• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2022

I have not been much of an active participant in the thread this year but what is the majority feeling on expectations for on-course characters this year for the 10k?

With G+ and ILL needing attn at 7 am and this being my daughter's first 10K, we want to take our time and enjoy it and I am trying tog get an idea how long it is going to take us.
I have to book my LL during my run now?? Yayy more magic on the miles.....

I have not been much of an active participant in the thread this year but what is the majority feeling on expectations for on-course characters this year for the 10k?

With G+ and ILL needing attn at 7 am and this being my daughter's first 10K, we want to take our time and enjoy it and I am trying tog get an idea how long it is going to take us.
I think they should be able to have normal photo ops, but not sure that they will. Curious about what they do for Wine and Dine.

Working out our plan for ADRs (those are coming up in 2 weeks!) and DH wants a sit-down meal on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I've got everything except Friday planned and the fact that it's the day before I start my races makes me think it should be a breakfast or a lunch. Am I over-thinking this? Arrive Wednesday evening, MK (with a midday break for the toddler and stopping at the expo) on Thursday, a low-key Friday, half Saturday followed by brunch at Chef Art's, full on Sunday.

Right now I'm assuming that characters will likely be in the distance or selfie only type of thing. They just started back some meet and greets in the parks but they are socially distanced I believe. I doubt they'd do them for the runs when they aren't doing them in the parks. So, I'd say watch for changes to M&G in the park for a clue if they will have them during the race in the way we've had them in the past. Of course, we'll get some clue of how MW will handle it by watching W&D reports.

Right now I'm assuming that characters will likely be in the distance or selfie only type of thing. They just started back some meet and greets in the parks but they are socially distanced I believe. I doubt they'd do them for the runs when they aren't doing them in the parks. So, I'd say watch for changes to M&G in the park for a clue if they will have them during the race in the way we've had them in the past. Of course, we'll get some clue of how MW will handle it by watching W&D reports.
right now the character meets that are officially returning sometime next month are sadly still selfie only.... I'd imagine any on course entertainment would either be wait in line to snap a selfie or the characters roped off at an even further distance just to cheer you on with a wave.....

I know in the W&D guide there was a photopass code listed so fingers crossed they will at least have some form of photo ops otherwise why bother going through all the trouble of making costumes

Taking our own selfie would work just fine with us...the distanced thing wouldnt be worth it
I just wish it was a meet in the middle situation -- stand in front of a rope but still a photogropher because unless I'm propping the camera up and setting a 10 second timer selfies are so unflattering when I take them and it always looks like I have a double or sometimes triple chin

They have photopass photographers in the park now, so I can't see why they won't be on the course again for both generic running shots along with whatever form of character stops they come up with. As I recall from the past (and admit my memory isn't what it once was), not all character stops had photographers previously.

I might be the only one but I foresee only using Genie for ADR and mobile order. It’s not the price of Genie+ or ILL that has turned me off; it’s the virtually inescapable tethering to my phone that will accompany it and the stress of always needing to plan the next thing, the next thing, the next thing. If I can’t have a good day or don’t feel I’m getting value for my money without it then I’ll stop going to the parks altogether.

Ive been incredibly discouraged reading the initial thoughts and descriptions after this system went live this week. It appears to be everything I feared it would be and makes me question whether I want to go to the parks at all right now.

Oh well, I’m just going to focus on training and having as much fun during my runs as possible.

You're definitely not the only one. I'm a local AP on a budget: no way am I paying extra for G+ or LL. Maaaaybe once a year for Rise.

But I've been out of the loop lately: do I have to get Genie to mobile order, or can that still be done through MDE?

The way I understand it the free portions of Genie are basically an updated MDE. So there isn’t MDE anymore, it’s just been converted to Genie.

About photos: I don't see any way characters are as they once were - I assume socially distanced. But I don't see why there wouldn't be PhotoPass photogs - they're in the parks, so no reason they can't also be at races. I could also see more photo stops with props instead of characters.

Was thinking the same thing... Has rD explicitely said there would be no PhotoPass photographers on the course?

I really just want the race photos, I don't stop for characters.

We will likely do Genie + but I'm not sure yet about the individual ride purchases. I guess I should start checking what those rides are and decide but I suspect it would just me doing them solo.

Oh I'm SURE they will have photographers. That's easy money for Disney to sell those photos.

Absolutely agree. They'll have them out for the candid running shots (which by the way are usually my favorite pictures - more than the character shots). The only question really is how the character spots will be set up and if they will have photographers there. Seems like they could do set ups where you stand in front of a rope or something with the character behind you. Gets you nearly the same experience as going right up to them while keeping their exposure limited. At least that's what I'm hoping they plan to do.

The event guide for Wine & Dine explicitly mentions that there will be photographers, so I would expect them for Marathon and Princess as well:

• Disney PhotoPass® Photographers will be on course and at the finish line taking your photos during your race. Smile and make sure your race bib is in view on the front of your shirt! Race photos will be available to view at MyDisneyPhotoPass.com and in the My Disney Experience app within 48 hours of the event.
  • To link your race photos to your Disney account, log in at MyDisneyPhotoPass.com, select “Link Photos,” and enter your 16-digit code, which is the 11-digit RaceID, plus your five-digit bib number. If your bib number is less than five digits, add zeros before your bib number to fill in the remaining numbers. See below for race IDs and replace the X’s with your bib number to complete the code:
  • Half Marathon: 2021-WINE-HLFx-xxxx
    10K: 2021-WINE-10Kx-xxxx
    5K: 2021-WINE-D5Kx-xxxx

Was thinking the same thing... Has rD explicitely said there would be no PhotoPass photographers on the course?
Like a pp said there is a photopass code in one W&D guide so time will tell
I really just want the race photos, I don't stop for characters.

We will likely do Genie + but I'm not sure yet about the individual ride purchases. I guess I should start checking what those rides are and decide but I suspect it would just me doing them solo.

the IA$ rides are mine train, space mountain, ride of resistance (but you basically have to be on site to book at 7am), runaway railway, flight of passage, Everest (idk I’d something else will take its place when it’s down in January)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter