Marathon Weekend 2020

Honestly with the way the forecast is trending a questions occurred to me. At what point do they consider calling a race. More particularly at what point do they consider calling the full for everyone’s safety?
I'm curious to know this too, how warm is too warm?
I don't have details, and I know no inside info, but I can tell you conditions were MUCH worse for the 2012 TOT 10-Miler and it wasn't canceled. I really do not think WDW would call off a race for anything other than lightning, tornadoes, or a hurricane. Maybe if it was over 100*? But that's never happened.

ETA: Some info on flag warnings and heat calculations I found from RRCA. The colors at the bottom refer to flag warning colors...
The heat stress is calculated using a special scientific instrument, designed for that purpose. There are versions that can be permanently mounted in a fixed position, such as the side of building, and there are portable, handheld versions. The proper term for what is being measured is the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature Index, or WBGT Index. This index is expressed in either degrees of Celsius or degrees of Fahrenheit, depending on how you want your device to report. The WBGT Index is calculated using an accepted mathematical formula that takes into account the following variables:
  • Ambient temperature (the usual “weatherman forecast” temperature)
  • Relative humidity
  • Solar radiation (not the “glow in the dark” kind, but rather the “sunshine on a black car hood” kind)
  • The cooling effect of wind
The color codes correspond to specific parameters of the WBGT Index, with each color changing as the severity of the WBGT Index rises.
  • Green – low risk – a WBGT Index of less than or up to 84.9F (29.3C)
  • Yellow – moderate risk – a WBGT Index of between 85F to 87.9F (29.4C and 31C)
  • Red – high risk – a WBGT Index of between 88F to 89.9F (31.1C and 32.1C)
  • Black – extreme risk – a WBGT Index of more than 90F+ (32.2C)
https://www.rrca.org/resources/event-directors/guidelines-for-safe-events/eas

Last edited:
I don't have details, and I know no inside info, but I can tell you conditions were MUCH worse for the 2012 TOT 10-Miler and it wasn't canceled. I really do not think WDW would call off a race for anything other than lightning, tornadoes, or a hurricane. Maybe it was over 100*? But that's never happened.

Yeah but there are two big differences between ToT and this and thus where my concern is coming from: One is distance And thus time running in heat we’re talking about at least as twice as long at the very minimum. The other is being in the sun. ToT was a night time race. Not that it helped with the heat. The Marathon is not and once the sun comes up that might make enough of a difference.

I did the St George (UT) marathon in 2010. It was 94 degrees at the finish line and there is no shade on that course. They did not black flag that race. Different humidity and different race directors.

I'm curious to know this too, how warm is too warm? Looking at historical temps, this is on track to be similar to the 2013 Marathon. For those who ran that one, how was it?

https://www.findmymarathon.com/weather-detail.php?zname=Walt Disney World Marathon&year=

Regarding the 2013 races, I do not remember much unusual about it. I ran harder before the sun came up then slowed down and stayed hydrated. I think Goofy #2 (2007) was hotter (or I remember it as hotter anyway).

Honestly with the way the forecast is trending a questions occurred to me. At what point do they consider calling a race. More particularly at what point do they consider calling the full for everyone’s safety?

I think if it were heat related, it would have to be a lot hotter than this forecast for them to call it. They might have more advisories out reminding people to hydrate and they would probably be keeping a very close on eye on people, especially in the later miles after the sun comes up, but they wouldn't call the entire race. I remember being hot last year on Osceola Parkway towards WWoS, but not unbearably so.

The daily high in 2013 for the marathon was 81, humidity 94% - not canceled.
Multiple years with a high of 79 and high humidity - none canceled.

Walks over to running gear box and grabs cooling towel to bring. Hadn't thought of this, thanks for posting this!
I did the same last night. Do runDisney provides cooling towels at every race? In which case I would bring only one for the Half and use the new one for the Full...

Not sure if I'm posting this correctly! :oops:Please forgive and advise if not. Running my first half marathon (like 1st ever, not just WDW first). this is ALL new to me. I know I am in Corral G. I don't understand the timing thing with the balloon people. Are the runners in the last corrals at a disadvantage if they run slower and start later? Will I need to to catch up?Please help me to understand? Thanks!

During my first marathon attempt in 2015, I DNF due to a stress fracture in my hip. I ended up in the big medical tent at the finish and it was a mess due to all of the people with heat related issues. IIRC, the 5K was freezing with a gradual warming trend for the marathon. I was surprised by how many people started the race in cold weather clothing. I am used to running in hot and run all year but I have messed up hydration and electrolyte levels plenty of times. Hopefully things will stay under 70 and everyone will be OK.

Now running in < 30 completely baffles me and I end up too hot or cold every time :)

Not sure if I'm posting this correctly! :oops:Please forgive and advise if not. Running my first half marathon (like 1st ever, not just WDW first). this is ALL new to me. I know I am in Corral G. I don't understand the timing thing with the balloon people. Are the runners in the last corrals at a disadvantage if they run slower and start later? Will I need to to catch up?Please help me to understand? Thanks!

Yeah I was just questioning it since ya know the high is currently forecast to be higher then some of the other aforementioned dates?

I know its just speculation at this point and who knows maybe what Florida could decide to throw in at the last minute but its a thought thats been picking up steam recently it feels like.

Balloon ladies start as the very last runners and will maintain a 16 minute per mile pace. They are not the sweepers. They are a visual representation of the 16 minute per mile pace which starts when the last runners start. Being in G you will have a head start on the sweepers. Trust your training and keep your own pace at 16 minutes per mile or faster (including restrooms/photos/rides) and you will be fine. Good luck!

The Balloon Ladies are the very last people to start the race - they start at the very back of corral H - and are the visual "placeholder" of where the sweep point may be. They maintain a 16:00/mile pace the entire race. If you move at a pace faster than 16:00/mile, you'll never see them, as they'll remain well behind you. Should you fall behind them, you'll need to get back in front of them before the next sweep point or risk being pulled from the race.

Sort of? Its 16 min/mile from the last starter so as long as you adhere to the pace you'll be fine. But starting in G does give you less time to stop for characters because there's less of a gap between you and them. And how long you have between you and them depends on when you start and when you start. But no you won't be playing catch up. The bikes will let you know rather loudly if there coming.

The Balloon Ladies are the very last people to start the race - they start at the very back of corral H - and are the visual "placeholder" of where the sweep point may be. They maintain a 16:00/mile pace the entire race. If you move at a pace faster than 16:00/mile, you'll never see them, as they'll remain well behind you. Should you fall behind them, you'll need to get back in front of them before the next sweep point or risk being pulled from the race.
Thank you! :-) That makes sense. I think I should be ok then! Hoping for cool temps! Bikes?! They are on bikes?!

Thank you! :-) That makes sense. I think I should be ok then! Hoping for cool temps! Bikes?! They are on bikes?!

Whoops should have been clearer. As @PrincessV said the balloons themselves are not on bikes. But the team that makes up the actual sweepers (balloons indicate the pace but they don't make the call). There signified by people in bright yellow reflective vests who accompany the balloons. Usually there's a bunch in front of and behind them.

I ran harder before the sun came up then slowed down and stayed hydrated.

This is going to be my plan as well since I think it is pretty solid advice. If the hot forecasts hold, I think I'll run my normal @DopeyBadger plan long run pace (not M pace) for the first 17 miles until EE and Thirsty River, drinking extra water with my GU gels as appropriate.
The last 9+ miles I plan on taking it very easy and making sure my nutrition/hydration is where it needs to be. This will be my third M in the last 8 months so I have a pretty good idea of my abilities (or should I say my limitations).

I ran in 2013. It was hot. I had the flu. I puked on the plane on the way down on Thursday and barely ate anything the next two days.

I finished that race. I estimated that I probably drank 100 ounces of water during the race (had two 8-ounce bottles on my belt and had then refilled several times) and didn't pee until two hours after I finished. But that is a combo of dehydration from the illness and not entirely from the race.

Anyway, it was hot and miserable on the highway. And I was sick, but I finished in 6 hours and 42 minutes. Thank you, corral C, for giving me a buffer.

I highly doubt they would call it off for heat. It is January and the daily high won't occur until after the race is over.

I do remember that the chocolate they passed out in DHS was already half melted, haha. But I don't think I would have noticed the heat as much if I hadn't already been sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter