Mama Melrose vs. Via Napoli

danceintherain

DIS Veteran
I realize that one is more pasta oriented and the other is more pizza oriented, but I only like to plan on one "italian" type meal per trip. However, these two are next on my list of places to try for their respective parks.

Via Napoli - We may end up spending only one evening (half day) in Epcot. Right now I have a fairly early dinner ADR (around 5pm). The only trouble is that DH ALWAYS has to get Fish & Chips when he goes to Epcot, so dinner might be too early if we don't get there until fairly late (we're planning on spending the morning at AK and then we always take a break). He could always just eat a minimal amount for dinner. I can't push it to later easily, because we're hoping to get DS back for a reasonable bedtime every night. Our main goal in going to Epcot is to see the Flower & Garden festival. We may attempt to do some of the rides, but the headliners aren't a priority, since we'll be traveling with a 2 1/2 year old.

Mama Melrose - It's the only restaurant we haven't eaten in at DHS. We can probably do either lunch or dinner. We won't do the F! Dinner Package, because I doubt we'll stay that late.

Which do you prefer? We probably won't do a different TS at either park, because we're trying to keep this trip fairly low cost. Also, my little sister is joining us and she's not an adventurous eater at all.
Thanks!

We've been to both multiple times and absolutely prefer Via. The atmosphere is very lively and we like the decor - hardwood floors, high ceilings. The service has always been very friendly and the food is great. We are a family of five with VERY different dining preferences - from very adventurous to quite picky. And everyone loves Via. I enjoy the eggplant parm and our pizza lovers think the pizza is very good. We're saving it for the last night of our trip later this month.

We like Mama Melrose, but it doesn't compare to Via. We've been to all the TS restaurants at DHS multiple times each and we chose Mama Melrose for our upcoming trip. We have lots of signature dinner ADRs, so we decided against Brown Derby. We've been to Sci Fi and 50's quite a few times lately. So we're returning to Mama Melrose because it's a good old standby. It's a cozy atmosphere and the food is OK. Again, doesn't compare to Via but a solid choice at DHS if you've already tried everything else. But if it means you'll have to sacrifice Via, then I'd say skip Mama Melrose.

Good luck with your decision!

We tried both last summer and while we liked MM, we LOVED VN and would rank it in our top 5 restaurants at WDW. It's a must-do from now on for us. We would return to MM, but not gonna rush back any time soon. My kids call MM "Italian Applebee's."

It depends on what type of Italian food you like. Via Napoli has (to my palate) a more authentic "Italy" taste (Mediterranean flavors, not as heavy), whereas Mama Melrose is more "Italian-American" like a lot of the family-owned places in the NY/NJ area (heavier sauces/cheese, less of the "crisp" flavors of VN).

That said, I like them both but you can't go into either expecting a similar experience.

As others have said, we've eaten at both and we do like both of them, but Via Napoli is definitely the better restaurant. It is delicious! We cannot wait to go back! But, we do also enjoy MM, even though it gets a lot of negative reviews.

We like both but VN is our fav! And if your husband isn't very hungry maybe he can split a pizza with one of you. Or just get dessert. I think VN is better for a picky eater too!

We have been to both.

It will be a long time before we go back to MM. We thought the food was terrible. Their red sauce was one spice away from canned tomatoes.

We LOVE Via Napoli - the salad, pasta (Linguini Frutti di Mare in particular) and the pizza were all fabulous! We have it booked for our last night meal.

:)

You have picked two of our favorites. The food is good at both. I took my parents recently to Via Napoli and they loved the food but commented that it was a noisy restaurant. I would take a look at the menus and choose the one that sounds the best for you. You wont go wrong either way.
If you go to Via Napoli save room for the Zeppoles.

I love V, mm was a terrible experience and I don't think I will go back. And V in my opinion is one of the best restaurant's in epcot.
:)

If you are asking about which restaurant is better, it's not even a close comparison. You'd be crazy to pick MM over VN based on food or atmosphere.

Only you can determine how it fits into your touring schedule.

Now, if MM had actually been built as the Rizzo themed Muppet restaurant it was supposed to be, that would be a different discussion.

We LOVE Mama Melrose - (chicken parm!) but are planning to try Via Napoli for the first time on Saturday. We don't have ADRs for Mamas this trip but we might try to squeeze in a quick lunch there but we'll see...

Pizza at Via better, pastas at MM better, you cant go wrong with either IMO

Thanks everyone!
I know this goes against the majority, but I cancelled Via and we're going with MM.
Even though I'm almost positive we'd prefer Via, we simply don't have any other options at DHS.

DH convinced me that we should do a TS at Epcot too, and he decided on Restaurant Marrakesh. My little sister probably won't like it, but it will be fun to try something different, and we can always get her something else before or after.

I'll just have to save Via Napoli for our next trip *sigh*

We prefer Mama Melrose. I don't know, our experience at Via just didn't live up to the hype. The pizza is not that great. The restaurant itself is beautiful. The Carne d'italia flatbread pizza at Mama Melrose's is fab!

We're going to give it another stab on our upcoming trip.

I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste. I think you'll enjoy either choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter