Magical express

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it sounds like it would be acceptable for one member of my party to get on the ME and say that we have 3 bags.

Wouldn't it be a lot less hassle and a lot less complicated to just rent a bigger car?

Or take ME to your resort and then pick up your rental. Several places to get the rental IN WDW or at a hotel near DTD.

It's a few hundred dollars more expensive to get an SUV. We will have three suitcases and a stroller. I drive a large car at home and my stroller takes up tons of room.

I think that it would be ok if some in your party took ME. Last year, I was on a different flight than my wife and kids. I rented a car and my wife and kids took ME when they got there. We used the luggage service--we had only checked 2 bags. One bag was listed as my wife's and one under my son's name. That way they "matched" when my wife and kids got onto ME. Hope this helps!

Interesting. I didn't know this.

Is this the "official policy" answer or the unofficial "how it works even though Disney doesn't want you doing this" answer?

It is the latter. And whenever this subject pops up I always wonder why it is allowed, as part of the rules of the Dis is to not post ways to get around Disney policy?

To me it is not different than asking if you can sneak another person into your room. You may not get caught, but it is still against policy, so it is still wrong to do. Getting away with something or not should not be how we judge if doing something is ok.

It is the latter. And whenever this subject pops up I always wonder why it is allowed, as part of the rules of the Dis is to not post ways to get around Disney policy?

To me it is not different than asking if you can sneak another person into your room. You may not get caught, but it is still against policy, so it is still wrong to do. Getting away with something or not should not be how we judge if doing something is ok.

Had the exact same thought! I see threads closed all the time with the standard 'Disney's policy is *insert here* and ways to go around policy are not allowed.'

Sharing DDP credits, kids getting adult meals, lying about the age of kids because Disney doesn't check, etc.

Obviously the Op's question was genuine and she's not trying to be deceptive, so I'm glad she got the answer. But even I'm definitely shocked - even the mod jumped on the 'that's policy, but' discussion! :confused:

OP, you can absolutely have 1 person ride DME with the 3 bags - that is not a problem at all :thumbsup2

But it sounds like it would be acceptable for one member of my party to get on the ME and say that we have 3 bags.
Absolutely the best way to do it. Many people find this to be the way to go since they don't need a huge car except for luggage.

You're right. But, the issue is that while Disney 'says' you can't do it, they allow it to happen. It's kind of a 'grey area' in Disney official policy. Now that they have changed the wording (a bit), it looks to be a little more 'official'. But who knows.
It's very different than putting too many people in a room. First, you are dealing with fire codes. Then, you are usually taking money out of Disney's pocket if that addtl person 'could' have been on the reservation. Then, the addtl, unpaid for person doesn't get a room key or EMH benefits.
If you send your luggage without riding the bus, you're the only one who stands to suffer, or have an issue.

But, it's far better (for the general riding public) to have people send their bags with DME and then get themselves there with a rental car vs bringing all their checked bags to the bus with them!!! Now, that's something that impacts everyone on that bus!!

I think this is a better fit for the transportation board; I'm going to move it over there.

Obviously the Op's question was genuine and she's not trying to be deceptive, so I'm glad she got the answer. But even I'm definitely shocked - even the mod jumped on the 'that's policy, but' discussion! :confused:

I'm glad the OP got an answer too. It was an honest question.

Don't be shocked that Mom (goofy4tink) hopped into the discussion. She is good that way! Not so quick to shut things down and smack hands (though she will) but always ready to offer up another viewpoint.

Had the exact same thought! I see threads closed all the time with the standard 'Disney's policy is *insert here* and ways to go around policy are not allowed.'

Sharing DDP credits, kids getting adult meals, lying about the age of kids because Disney doesn't check, etc.

OP, you can absolutely have 1 person ride DME with the 3 bags - that is not a problem at all :thumbsup2
The thing that concerns me is when someone asks a question and they get some not so great advice. We all know that there are certain things that Disney would prefer us not to do, but people do it anyway. And this is one of those cases. So, I want posters to have all the info they need in order to make an informed decision.

Here's the issue....there really aren't all that many people tagging their bags and then taking alternative transportation to WDW from MCO. Yes, there are some, but not a huge number. This whole 'Disney wants to hold us hostage by making us ride the DME bus' mentality is not accurate. Disney knows that there are going to be those guests who will rent a car...all the time. Nothing that Disney does is going to get those people on the bus...they want their car and that's it. But, sometimes those people may not want to rent a big car, or they don't want to wait at baggage claim..whatever...so they tag those bags and let DME transport them to the resort. Not a huge deal. I just think that Disney doesn't want a lot of the headache that is going to come from someone who tags their bags, then rents a car, and gets to their resort only to find that a bag hasn't been delivered!!! This guest has not used DME the way Disney tells us to...so Disney now can wash their hands of the whole thing....sort of anyway.

I just don't see this as a huge deal. It doesn't impact anyone other than that particular guest. Every single person that stays onsite at WDW is paying for DME...via their room rates. Not that that makes any difference. As I said before, if someone wants to tag those bags and then rent a car, fine. It's the guest that brings all of their checked baggage to the DME bus that irritates me. Slows down the entire process.

Couldn't you further solve for these rare "issues" by actually checking in at the ME counter, giving them the # of bags and then walking off the line and getting into your rental car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter