MAJOR change coming to MCO -- Uber/Lyft pickups

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Yesterday, the Florida Legislature passed a statewide law taking regulation of rideshares completely away from all local governmental bodies. The bill passed the House 115-0 and passed the Senate 37-1 with total bipartisan support.

Orlando will no longer be able to stop rideshare drivers from picking up at MCO.

For WDW visitors, that means you will no longer have to pay $60-$100 for a taxi or car service from MCO to your offsite resort.

You will be able to get Uber/Lyft for $20-$25 (or $40-$50 if you need more space).

The law goes into effect July 1, 2017.

Here's a link to the bill if you want to read it: https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2017/0221

Good news, but that law probably doesn't stop Disney from banning rideshare on their property. Let's hope they don't, when they start running their in-house door-to-door service.

The biggest drawback to staying at the Swan or Dolphin has now been removed. I doubt I'll ever consider staying anywhere else moving forward.

Good news, but that law probably doesn't stop Disney from banning rideshare on their property. Let's hope they don't, when they start running their in-house door-to-door service.

I see no chance Disney continues to allow Uber/Lyft onsite when their program is fully up and running.

We'll see.

Here is the salient part of the statute (TNC = Transportation Networking Company):

"It is the intent of the Legislature to provide for uniformity of laws governing TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles throughout the state. TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles are governed exclusively by state law, including in any locality or other jurisdiction that enacted a law or created rules governing TNCs, TNC drivers, or TNC vehicles before July 1, 2017."

The governing jurisdiction at WDW is the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which was created by state law. There is no exclusion of Reedy Creek in the statute, so I don't see how they would be any different from an airport or seaport authority elsewhere in the state. This new statute appears to void ALL locally-imposed regulations and restrictions effective July 1, 2017.
The wording is quite clear in the statute, and was intended specifically to make ridesharing available and consistent statewide.

I guess only time will tell, but the legislative intent is quite clear.

The governing jurisdiction at WDW is the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which was created by state law. There is no exclusion of Reedy Creek in the statute, so I don't see how they would be any different from an airport or seaport authority elsewhere in the state. This new statute appears to void ALL locally-imposed regulations and restrictions effective July 1, 2017.
The wording is quite clear in the statute, and was intended specifically to make ridesharing available and consistent statewide.
The roadways are Reedy Creek's, but the resorts are private property, and probably the theme park lots as well. IMHO Disney would be within their rights to exclude Uber & Lyft from the resorts & park lots.

DS is a gray area to me. The surface lots may be Disney property. I think the new garages were built by Reedy Creek for tax advantages, but I don't know who technically has control of them.

I use Uber all the time....but I can't figure out HOW they can ban Uber from picking someone up at the airport? They are in unmarked cars...they could pick u up at the baggage claim...I don't see how they can enforce that law!

I use Uber all the time....but I can't figure out HOW they can ban Uber from picking someone up at the airport? They are in unmarked cars...they could pick u up at the baggage claim...I don't see how they can enforce that law!

Wouldn't the authorities just load the app on their phone and request a ride at the airport?

In NYC when it was illegal it was because they still needed the Taxi liscense plate and they often did stake outs where they looked at people looking at rheir phones before the car pulled up and who didn't hug or shake hands when the driver got out. Basically reading the situation. Easy to see when it is a friend/family picking up or a complete stranger.

Uber enforces it. They just won't send requests to drivers who don't meet the requirements. As someone else said, the police have also been reported to conduct sting operations.

They catch people randomly, essentially. Taxi drivers take down license plates of people they see on a daily basis. Or tourists ask airport officials stupid questions and they get caught that way. Stings may be part of it, but locally, I suspect a lot of the "patrolling" was done by taxi drivers who turn in repeat offenders. There are all kinds of port fees and agreements in place and nothing gets the taxi drivers angrier than when the ride share folks are operating without paying those.

We'll see.

Here is the salient part of the statute (TNC = Transportation Networking Company):

"It is the intent of the Legislature to provide for uniformity of laws governing TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles throughout the state. TNCs, TNC drivers, and TNC vehicles are governed exclusively by state law, including in any locality or other jurisdiction that enacted a law or created rules governing TNCs, TNC drivers, or TNC vehicles before July 1, 2017."

I guess only time will tell, but the legislative intent is quite clear.

Was it really to make ridesharing consistently available? Or just make it easier to fight on a state wide level? I guess I just don't see the motive for the state legislature to say free for all ride share- I would suspect some kind of regulation on its way.

I think with Disney it's going to be about either: tying a specific license plate to your magic band OR making it a lot more difficult for ride share vehicles to drop people off in convenient spots, then give their own service extra convenient drop off spots.

Disney will be really stupid to ban them. All it will do is get them bad publicity and have people come up with the "ways around the Disney ban" especially if Disney is 2x as high as I expect LOL!

No, I think the advantages would outweigh the bad publicity for Disney. If that move is coming, it's probably a way to limit traffic and potential accidents. Plus their agreement with Mears. I suspect all they would have to do is tell people Uber is no longer allowed, start making an example out of a few drivers, and then boom, uber isn't sending drivers there anymore. Uber has enough legal stuff on their hands with huge cities and airport- I don't think they'd take Disney on.

No, I think the advantages would outweigh the bad publicity for Disney. If that move is coming, it's probably a way to limit traffic and potential accidents. Plus their agreement with Mears. I suspect all they would have to do is tell people Uber is no longer allowed, start making an example out of a few drivers, and then boom, uber isn't sending drivers there anymore. Uber has enough legal stuff on their hands with huge cities and airport- I don't think they'd take Disney on.
Uber may not be willing to take Disney on (though they should), but Uber customers would be angry enough to let Disney know in a very public way their displeasure at being cut off from convenient, inexpensive transportation.

I really don't think Disney will kick Uber off property. The reality is, their own ride service simply won't be enough to meet demand and they will need Uber. I suspect Disney will actually price their service to be the same or LESS than Uber in order to organically take the market share. Look at the park to park transportation service...its actually less than Uber would be to do the same thing. I have no idea how large Disney's fleet will be but in the beginning, I'm sure there will be more demand than supply. However, a lot of people won't use Uber/Lyft due to safety concerns and Disney has that ace up it's sleeve as a selling point. However, I'm sure the Disney service won't go off property either and people use Uber for that as well so there will still be a need to allow it. It's not like Disney runs a shuttle to Universal, or door to door to the airport in a private car, or to off property restaurants, stores, pharmacies, etc. There are simply too many reasons why people might call an Uber while at WDW that Disney can't provide transportation for.

Look at the park to park transportation service...its actually less than Uber would be to do the same thing.
Fact Check:
  • Express: $29 per person for 7 days, for a party of 2 $58
  • Uber: About $10 park-to-park
So for a party of only 2, that's 6 Uber transfers, or about 1 a day. I see it as roughly break even; Uber has the price advantage for 3-4 Guests, unless they're routinely hopping more than once a day. I think express sells more on the convenience and time-saving than on cost.

Fact Check:
So for a party of only 2, that's 6 Uber transfers, or about 1 a day. I see it as roughly break even; Uber has the price advantage for 3-4 Guests, unless they're routinely hopping more than once a day. I think express sells more on the convenience and time-saving than on cost.

Uber: For MK has to drop you off at TTC or Contemporary and then you walk to your location. All other locations you are dropped off at the Taxi drop off not passenger drop off. Must go back through security.

Express: Drops off backstage and no security check needed.

So yes for Express you are paying for the convenience. Cost would even out for 2 pretty quickly since 29 is for 7 days. and would be 58. Uber would cost about 70 depending on traffic and Driver's knowledge of getting around Disney property (i.e. Not going near ESPN WWS on a race weekend or Disney Spring in the afternoon).

With that said I think both can survive. Disney's version will either pick up and drop off backstage like express or it will pick up and drop off at the bus loops. Big advantage at MK.

Fact Check:

I was just using this as an example of how Disney kept the price in line with what Uber might cost (and it's cheaper than a taxi for sure) plus they have the added backstage benefit so there is an added value. They were smart with the pricing which is what I think will happen with their Uber knock off. There is already added value in having a knowledgeable Disney CM doing the driving. I'm sure they will also offer basics like bottled water as well as premium drop off locations to make their service more desirable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter