• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maintenance painting in an occupied room

nuttypretzel

Mouseketeer
Has anyone had maintenance come in and paint the inside of your hotel room while you were out for the day? On our recent trip the first week in January, we returned to our room in Coronado Springs to find a note on the table featuring a picture of Mickey with a paint brush. The note said “Hola. The paint in this room has been touched up and may still be wet. Please be careful. Gracias. Time: 1:00.” There were wet paint signs with pictures of Stitch taped on the picture next to the bed and on the nightstand with an arrow pointing to the wall behind the bed.

Is it now normal to do maintenance in occupied rooms? I did not ask for this or any other maintenance. We have never experienced this before at any hotel. The person at the front desk seemed surprised that it had been done. The promised call back from a manager never came. The preprinted signs make it appear that they do this on a regular basis.

To my knowledge they haven't done that. I would think b/c of paint fumes that you couldn't paint an occupied room. I'd have called the front desk to ask about it. That sounds strange to me.

I think I would be pretty upset. You have your personal things in that room that they don't need to be painting around. Not to mention the smell. I wouldn't want to come back after a long day in the park to find that my room smelled like wet paint. yuck

Did they touch up a small spot or was this repainting the whole wall ? I could understand someone being upset either way but the amount of paint would be what bothered me. I might not mind a small spot if they did it early and it was dry by the time I returned. The privacy issue is another problem alltogeather.

We would have to move - I have a breathing disorder and paint fumes are one of my triggers

They painted the entire wall behind the bed and the wall that separates the room from the bathroom. I was offered a new room, but we declined since we did not want to waste the time packing and unpacking again. I called maintenance to make certain that they would not return to finish the room the next day. The responce I got from them was "Ok we will remove that room from the schedule."

I find that hard to believe that they would paint your (or any room at any resort for that matter) room during your stay. You choose that to be your first post on the DIS? Sorry but I don't buy it.

I've never heard of that. Do maintenance/painting on a room while occupied and still get money for renting it. Sounds good for the stockholders, though, but not so good for a guest. Last year when certain OKW buildings were being painted, they had whole blocks of rooms taken out of service. Sounds like some sort of mix-up to me. I've never heard of Disney doing what happend to you. I have seen painters in the hallways at BWV, though, with wet-paint signs up.

That seems really dumb on Disney's part. Not only would it anger the guests in the room but chances are if they have done walls that they could get messed up again even though they put signs up becasue of all the kids that could be in the room. Then they would just have to re do it again.

This could be a testimony on how busy some of the resorts are. If the only time they can do this minor repair is when a guest is in the room.

B.

I find that hard to believe that they would paint your (or any room at any resort for that matter) room during your stay. You choose that to be your first post on the DIS? Sorry but I don't buy it.

I just read another post over on the DVC boards about a similar experience happening very recently at OKW. It didn't involve paint, but it did involve smelly chemicals used for plumbing.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1686932

That sounds strange! What if you were allergic to paint fumes? :confused3

Maybe they would have to give you an upgrade!

They painted the entire wall behind the bed and the wall that separates the room from the bathroom. I was offered a new room, but we declined since we did not want to waste the time packing and unpacking again. I called maintenance to make certain that they would not return to finish the room the next day. The responce I got from them was "Ok we will remove that room from the schedule."

That's crazy! What if they got paint on your stuff? Did they move your stuff? That opens up a whole other legal can of worms. That makes absolutely no sense from a legal standpoint. It's not worth the risk for a guest to be allergic/asthmatic/claim to have something stolen.

They were touching up the paint in our one bedroom villa at the BCV when we checked in last summer. The paint was low (very low) odor paint and it didn't bother us in the least. Just nice to know that they continue to maintain the villas while they are being used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter