Making Cruise T-shirts

dthogue

DIS Veteran
I would like to make t-shirts (maybe sweatshirts) for our cruise next year and need HELP!!

I would like to have our family name, the date of cruise, the name of the ship and some kind of picture with the characters and/or the ship. Unfortunatley I have no idea on how to go about doing this.

Can anyone help??

Thanks,

We did this for our first cruise in 1999. One of my friends bought some plain white T-shirts from target and then went to a place where they did airbrush and had shirts made for all the kids. They had the child's name,my first cruise,and a picture of Minnie(for the girls) or Mickey (for the boys). The kids all wore them at Castaway cay aand had their pictures taken. It is a great memory for them.

Most printers will print backwards, or a mirror image. All you need to do is buy iron-on transfer paper for your printer. Make up your design using a program such as Print Shop or Print Master. You could even do your design in Word - just make sure you tell your printer to print a mirror image.

I am doing this... So, I will tell you what I did, and what you should NOT do!!!

I made an awesome image, using Corelle Word Perftect TextArt, and the image of Captain Mickey from the DCL web site... Used the Disney Font to write Disney Cruise Line, The Disney Wonder, and our cruise date... Then added our familys last name underneath....

DH has a GREAT printer at work, so we bought the iron-on transfers, Avery brand, from Walmart. And I followed the directions to print them and iron them onto plain white tank tops. They were beautiful !!! Then, the image just cracked and peeled and started coming off the very first time I washed them!!! Arrrgghhhh!!!

So, I have now found a place that will take our image, print it on their professional iron-on sheets, and heat-press them on to the shirts. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work better!

Great for those of you who did this. I do have a few questions though. Did they say anything to you about using copyrighted material? Did they make you take them off? Did you get in trouble? I went through the proper legal process and contacted Disney and was told that I was not permitted to use any "Disney" copyright pictures. I actually found them on the internet. I even sent them exactly what they would look like but was still told no. That stinks, I wanted to make this really special for my nephews. The trip is a total surprise for them. They think we are going snowmobiling..boy will they be surprised!

Cindy

:wave:

Here is my take on this... I got my image directly off of the DCL web site, simply by right-clicking... There is no effort made to stop this... No copyright symbol... Nothing..... There are sites online, like Mickeysplace, where there are dozens of images available.

Also, by putting your names, dates, etc.. on the shirts, then it is obvious that this is YOUR making, not a copy of Disney merchandise.

The place where I am having mine done, they have expressed NO problem with this at all. Where I truly believe that that they would have if they were concerned.

And, look at all the other cruisers who are doing the same kind of thing!!!

Bumping up - still looking for help on how to do this - where can I find DCL pictures to use?

Thanks,

I also contacted Disney about making T-shirts. We planned on having them made by a internet company, then all the cruisers could buy them. Because a purchase was involved it was a big No No! We changed our logo to one without any Disney trademarks.BUT.....the following year a DIS'er made the logo and e-mailed it to the cruisers, we then each made "our own" shirt. You are allowed to use the Disney trademarks if they are for your own personal use (not for re-sale). OK...maybe not "allowed" but they will not press the issue if your not selling them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter