Man dies at PH in DTD, drowns in surrounding moat??

lucky_bunni

Live via Chromebook
I think it may have been around 1994-1995, when Planet Hollywood was pretty new at DTD, but I recall hearing about a man falling off the side deck of the structure and drowning. He may have been drunk?? I also think he was some sort of exec for Disney or PH, but unsure. I'm just asking because I've been trying to find information, or an old article on the incident on the internet. If anyone can confirm that I'm not crazy, this did happen, and provide and details or an article... that would be awesome.

Yow! Sorry, haven't heard about that one

An autopsy Saturday found that a Newsweek magazine executive drowned in a moat surrounding the Planet Hollywood restaurant and probably was not a victim of foul play, an Orange County sheriff's spokesman said

Abstract from Orlando Sentinal 11/12/95.

You have to pay if you want the full article.

Originally posted by lucky_bunni
have to pay you or the newspaper? j/k :)

If you're curious enough to buy the whole article (I cut and pasted the entire free abstract) I'd appreciate it if you'd forward me a copy. Sorry, it's not worth $2.95 to me to get the article.

You got a good memory.

wow i never even heard of that happening..funny how every time a prson in injured or killed at Disney, people feel the need to bring up every single time a person was hurt or killed? Its like they have to add fuell to an already growing fire by reinflaming peoples thoughts about the past. Leave it where it belongs, dead...it has already been discussed and debated focus on the future please. Lets not stay stuck in the past. Although i must admit this one was pretty dang interesting. :p

Sshh! Nobody tell the fine folks at Lexis-Nexis what I've done!

From the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, 11/11/95:

Authorities think a visitor whose body was pulled from a lagoon at Walt Disney World's Pleasure Island entertainment district probably slipped or jumped into the water.

But Tyrone Turner's sister says her brother never would have gone into the moat willingly and worries that he may have been the victim of foul play.

"It just doesn't make sense what they're saying," Valerie Turner said by telephone Friday from New York state.

"My brother would never go get in the water. I could stake everything on it," she said. "It just seems like there were some dangerous people involved here."

Tyrone Turner, 40, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was the editorial business manager for Newsweek magazine. His body was found Thursday in four feet of water under Planet Hollywood restaurant, which is over a lagoon.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said he was last seen about 2 a.m. Wednesday when he and some business associates were trying to c atch a cab to return to their hotel after a night of drinking. His associates thought he was going to catch another cab and meet them at the hotel, police said.

Turner probably drowned, though autopsy results won't be available until today, sheriff's deputy Carlos Espinosa said.

"Any signs of a struggle will be looked into," he said. "But it appears that he just drowned."

Planet Hollywood employees saw someone in the water about 2:15 a.m. and called Disney security, said sheriff's spokesman Steven Jones. He said security people saw a person go under the restaurant, but they left after an hourlong search, thinking the person had gotten out.

After a business associate reported Turner missing Wednesday evening, a sheriff's dive team searched the moat, finding the body about 11 a.m. Thursday. The water is up to five feet deep.

From the Orlando Sentinel 11/12/95:

An autopsy Saturday found that a Newsweek magazine executive drowned in a moat surrounding the Planet Hollywood restaurant and probably was not a victim of foul play, an Orange County sheriff's spokesman said.

Tyrone Turner, 40, who was visiting from Brooklyn, N.Y., disappeared about 2 a.m. Wednesday at Walt Disney World's Pleasure Island entertainment complex, where he had gone with friends.

He was found Thursday morning in 4 feet of water under the restaurant, which is next to Pleasure Island at Lake Buena Vista.

There were no signs of trauma to the body, said the spokesman.

Results of toxicology tests are expected in 10 days to two weeks.

It was unclear why Turner, Newsweek's editorial business manager, was in the water.

Last year (maybe it was 2 years ago) there was two deaths in two days at WDW, one was a cast member suicide from atop a balcony at the Contemporary Resort, another was a drowning at a nearby resort, in the lagoon no less.

I see you've gotten confirmation. I definetly remember this happening. I think the articles mention the circumstances, but as I recall it was a group down for a convention. The group lost track of this one inebriated fellow and he ended up drowning. Very sad but kind of a cautionary tale as well.

How about the couple (mother and son?) that drove their car into a flooded ditch by the side of the road near EPCOT back in the late 80's/early 90's and no one noticed until their bodies floated to the surface. Very sad.

This seems a bit morbid... Lucky_Bunni, do you have a reason for wanting to know about all this old history?

Sarangel

Originally posted by Sarangel
This seems a bit morbid... Lucky_Bunni, do you have a reason for wanting to know about all this old history?

Sarangel
I don't understand... morbid?? I was about 13 at the time this happened (in 1995). We visited WDW in August and I think this either happened slightly before or after our visit. PH had just opened, and was very popular at this time. I brought it up because I was unsure if this was something that had really happened, or just a rumor back then. I don't actually have any articles on the incident, so I thought after almost 10 years, am I crazy?? I wondered if anyone else remembered this, or had articles, which someone has kindly enough provided. Thank you all for your help.

Wow.. I was sure that this story had plenty of interest but I guess through all of these years, the true story would have been made public by now. There is plenty to tell but honestly nothing conclusive because there is way too much money and power involved. But there are mind blowing facts in regards to $$ being paid, people being relocated.... true crime cover up!!!

I'm sorry about your loss! That's tragic. Well more then a decade after asking the question the person has the answer for sure.

I am impressed. In only 18 replys, this thread has been snatched from the annals of obscurity three times!

Zombie thread indeed.

j

I was the one who saw Mr. Turner swimming in the moat and called it in. I am sorry for your loss.
I'm truly left speechless! Thanks... I see whatever I typed as far as informing you guys about things that really went on, they don't appear in the forum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter