• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mama melrose or Chef de France

desl10

Mouseketeer
Going to Disney with my mom and grandma along with our 4 younge kids. At the request of my mom she is letting my hubby and I sneak away for a dinner and some time out during one night on our trip! (We normally never get date nights out bc we live away from family) Anyways, I have heard good things about Mama melrose and want to try it. (The steak, Mac and cheese, and the chicken Parm) yum!! But the other option is Chef de France. Epcot happens to be open till 11 that night so we could maybe get more bang bc we could do dinner and hang in Epcot! From a food stand point any options or past experiences at either? We have the DDP so we will be using a table credit.

Both places get a little bit of a bad rap. I can tell you that Mama Melroses is awesome...AND if you use your DDP and get the Fantasmic Pkg, you'll get a a great meal and a good seat at the show. It's not the best Italian food you'll ever have, but its pretty good. Apps are awesome....but not sure if they come with the FP anymore. Chef De France has a Prix Fixe menu that is pretty good as well....and with the park open late, you have the option to spend the evening around World Showcase. If you've never been to either, even though MM is a family fave of ours....I'd opt for Chef de France for the longer night out!!!! WINK WINK!!!! Enjoy!!!

Both places get a little bit of a bad rap. I can tell you that Mama Melroses is awesome...AND if you use your DDP and get the Fantasmic Pkg, you'll get a a great meal and a good seat at the show. It's not the best Italian food you'll ever have, but its pretty good. Apps are awesome....but not sure if they come with the FP anymore. Chef De France has a Prix Fixe menu that is pretty good as well....and with the park open late, you have the option to spend the evening around World Showcase. If you've never been to either, even though MM is a family fave of ours....I'd opt for Chef de France for the longer night out!!!! WINK WINK!!!! Enjoy!!!
Thanks!! Those late hours of Epcot sure is making this hard haha. We actually have a fantasmic dinner planned later in the week for our whole crew with the Minnie seasonal dine. Chef de France just looks fancy and may be a nice adult dinner but I love Italian. I see both have a steak option too wonder which one is better?! I appreciate your feedback!

Both are very good and totally different.
It really comes down to whether you want Italian or French dining. We have not had a bad meal at either. Chef de France may be a bit noisier.

Thanks!! Those late hours of Epcot sure is making this hard haha. We actually have a fantasmic dinner planned later in the week for our whole crew with the Minnie seasonal dine. Chef de France just looks fancy and may be a nice adult dinner but I love Italian. I see both have a steak option too wonder which one is better?! I appreciate your feedback!
I had the steak once at MM and it wasnt great! I'm sure the Filet with Frites at Chef de France is much better....although I would scrap the steak and get the duck!!!

I have eaten a Mama Melrose several times and enjoyed our meals there. The food and service were excellent. If you truly prefer Italian, should be a no brainer. I Have not tried Chef de France, so can not comment or make comparison.

I'd choose Chef just because it's in Epcot. That would be my preference for a date night. We watched Illimunations from the back of Epcot. After most of the crowds left we leisurely worked our way out towards the exit. It was quite, beautiful, and overall an amazing experience.

I have never ate at Mama Melrose, but we did eat at Chef's for my dad's b-day last November & really enjoyed it. We all had the Prix Fixe menu & it was good. Personally I think dinner in France & getting to spend some leisure adult time at Epcot sounds like a great date night or maybe that's just me cause I'm a single girl who would love it. :laughing:

Being French and cooking similar foods at home, I don't frequent Chef's unless I'm in the mood for snails, but they have good food and the restaurant is super cute. Mama Melrose, much to my surprise was quite good as well. On 10/02 we celebrated a birthday where the birthday girl is a pasta lover and it was her request. I had the Pork Saltimba, lovely presentation and it was delicious and well executed. The girls each had Mama's Special Pasta and loved it. MM was a bit loud, maybe Chef's would be a little less so, and maybe even a bit more romantic.... The choice is yours, enjoy!

We love Chef de France and eat there every trip. The salmon, duck, and steak are all great! As someone else mentioned Tuttu Italia is a good choice as well.

We liked both. I would say that Chefs gets super loud during peak dining times--they pack the tables really close together and it is hard to hear yourself think. Food is good though, and if you go at an off dining time the noise should be manageable.

We really like Mama Melrose. I really like the chicken Campanelle, and sometimes get the Italian wine flight. To me, it always feels like you have stepped away from the hectic park for a few minutes. Chef's is okay- but when we were there it was really loud and we felt crammed in.

I’ve never been to chefs. But if you have a decent Italian food place at home, you won’t be missing out on much at Mama Melrose. It’s not offensively bad, but it’s also nothing spectacular. I think what would tip the scales to chef for me is that Epcot has late hours and just, for me personally, better suited for “date night”. Even if you don’t go to chefs I’d stick to somewhere in Epcot over Mama Melrose.

I had the spaghetti at MM a few months ago. Yuck. My DH liked it but I thought it was bad. We like Chefs a lot. I don’t think it is overly loud. They seat parties of 2 near the front windows. I find it relaxing & a more romantic atmosphere than MM. Just my personal preference. My DH always gets the fillet, I’ve had the fillet, chicken & the salmon. All very good.

Thank you all for the input and sharing your experiences. Looks like Chef de France it is along with enjoy some late Epcot Park time. That other Italian restaurant mentioned in some post look super good too I do want to eye up that menu some more but as of now I made a ADR for Chef de France. It is just me or is Disney planning and research a fun addiction?! Haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter