Major headache?

If you have unlimited choice in selecting UY, selecting a UY a month or two prior to your normal vacationing period makes sense. (Of course, your "normal vacationing period" may change as your family ages and interests change.)

But to be honest, I think UY gets more attention than it deserves here. We tend to microscopically examine every feature of DVC as if everything was critical.

UY is not, IMHO. It's just something you manage -- like booking windows, banking, borrowing, transferring, etc.

Our UY was October -- for an account with three families, all with school-aged kids, and with one Mom who is a teacher. Needless to say, the vast majority of our vacations were taken after our banking deadline. In more than 30 trips, we never had a problem...including the time one of my daughters canceled a reservation inside of 30 days and the points went into holding with only two months left in our UY. We just educated ourselves and managed accordingly.

Sigh.

Everytime someone comes on DIS and excitedly posts that they just bought DVC, people start in about "Why did you buy direct?" and "Why didn't you buy resale?"...

I think you are a bit sensitive. I actually see it as "Did you know you could get the same thing by buying resale and save money? You are still in a position to rescind your purchase if you want to consider a resale."

I think you are a bit sensitive.

Nope, not sensitive, just noting an observation of what occurs anytime someone posts they bought direct.

I actually see it as "Did you know you could get the same thing by buying resale and save money?...."
Excellent example, thank you.

This is EXACTLY my point. Someone who buys direct is NOT getting "the same thing by buying resale...." And that's pretty important, imo.

- Dreams

I have to agree with Disney Dreams here. You'd like to think (and there is always exceptions) that if you're buying something like this, you'd do some research. My fiance and I knew we were going direct. We preferred dealing with Disney. We wanted VGF. We are very very happy. We knew all about the resale, and had done our homework.....after which, we were still 100% happy paying more to deal with Disney.

...This is EXACTLY my point. Someone who buys direct is NOT getting "the same thing by buying resale...." And that's pretty important, imo.

- Dreams

But you are getting the same thing as resale. All you are guaranteed is staying at DVC resorts. Everything else could be gone tomorrow.

We bought AKV direct in 2008. I heard of resale but didn't know much about it. As another mentioned here I had a comfort level buying from Disney and otherwise would not have considers a timeshare. Since then, we decided to add on this year and bought BWV resale with a different UY. We will use our points there for the first time in March 2014. It does take some planning. Not just because of a different UY but also not enough points for the number of days wanted. I ended up booking 3 nights with BWV at 11 month mark, then booking 3 more with my AKV points at 7 month mark without a problem. I then linked the two together and was told we would not have to change rooms and I did not transfer any points.

We bought AKV direct in 2008. I heard of resale but didn't know much about it. As another mentioned here I had a comfort level buying from Disney and otherwise would not have considers a timeshare. Since then, we decided to add on this year and bought BWV resale with a different UY. We will use our points there for the first time in March 2014. It does take some planning. Not just because of a different UY but also not enough points for the number of days wanted. I ended up booking 3 nights with BWV at 11 month mark, then booking 3 more with my AKV points at 7 month mark without a problem.

The only problem will be it will be two separate reservations, even if they are linked. You'll have to check out and check back in. And, hopefully, they will have you blocked into the same villa.

If you have unlimited choice in selecting UY, selecting a UY a month or two prior to your normal vacationing period makes sense. (Of course, your "normal vacationing period" may change as your family ages and interests change.)

But to be honest, I think UY gets more attention than it deserves here. We tend to microscopically examine every feature of DVC as if everything was critical.

UY is not, IMHO.
It's just something you manage -- like booking windows, banking, borrowing, transferring, etc.

Our UY was October -- for an account with three families, all with school-aged kids, and with one Mom who is a teacher. Needless to say, the vast majority of our vacations were taken after our banking deadline. In more than 30 trips, we never had a problem...including the time one of my daughters canceled a reservation inside of 30 days and the points went into holding with only two months left in our UY. We just educated ourselves and managed accordingly.

If you can get a UY that allows for the best options in case of last minute cancellation then it's prudent IMO to get it - especially when buying direct and you are able to get any that you want. All it takes is one emergency and cancellation of one trip to make it very worthwhile to have paid attention to that detail. We've owned 5 1/2 years now and had 2 late cancellations due to deaths in the family. I was very happy to have lots of time to work with the holding points rather than dealing with it on top of everything else. If we lived in FL or closer it would probably be less relevant but I'd still prefer to have a UY that gave us the best options rather than just ignore it or consider it an insignificant detail.

Sigh.

Everytime someone comes on DIS and excitedly posts that they just bought DVC, people start in about "Why did you buy direct?" and "Why didn't you buy resale?"

However this person came with a question about UY and then later shared they would be looking to add on resale - they weren't just looking for congratulations. From what I see the type of posts you reference do tend to simply get that - congratulations.

The only problem will be it will be two separate reservations, even if they are linked. You'll have to check out and check back in. And, hopefully, they will have you blocked into the same villa.

True, although the MS agent I spoke to told me we would not have to change rooms. I will let you know what happens. If we have to, then I will know in the future to transfer points! I just figured keep it simpler if I didn't have to.

Funny thing. When people buy direct OR resale and don't tell anyone about it, no one comments. When they come on a public forum whose sole purpose is discussing purchasing DVC and post their decision, people do comment, and offer their opinions.

And yet some other people take umbrage that opinions would be offered. In an opinion public board forum. Always makes me laugh...

To the original poster, if you bought VGF, direct was the obvious correct decision currently. But for a buyer wanting AKV or any other resort, they're throwing money away IMO if they don't buy resale in MOST cases.

And after all, the point of a site like disboards is for people to post their opinions, right??? It would be silly for a person to post here if they didn't want public input, right???

Or am I missing something?

We just bought DVC direct while at AKL for AKV yesterday! We wanted to buy our first points direct through Disney but I would like to add more points from the resale market in the future. Our sales person said that Use Year is a big issue if adding on resale points in the future. He said if we bought points that have a different UY month than ours that it causes "major headaches" and isn't worth it. Is there truth to this? Should UY be a consideration when buying resale? Or is he just trying to keep us buying direct?
If one plans to buy resale and retail both, it's generally far better to buy resale first so you can then add the same UY retail fairly easily.

I have to agree with Disney Dreams here. You'd like to think (and there is always exceptions) that if you're buying something like this, you'd do some research. My fiance and I knew we were going direct. We preferred dealing with Disney. We wanted VGF. We are very very happy. We knew all about the resale, and had done our homework.....after which, we were still 100% happy paying more to deal with Disney.

IMHO, our goal should be to provide the info needed for potential buyers to make an informed choice. You made an informed choice and are happy with the results so good for you. :)

We all have opinions - sometimes it's tough to separate "fact" from "opinion", especially when we express our opinions as though they are true facts. :teeth:

We just bought DVC direct while at AKL for AKV yesterday! We wanted to buy our first points direct through Disney but I would like to add more points from the resale market in the future. Our sales person said that Use Year is a big issue if adding on resale points in the future. He said if we bought points that have a different UY month than ours that it causes "major headaches" and isn't worth it. Is there truth to this? Should UY be a consideration when buying resale? Or is he just trying to keep us buying direct?

We own two UY's and at first, I wasn't going to go that route because I started that way and it didn't seem like a good idea.

However, when we added on more points, I realized that as long as I was buying enough to function as it's own membership, having two is not quite as big of a deal as I thought.

Is it confusing some times? Yes, and I have to think about which points can be used for which trips so that I plan things efficiently since I also have two home resorts--BLT and BWV.

My goal is to eventually get BWV points for my June UY. If you can find AKV with the same UY than its definitely easier. However, we have found that having a Dec UY along with June allows us to take our Memorial Day weekend trips without worry as we would have never started that if we only had the June UY.

With typical Fall travel, I would say that April is the farthest back in terms of UY I would buy. I think a June UY would be better as that would still cover summer, fall, and early winter trips. You'd still get 2013 UY points--as mentioned, you get those buying direct because you are entitled to current UY points--which could then be banked for next year.

Remember, UY has nothing to do when you book and you don't have to wait until your UY begins to have access to points. It is all based on time of travel so this November, you could book a October 2014 trip and be able to use banked 2013, 2014 and borrow from your 2015 UY to cover that trip.

Good luck!

OP, you mentioned you were thinking of VGF instead. If that's where you truly want to be, why not just go that route? I'm assuming it's the discount per point on AKV but is that discount worth it when you state that you'll really want to stay at VGF and you may not be able to get in at the 7 month mark?

Forget reconsidering for resale or UY, but perhaps reconsider based on this fact. Heck, if UY is a deal, when deciding on VGF you can tell them you really would prefer some other month.

Nope, not sensitive, just noting an observation of what occurs anytime someone posts they bought direct.

It doesn't happen every time. In this case the op has time to change heir decision. They don't totally understand uy. They kind of believe that they got something extra which shows a lack of complete understanding. Then later we find that akv isn't actually where they want to stay! The response to this poster was absolutely perfect IMO.

We are happy too. But we had fewer misconceptions than the op. the op hasn't done 100% of the homework IMO. And your resort is brand new...not much on the resale market yet. :)

Op if you want to stay at vgf, buy there. Rescind akv and get what you want. It makes far more sense since you are buying direct anyway.

True, although the MS agent I spoke to told me we would not have to change rooms. I will let you know what happens. If we have to, then I will know in the future to transfer points! I just figured keep it simpler if I didn't have to.

When you check in for the first reservation, just ask to make sure you are blocked into the same villa. And you might not be able to do online checkin. I couldn't do it for my reservation last week.

Finding the right number of points for the right use year at the right resort for the right price is not easy. Personally, I wouldn't buy direct but that is your choice. But, if you are bent on having some direct points and some resale points, you'd have a much easier time making your initial purchase on the resale market, and doing your add-on wi direct points, since Disney can give you whatever use year you want. You still have time to cancel your direct buy and reverse things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter