was also my only race at Disneyland. I love the 10K course.

Las Vegas RnR 10K in 2017. My first race where my ITBS didn't bother me, and my only night race.

My favorites are all relative to achievement (as it appears to be for most).

I have two medals that are hanging on their own:
3315159F-E0E5-4588-99EE-938258201A47.jpeg
DF2BA575-3FE2-4879-B107-F64BF7ACE0D4.jpeg

These are my first race, the 2012 WDW Marathon Weekend Half, and first Marathon, the 2013 WDW Marathon Weekend Marathon. When both of these happened there were huge questions in my mind over whether I could accomplish them. The fact I did will always be incredibly meaningful to me. I have to say it’s serendipitous that they both coincided with race anniversaries. The 20th anniversary Marathon Medal is still in a class of its own, IMO, for a combination of quality of design and implementation for rD medals.

CCA315C7-F88C-44F1-9319-0675F9D668CC.jpeg

This is the inaugural Dopey Challenge medal. I remember being incredibly disappointed when this medal was leaked months in advance of the event. I thought rD would go all out for their hyped new event. Alas, it’s still pretty underwhelming. That weekend was one of the best times I’ve ever had running though. I felt in full control of every race and had a blast running all of them. The medal is an awesome reminder of all the reasons I love WDW, rD, and running.

SAFD:
I picked three medals.

The first was a virtual half I did with my daughter this past fall. There was Forest Gump theme. We did a trail run, beautiful afternoon. To this day I will still drop what ever I am doing to watch the running sequence in that movie!52E9BDC5-41FD-4078-9505-EFC5F6CDBF35.jpeg

The second is from Run Woodstock and was my first 50 miler; I even finished top 5 for my age group and got an award. If helps bring an old guy!
C2F0C181-6369-48F1-B2C4-73B2F69FC8C4.jpeg

My last one is from the 2016 Dopey, my first Dopey. Wonderful memory!
26A14DDF-9546-451F-8B2B-CA114CC82AD1.jpeg

Two came out sideways? I am sure operator error!

I need to do some research when the marathon is in January because I plan on being there the first week of January

I need to do some research when the marathon is in January because I plan on being there the first week of January

RunDisney currently has no live events officially announced for the rest of 2021 and beyond. Assuming things return to normal, which is a somewhat big assumption right now, Marathon Weekend would be Jan. 6-9 in 2022 if rD sticks to their normal scheduling (with the Marathon itself on the 9th). I tend to think of it as the 1st Thursday in January assuming it’s the 4th or later; I’ve also seen it described as the weekend before MLK holiday weekend.

We all somewhat expect rD to begin operating similarly to before the pandemic whenever Disney gives them the green light to start hosting live events again. It’s also possible that a lot of things are on the table right now. If they were ever going to make changes, whether to scheduling, size/scope of events, or even shutting down live events altogether, this would be the time for it.

RunDisney currently has no live events officially announced for the rest of 2021 and beyond. Assuming things return to normal, which is a somewhat big assumption right now, Marathon Weekend would be Jan. 6-9 in 2022 if rD sticks to their normal scheduling (with the Marathon itself on the 9th). I tend to think of it as the 1st Thursday in January assuming it’s the 4th or later; I’ve also seen it described as the weekend before MLK holiday weekend.

We all somewhat expect rD to begin operating similarly to before the pandemic whenever Disney gives them the green light to start hosting live events again. It’s also possible that a lot of things are on the table right now. If they were ever going to make changes, whether to scheduling, size/scope of events, or even shutting down live events altogether, this would be the time for it.
Thank you for that information. Things can change so quickly but I imagine they probably won't change this close to the date

Hi everyone! Joining in for this week’s SAFD:

(None of the photos below are mine, they’re all from the Disney Parks Blog.)

I have 3 favorite medals. Two inspired me, and one was earned...

I ran my first runDisney races in 2018 - the Princess 5K and 10K. My original plan was to run the 10K, but it sold out on early AP registration day so I decided to do the 5K so I could do something! I ended up trying again for the 10K on regular registration day and got in!

The energy and excitement of that race weekend, and the reveal of the 2018 Princess Half Marathon medal inspired me to attempt the half marathon the following year. I had such an incredible time that weekend, and I knew it would be even better to add the half - the most talked about race of the weekend! So while I don’t actually own this medal, it’s the medal that encouraged me to run my first half!

My favorite medal is the 2019 Fairy Tale Challenge medal. This was my first half marathon, and I was so incredibly proud of myself for completing it. I ran all three races that weekend and made wonderful memories.

The 2018 Dopey Challenge medal was a beautiful medal, and it inspired me to push for more as well. Now that I’ve completed my half marathon goal, my next goals are to run my first marathon in Disney, and then my first Dopey Challenge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter