Managing queues with stroller as wheelchair with sensory sensitive child

Burgermom

Mouseketeer
Hello,
On our upcoming trip to Disney World I was thinking of requesting to use my D7's stroller as a wheelchair. She has autism and sensory issues and finds her stroller to be a safe and happy place to be. However, I think it might be easier overall for her to just walk some of the more complicated queues that would involve transferring to another wheelchair or something like that. The stroller itself is a regular sized stroller that is easy to maneuver but i worry more about having to do anything confusing like transfer to another wheelchair or go to a different boarding area that may confuse or upset her.
Can anyone give me any thoughts about which queues are easy to navigate with a stroller as wheelchair? How easy is it to use a stroller in queues? Anything I should consider? As a side note we also hope to use DAS if she ends up being eligible. Thought I would add that because I sasn't sure if the DAS pass changes which queues you use, etc.
TIA

I have never heard of someone in a regular size stroller having to transfer to a wheelchair. It is more people in ecv or electric devices needing to do so. Maybe pirates but I was able to use my walker in that line. I think on the off chance anyone asks her to transfer to a wheelchair that you should explain she needs to stay in the stroller and would not tolerate the switch and see what they say. Also you can’t take the stroller on rides like a wheelchair (I’m pretty sure). I am guessing you are planning on her riding in the regular ride seats.

Hi there! We have a similar situation, the only difference is that my son actually has some mobility issues and so we have a Convaid, which is a stroller/wheelchair hybrid. It actually is a wheelchair in the sense that it has transport tie downs and foot rests like a wc, but to the untrained eye it looks like a stroller. It is stroller sized. We usually get the stroller as wc tag to avoid confusion. We have never been asked to transfer to a wc, not even for pirates. BUT, that said, you will have to break from the lines at a certain point with the stroller on some lines. HM, PotC, Frozen PPF, and IaSW come to mind immediately. Also Frozen. You will not be able to do tea cups without taking her out of the stroller. That ride uses the exit as entrance for wc and stroller as wc. Same for the carousel.

Also using DAS pass means you enter through the LL/G+ entrance.

Thank you for clarifying. And yes I plan for her to ride in the regular ride seats. She does not have any mobility issues so getting in and out of the ride is ok and walking the queue from a physical standpoint is fine, she just generally is more calm in crowded situations when in her stroller. I'm just trying to strategize around when it might just be easier to have her walk the queue rather than stay in her stroller but it sounds like it will likely be easy enough for most rides? but maybe leave the stroller behind for rides like Tea Cups?

Thank you for clarifying. And yes I plan for her to ride in the regular ride seats. She does not have any mobility issues so getting in and out of the ride is ok and walking the queue from a physical standpoint is fine, she just generally is more calm in crowded situations when in her stroller. I'm just trying to strategize around when it might just be easier to have her walk the queue rather than stay in her stroller but it sounds like it will likely be easy enough for most rides? but maybe leave the stroller behind for rides like Tea Cups?
Fantasyland is where most of the rides that don't have accessible lines are. For the record, my son can use all the regular ride seats also. His legs can just give out on him unexpectedly. The original Fantasyland rides were built before ADA so they often don't have accessible lines. Tea Cups & Carousel in magic kingdom enter through the exit. Small World has a designated WC entrance. Spaceship Earth in Epcot is through the exit.

We have done this many times. You can take it right to the place where you transfer into the ride seats. It was great in most instances, it wasn't so great for the safari, as we had to go to another area for wheelchair access vehicles, even though he gets out of it for the ride. It also happened on Spaceship Earth (separate entrance), so we tried to go on both first thing in the mornings when we more or less walked on, and left the stroller outside.

When he was age 3-7 or 8 we used a blanket over the top as well, whilst he watched something on his ipod with headphones. He could block it all out for long periods, and we just told him when it was time to come out from under.

Rea cups you csn see all the line so your know if she can handle the line with out her stroller

I also have a 7yo dd with ASD and sensory issues, and she used a stroller-as-wheelchair as her safe place up until recently.

She also uses a DAS and I don't think your dd will have any trouble getting one. For my dd, basically we get the das return time and then we spend the wait either with her in a quiet spot in the stroller, or more recently picking up leaves off the ground LOL , until our return time. I never take the stroller in the line at that point. DD usually has her headphones on to go in line, after we park the stroller. You could bring the stroller in if you want, this is just how it works for my kiddo. She would defenitely not transfer to a wheelchair because it's not what she's used to.

She does best in outdoor lines where she can see everything. She actually refuses most rides and especially ones with indoor lines. OP you'll have to see what your DD is ok with, it's hard to know until you get there.

We have done both. In fact, we left our stroller as a wheelchair tag on the stroller long after we returned from WDW, because people understand that. I had many an argument with people as to why my son's Maclaren Special Needs stroller was infact a wheelchair for him.

Just a note, my DH used a wheelchair now scooter. On the new star wars ride, during about halfway thru the walking, CM asked if he would walk a bit. (I'm guessing where they ask , it's easier to move scooter), we said no. He rode until almost ride . After going through ride, no way could he have done that " bit " of walking.

Just noting this so you are aware you may be asked.

We have done both. In fact, we left our stroller as a wheelchair tag on the stroller long after we returned from WDW, because people understand that. I had many an argument with people as to why my son's Maclaren Special Needs stroller was infact a wheelchair for him.
I have had this argument and my son's Convaid LITERALLY has the tie-downs for transit and the wheelchair-style foot rests with straps. I've had it AT Disney even. People are just ignorant.

Just a note, my DH used a wheelchair now scooter. On the new star wars ride, during about halfway thru the walking, CM asked if he would walk a bit. (I'm guessing where they ask , it's easier to move scooter), we said no. He rode until almost ride . After going through ride, no way could he have done that " bit " of walking.

Yeah I totally forgot about this. The first time (back when it was really new) we said ok we'd take DS out, and then we ended up carrying him because the distance and time that required standing was way more than we thought. Thank goodness he is very small! Now we keep him in until the load cars. I'm guessing it takes away from the "rebel rescue experience" because it takes a lot longer to transfer but oh well.

I have had this argument and my son's Convaid LITERALLY has the tie-downs for transit and the wheelchair-style foot rests with straps. I've had it AT Disney even. People are just ignorant.
About 15 years ago, I was feeding my infant DGD at the baby center in Epcot. A couple walks in with their child in a chair/stroller. The child was about 12 and they wanted to use the restroom for the child. Before they got to the restroom, the CM told them no strollers allowed. They both tried to explain, CM wouldn't give in. The mother was in tears, the father then just grabbed the child and carried her the last 30 feet to the restroom. It was terrible to watch.

At the time, I didn't have a cell phone and was lacking in realizing that this is something to be reported. I hope the parents did.

At WDW the “stroller as wheelchair” tag technically only applies to attraction queues, and I think buildings like The Land at Epcot. Access to other indoor spaces is at the discretion of CMs.

At WDW the “stroller as wheelchair” tag technically only applies to attraction queues, and I think buildings like The Land at Epcot. Access to other indoor spaces is at the discretion of CMs.
yes it includes The Land building and the The Seas buildings

Just to be clear on my post. This was wheelchair, but looked sort of stroller like. Not just a tag.

We use a double stroller for our 5 year old with autism, she elopes and has some muscle weakness from her hypermobility, also the crowds can be pretty overwhelming so it was comforting for her. We never had an issue with queues, we mostly used DAS but also attempted standby when lines weren't ridiculously long. They usually would ask if she needed help transferring, which she does not, then would direct us to a place to park it and we'd board normally. We are taking another trip soon and I will be definitely getting the "stroller as wheelchair" sticker for this trip.

Just to be clear on my post. This was wheelchair, but looked sort of stroller like. Not just a tag.
Yes, this is what we have. Its legally a wheelchair that meets all standards for a wheelchair, and can be used in a vehicle with tie-downs. But as it is designed for a child that is usually too small or incapable of propelling themselves, is built like a stroller. It is QUITE expensive like a wheelchair also - ours was more than $5k, which mercifully was covered by insurance. This is what it looks like:
(First photo is actually my little one on Jungle Cruise.)

Attachments

• 179397686_112114431014290_3380963686879598917_n.jpg
    179397686_112114431014290_3380963686879598917_n.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 80696964_10221128285741880_238574485421162496_n.jpg
    80696964_10221128285741880_238574485421162496_n.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 15

Thanks that is helpful :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter