Magicbands going away as a constant?

EMHDad

DIS Veteran
I was on my Disney experience and saw a note that said starting 1/1/21 magic bands are no longer complimentary for resort guests and that guests will use the app. Is this other people’s understanding? So, park tickets will use the app? What about when we are in storm along bay? App to get in? It will annoy me to be asked if I belong because we don’t have magicbands.

No, you won't get a mb for free with your stay. Mb wil still be in use and you can still buy them

You can still use magic bands they will just charge for them “. You can use the app. They will also allow some smart watches to work like an Apple Watch. Details have not been posted yet.

The older free ones seem to last for years for getting into the park, room charging and getting into your room . I understand getting pictures and the special queues may require you to get a new one if using very old ones . Hanging on to all of mine for future use.

we go second week of January. Quite disappointed in Disney in this. Paying a lot to stay on property with no pre-COVID perks. Was looking forward to getting these.
There were strong rumors about this even before Covid started, then it was announced mid-June. They are still available and will still be used. If you have old ones, you can use those. If you don't want to buy one, you can get a plastic card instead for free.

I was told by a CM in reservations that resort guest cost for a new mb will be $5...I guess that’s for the basic colors...didn’t think to ask For details.

We're going the second week of January too, a split stay. We rec'd one free set back in June we ordered when the announcement came, but for the second reservation we will be charged since we never put an order in. Looks like the option for the once free plain colored MB is now $5, upgrade to design is $10, special editions are $20, or there is the option to 'Reuse a MB'.

I kinda don't mind the change... there was alot of waste. But also totally understand your POV too- it feels like another blow to the value staying onsite. It's hard to turn down a free MB for people who have piles of them (guilty here); paying $5 might rein it in lol.

From what I could see, they just charge for what used to be “free” bands and didn’t increase the cost of the upgraded bands. We have a trip planned for 2021 and the upgraded bands cost the same as our 2020 bands.

CM told us yesterday that seeing as we chose our colours back in April when we booked the holiday, that these will still be "free" for when we arrive next September.

For stays Jan 1st or later I'm pretty sure anybody who put in their MB order before the cutoff in June '20 still get the 'complimentary' plain MBs (that are valued at $15); those that put in orders after the June cutoff have to pay $5 for the plain MBs that used to be complimentary.

The designed MBs with price upgrade seem to cost the same... tiers of $10, $15 and $20 depending how exclusive they are, lol.

I have no problems paying for the upgrade, but really hoping the supplies of the limited edition or custom MB are more readily available then.

Always did wonder at the MB expense - individually it is probably not much but the quantity would make the product cost prohibitive. We have so many now it is ridiculous. Our next stay is split so we can order 2 each so I ordered the colors we don't already have = LOL.

Haven't had a new one in years. Totally agree on the boxes. Holds the 20 or so bands we pick from.😛

My only issue with using MDE is that it seems to never connect on my phone and I hate carrying a card. I lose it multiple times a day. I guess I’ll be working with Disney IT next time to get my phone to work. And yes I’m that person who takes pictures of the fast passes so I have them. At least now I have unlimited data so I don’t have to use the WiFi.

How old a magicband has anyone used successfuly? Is there any way to check one out at home to see if it is still working?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter