MagicBand Battery Question

My daughter just reused hers a few weeks ago when she was there with the band and it was from July 2015. No issues at all!

We got ours in 2016. I’m hoping to use ours but only for admission and fast passes. We aren’t staying on property so won’t get free ones. Does anyone know if we should be ok. I don’t want pictures.

We got ours in 2016. I’m hoping to use ours but only for admission and fast passes. We aren’t staying on property so won’t get free ones. Does anyone know if we should be ok. I don’t want pictures.
Yes, as long as your new tickets are linked to the same MDE account / person as your existing magic bands, they will work for all tap uses like park admission and FP+

(It’s very rare, but the passive tap functions can break. If that happens the you could use your tickets or Guest Relations can issue a card)

Alternatively, many auto parts store have a device to test batteries in key fobs, since the tech isn't that far off, I wonder if these could be used to test the batteries in Magicbands.

It been a while since I have seen a magic band but aren't they 100% sealed. Not like a phone and that with the right tools and technique you can open it up but the case is molded around the guts.

I've only seen MB veer 1 tear downs and it requires scissors.

Alternatively, many auto parts store have a device to test batteries in key fobs, since the tech isn't that far off, I wonder if these could be used to test the batteries in Magicbands.
It been a while since I have seen a magic band but aren't they 100% sealed. Not like a phone and that with the right tools and technique you can open it up but the case is molded around the guts.

I've only seen MB veer 1 tear downs and it requires scissors.

There would be no need to "tear down" (open) a MB to test the RFID battery in the suggested manner.
(OTOH, I don't think that the car fob tester would necessarily activate the MB's "distance transmitter.")
Also, I don't think anyone is suggesting that if a battery was found to be dead that it could be replaced (which it cannot.)

Last edited:
Yes, as long as your new tickets are linked to the same MDE account / person as your existing magic bands, they will work for all tap uses like park admission and FP+

(It’s very rare, but the passive tap functions can break. If that happens the you could use your tickets or Guest Relations can issue a card)
Thank you! Yes, I did as you said with linking the same people with the magic band and new tickets. The bands are in great condition because they have only been used on one trip before.

There would be no need to "tear down" (open) a MB to test the RFID battery in the suggested manner.
(OTOH, I don't think that the car fob tester would necessarily activate the MB's "distance transmitter.")
Also, I don't think anyone is suggesting that if a battery was found to be dead that it could be replaced (which it cannot.)
Exactly and I don't know if it would or not, the car fob testers that I have used work from about 50 feet away when the battery is good, so that is why I was wondering if it might indeed work with the Magicband as well, just not sure in all honesty.

Definitely not suggesting trying to replace the battery, although I still don't understand the logic in not making it replaceable and don't give me the waterproof excuse, waterproof watches can have their batteries replaced. Seems to me this would be the far more environmentally friendly option.

You could get a portable long range NFC reader and test it starting at about 500 feet away and move closer until it can read it; however, at around $200 for a cheap one it would most likely cost more than a full round of magicbands.

My DD10 bought a new in package Stitch Magic Band two years ago on eBay. It worked last spring break but this spring break when we checked in at Bay Lake Towers, the guy checking us in checked the battery for her. It was dead, which we kind of expected. He promptly wrote her a note granting her a free magic band from anywhere on property. It was such a kind and unexpected surprise.
They have the ability to check at resorts, or at least they did at BLT.

Exactly and I don't know if it would or not, the car fob testers that I have used work from about 50 feet away when the battery is good, so that is why I was wondering if it might indeed work with the Magicband as well, just not sure in all honesty.

Definitely not suggesting trying to replace the battery, although I still don't understand the logic in not making it replaceable and don't give me the waterproof excuse, waterproof watches can have their batteries replaced. Seems to me this would be the far more environmentally friendly option.

I do know a few electrical engineers who would probably love the challenge of checking the battery....

Just like in super slim phones putting in a replaceable battery would make it bigger because you have to use a battery holder with contacts, versus just spot welding the battery to some thin wires, and add some sort of door that stays closed so now you have to add a little screw and somewhere to screw it into. It all adds up. Oh and CM's having to check and replace batteries when a guest says their MB doesn't work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter