Man Found Dead In Truck In Airport Parking Lot After 8 Months

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
A man's body was recently discovered his his pickup truck at the Kansas City airport. He was reported missing in January and apparently committed suicide in his truck. Authorities believe his body and truck have been at the airport for eight months.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article173844011.html

Hmmmm, I thought almost all airports recorded the license plate numbers of vehicles entering overnight or long term parking lots and garages. Then, after a certain time, say 45 or 60 days, if the license plate isn't recorded as leaving, the vehicle is considered as abandoned. The vehicle is then located, towed, and impounded. I don't now if MCI airport follows this procedure.

The family is understandably upset. If they suspected he was at the airport, as suggested in the article, perhaps they should have personally searched the lots rather than rely on the parking management to do it.

Wow that is so sad.

Why wouldn't the PI they hired check the airport if that was a place he was suspected of being at some point when he was missing? Maybe I've watched too many PI TV shows but I would think he would do his own investigation of places the man may have been.

I bet, I would hate to be stuck with that parking bill

I'm wondering if the airport waived or forgave the parking charges under the circumstances. Even at lower long term rates, the bill must be about $2000.

I'm wondering if the airport waived or forgave the parking charges under the circumstances. Even at lower long term rates, the bill must be about $2000.
If I was his wife, I'd tell them to go bleep themselves about parking costs. They are the reason his body sat there for 8 months. They told the family airport security would take care of it and if he was there, they'd find him, so the family focused their efforts elsewhere.

We just parked long term at the airport for a trip and we did not have give anyone our license plate number. There was no one checking cars in...just the toll booth on the way out to pay.

MJ

It's so sad, and strange with things like this when someone is "hiding" in plain sight. The airport didn't cause his death so I'm not sure what the charges would be, if any. Seems unfathomable in this day and age his phone pings or location weren't tracked electronically

Old friend of mine actually knew this guy and took part in the search several times. They even asked about this lot on more than one occasion & were assured the lot had been checked.

There is a lot of conflicting information in the various articles on this incident.

One article states that the guy's wife herself searched the lot where the truck was eventually located and didn't find it. Others claim a relative asked the parking management to search.

I suppose it's possible that he didn't enter the lot and commit suicide until after the wife searched. But another article says the parking ticket was found on the dashboard of the truck dated the day he disappeared.

Some say it was Economy Lot B, located some distance from the terminals. Others say it was the hourly/short term lot/garage right in front of Terminal B.

Lots of unanswered questions. Did he have his T-Mobile phone with him? If so, it should have been possible to locate him. Did the work issued truck have some type of location tracking device?

It was stated that if his truck was on the premises, the police and/or parking management would find it. Well, it wasn't a lie. They DID find it, just not quickly enough for the family.

We just parked long term at the airport for a trip and we did not have give anyone our license plate number. There was no one checking cars in...just the toll booth on the way out to pay.

MJ

No, there are security cameras that record the license plates when entering and exiting the lots, along with the date and time. Then it's matched to the ticket received upon entering.

There is a lot of conflicting information in the various articles on this incident.

One article states that the guy's wife herself searched the lot where the truck was eventually located and didn't find it. Others claim a relative asked the parking management to search.

I suppose it's possible that he didn't enter the lot and commit suicide until after the wife searched. But another article says the parking ticket was found on the dashboard of the truck dated the day he disappeared.

Some say it was Economy Lot B, located some distance from the terminals. Others say it was the hourly/short term lot/garage right in front of Terminal B.

Lots of unanswered questions. Did he have his T-Mobile phone with him? If so, it should have been possible to locate him. Did the work issued truck have some type of location tracking device?

It was stated that if his truck was on the premises, the police and/or parking management would find it. Well, it wasn't a lie. They DID find it, just not quickly enough for the family.

No, there are security cameras that record the license plates when entering and exiting the lots, along with the date and time. Then it's matched to the ticket received upon entering.

I had no idea.....I just checked JFK and apparently they have been scanning plates for a decade!

MJ

I read the lot holds 25,000 cars. I would think one car in 25K would be easy to miss unless they are going around literally checking every single car. Does airport security have the manpower to do that?

It's kind of scary that with all those people parking nearby and especially with security patrols that it took that long. I mean, I would hope that security goes through the whole structure several times a shift. So security people passed by it several times a day for eight months and never noticed that that truck was always there!

I read the lot holds 25,000 cars. I would think one car in 25K would be easy to miss unless they are going around literally checking every single car. Does airport security have the manpower to do that?

I understand that, but I would think if you work there 5 days/week and you drive around the entire lot at least once per shift (probably more than once)...it would seem like the same car, parked the same way for 8 months might eventually make an impression. I guess not, though.

I understand that, but I would think if you work there 5 days/week and you drive around the entire lot at least once per shift (probably more than once)...it would seem like the same car, parked the same way for 8 months might eventually make an impression. I guess not, though.

I assume they were driving around but not really checking, like getting out of the car, walking down the aisle and checking every single car.
I don't know what kind of car it was, but if there was nothing special about it to make it stand out it would look just like every other car out there KWIM. I can't even find my own car after a week at long term parking.

It's really sad, but I know it were my family member missing, I would be at the parking lot walking around every car myself. I would not rely on people who I didn't know, and who really aren't going to care as much as me.

I assume they were driving around but not really checking, like getting out of the car, walking down the aisle and checking every single car.
I don't know what kind of car it was, but if there was nothing special about it to make it stand out it would look just like every other car out there KWIM. I can't even find my own car after a week at long term parking.

It's really sad, but I know it were my family member missing, I would be at the parking lot walking around every car myself. I would not rely on people who I didn't know, and who really aren't going to care as much as me.
It was his work truck, so I am assuming it was marked on the outside with company info, though I haven't seen a picture to verify.

It was his work truck, so I am assuming it was marked on the outside with company info, though I haven't seen a picture to verify.

Oh that makes it even more sad that it went unnoticed for so long. I would assume that would definitely stand out among all those cars.

And yet another family that is going to place blame where it doesn't belong so they can get some $$ out of this. "It's a total disregard for human life." Um no it isn't, he was not alive so how can thousands of people walking and driving by have a disregard for human life? It's not like he was dying and people ignored him. Then again this is the niece who also said that losing a loved one to suicide is 10 times harder. Really? So it's 10 times better to watch a loved one suffer and die from cancer? 10 times better to lose someone in an unexpected accident? 10 ties better to lose a child? Losing a loved one NO MATTER HOW is hard PERIOD. UGH @@ I know they're struggling but its hard to be nothing but sympathetic when a spokesperson makes statements like these and when a lawyer has been contacted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter