making a dense cake from a mix?

cryssi

<font color=blue>Kabocha<br><font color=green>Look
Hi! I don't know if that made sense, but I'm trying to make a cake that is a little denser than one that is just made with a cake mix. I know my mom puts mayonnaise in hers, but they still come out fluffy. I want to float mini chocolate chips throughout the batter and don't want them to sink. I will be making one of those 3D ball cakes. I've seen suggestions like add an extra egg and a box of pudding. I'll probably give it a try this weekend, but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions?

TIA! :)

If you don't want the chips to sink try this-coat the chocolate chips in a little of the dry batter mix(shake off extra). Mix all other ingredients before adding and they should not sink to the bottom. I have not tried this but heard it works. Hope this helps.

I have dusted blueberries in flour to keep them from sinking in blueberry muffins. Maybe it would work for the chocolate chips.

thanks! I'll have to try that...

the extra egg does help, i've also added pudding and sour cream, but i've lost my recipe i liked. :rolleyes:
i still have not been able to find anything even close to how dense the cake at the contempory food court was. maybe someone has this recipe?

Cake Mix Doctor website has some recipes for making dense cakes as well as message archives full of yummy recipes. :thumbsup2 You can also get her book at the library. :flower:

I never find cake mixes taste right, plus I'm trying to avoid additives, trans fats etc etc.

Try this all-in-one method and really impress everyone!

Weigh your eggs (2 large eggs makes about 18 cup cakes, 4 will give you 2 8" round cakes to sandwich together) then weigh out equal ammount of butter into a large bowl and soften in microwave for about 20 seconds (should be soft - alternatively leave at room temperature til squidgy but not pouring out of the paper!). Add equal ammounts of sugar, self-raising (cake) flour and the eggs (you can lightly nbeat them but it doesn't matter) then mix together really well with an electric (hand deld) mixer until well mixed and fluffy. If the mixture is a bit stiff then add a spoon or two of milk (it depends on the eggs) then gently stir in your choc chips before tipping into your cake pans.

This works equally well with dried fruit or anything else, or leave it plain. This is the mixture I whip up on a rainy day when I don't want to take the kids out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter