Magnet paper or laminate w/magnet for door decorations?

mom-of-twins-2002

Mouseketeer
I've got some designs I'd like to print to decorate our door, but I'm not sure which route to go. Do people find certain magnets or magnet papers work better than others?

I have a laminating machine I could use, but am not familiar with what type of magnet to use for the back. Same for the paper--for those who've used them, which brand is best?

Thanks in advance for the input!
Tammy

I printed on card stock and laminated them. Then I bought a roll of magnetic tape at Michaels. It was relatively cheap.

I don't think the laminating was totally necessary though, esp since I printed on the card stock.

I just printed on glossy magnet paper sheets from office depot --- I know staples carries them as well... Came out great from an inkjet printer

I've got some designs I'd like to print to decorate our door, but I'm not sure which route to go. Do people find certain magnets or magnet papers work better than others?

I have a laminating machine I could use, but am not familiar with what type of magnet to use for the back. Same for the paper--for those who've used them, which brand is best?

Tammy

I print out my pictures on glossy photo paper and use the adhesive magnetic sheets from Michaels to put on the back. So the whole back of the picture is a magnet. Some people have good luck with smaller adhesive magnets afixed to the corners/edges of their pictures.

:cutie:

I'm nervous that the magnets ether won't adhere well to the picture or they won't stay put on the door. I guess I've run into bad luck in the past with trying to add magnets to kids' projects for the fridge. Makes me think I'm not using a good product.

Anyone else run into trouble or have any tips?

mom-of-twins-2002 said:

Tammy

I used staples brand and Avery. Both worked fine ;). Just print out right onto the magnetic paper

Our cruise was on January 2nd, so with all of the holiday hullabaloo going on, I never got around to ordering the magnetic paper. We were leaving the morning of the 31st! By the time Christmas came around, got the house un-decorated, double and triple checking all the packing, PLUS I put in time at work to make up for being gone the following week. Long story short, I never had time to run the magnets to get laminated, which the nearest Staples is about 45 minutes away, so it would not have been a quick errand.

In fact, as crazy busy as I was, I didn't even get around to printing the magnets until the night before we left. So, I printed on cardstock and attached magnets. They were fine. In fact, if I make any new ones for our upcoming cruise, I will probably do the same thing, because it was cheap, and our door still looked fabulous!

We ordered magnetic paper through Amazon and ran it through our color printer. Worked great.

Part of the problem is that previous cruisers used tape and destroyed the finish on some of the doors. When they were repainted, that extra layer on the metal doors made it harder for the magnets to stay put.

We bought magnetic paper at ac Moore. Michaels did not have any. 3 sheets per package and about $8 though used a 40% coupon. Came out excellent as the print side was glossy photo paper.

But needed extra so got last minute avery magnetic paper at Walmart at around $5 for 3 sheets. Still expensive but it was matte finish. Still not bad, but not as good as the glossy.

Do NOT use Avery brand. The sheets curled up on the edges and didn't stick well at all. We got Staples brand this time and although we haven't cruised yet, they seem much stronger given our test at home.

In the past, I have printed on card stock, used Avery self stick laminating sheets and the magnetic tape that someone mentioned above. With a couple of small pieces of tape in the corners of each magnet, we had no problems with it sticking to the doors and staying put. We also have a few magnets that we reuse on each cruise, so this method preserves them really well.

But i saw on another thread where someone said they have their designs printed as *photos* somewhere inexpensive, like Costco or Walmart, and then put magnets on the back. I thought that was a great idea, and am going to try it myself for this upcoming cruise.

mom-of-twins-2002 said:
I'm nervous that the magnets ether won't adhere well to the picture or they won't stay put on the door. I guess I've run into bad luck in the past with trying to add magnets to kids' projects for the fridge. Makes me think I'm not using a good product.

Anyone else run into trouble or have any tips?

Printing on magnetic paper and the magnet tape applied to cardstock has always worked fine for me.

The only trouble I have run into is most recently on our August 15th cruise on the Dream. Magnets were stolen. Someone on my meet thread had some taken too. It's an awful feeling to return to your room and find things missing from your door! Especially since they were special birthday magnets for DS. He was so upset! And he checked every day to see if they had returned! Never happened...

So, just keep that in mind!

we just got back from our 1st dcl trip and did a few things w magnets. printed on business cards pic, then laminated and added a business card size magnet, worked great only moved when opened door and have balcony door open too. 8 1/2 sheet laminated, needed 2 business card size(full one in middle & other cut in 4 added to corners) then for themed days we had printed pages so we put into a page protector sleeve w magnets on the black. just cut off the holes on the side. someone made us printed magnets on thin paper and it just kept falling off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter