Magical Express service to end in 2022

So, with the end of DME, what would be the best option of getting to Disney with a wheelchair/scooter?

I remember pre-ME when Mears offered a paid shuttle service to WDW resorts. That may return. I don't know if it would be "best option" for wheelchairs/scooters -- hopefully others can share their thoughts.

I remember pre-ME when Mears offered a paid shuttle service to WDW resorts. That may return. I don't know if it would be "best option" for wheelchairs/scooters -- hopefully others can share their thoughts.

Yeah, they would most likely need to use an accessible van/bus to transport mobility devices.

Probably. Especially since there ain’t any other clear options for us that we can easily look up.

I know before COVID hit, Gold Mobility was working on being able to provide scooters at the airport along with transportation to and from the resorts and Orlando Area at an affordable price, hopefully they can pick those negotiations back up before this date.

I know before COVID hit, Gold Mobility was working on being able to provide scooters at the airport along with transportation to and from the resorts and Orlando Area at an affordable price, hopefully they can pick those negotiations back up before this date.

Hopefully. Then deciding on a backup plan on getting to Disney in 2022 will be much easier because more than likely, Gold will have accessible vans to get you there.

Train if we are lucky will be available in 2023, may be ready only in 2024.
Really sad for this choice. We loved magical express. Very convenient (and cheap :-))
Hope they will introduce a discount on train for DVC owners

I never used to mind calling for an Uber/Lyft, but since I started traveling with a Fold & Go- it nearly makes me break out into a cold sweat! 😰 The DME was the biggest factor in making my husband and I comfortable with me traveling to Disney alone... I didn’t (& still don’t!) want to even consider getting a rental (& having to load it, plus my luggage by myself) -or- having to beg a stranger to load my 50# wheelchair into the back of their SUV. 🤦🏻‍♀️ (& I know I have it good with the lightweight F&G!! So sorry to those whose need for DME is even greater than my own!!!)

I truly hope Mears offers a scheduled, Disney-centric, paid service in its place. 🚎 Yes, I loved the free aspect, and enjoyed watching the little videos, so I was willing to wait patiently... but if I’m paying, I want to know that I’ll be loaded up & whisked away quickly! And I want to listen to Disney music or the chatter of excited travelers... not news or any form of loud/crazy music whilst on my way to/from decompressing in my happy place, please 🙄 (and yes, I had both of those experiences on Mears buses which were helping DME deal with distancing measures post-reopening).

I never used to mind calling for an Uber/Lyft, but since I started traveling with a Fold & Go- it nearly makes me break out into a cold sweat! 😰 The DME was the biggest factor in making my husband and I comfortable with me traveling to Disney alone... I didn’t (& still don’t!) want to even consider getting a rental (& having to load it, plus my luggage by myself) -or- having to beg a stranger to load my 50# wheelchair into the back of their SUV. 🤦🏻‍♀️ (& I know I have it good with the lightweight F&G!! So sorry to those whose need for DME is even greater than my own!!!)

This is what I’m worried about. I have a Fold & Go too and just shudder at the thought of taking an Uber or Lyft. (Neither of which have their WAV program in the Orlando area.) I don’t want to even THINK about what the driver will say or do when he finds out that he has to load a 50 pound powerchair in the back of the car.

I truly hope Mears offers a scheduled, Disney-centric, paid service in its place. 🚎 Yes, I loved the free aspect, and enjoyed watching the little videos, so I was willing to wait patiently... but if I’m paying, I want to know that I’ll be loaded up & whisked away quickly! And I want to listen to Disney music or the chatter of excited travelers... not news or any form of loud/crazy music whilst on my way to/from decompressing in my happy place, please 🙄 (and yes, I had both of those experiences on Mears buses which were helping DME deal with distancing measures post-reopening).

Same, in addition to seeing the buses/vans in their fleet that are ACCESSIBLE and a checkmark box on the reservation form to acknowledge that you need this feature. And yes to not showing news on the TVs. I think that we’ve had enough the past year.

Once again, we have to remember that we need to voice these concerns and disappointments to Disney, as well as posting them here. As always, Disney looks at the number of Guests who are upset/mad/disappointed/and (probably most crucially) ready and willing to cancel a vacation over the lack of DME. Write an email, pick up the phone, let them know how you feel!

When I heard the news, my personal presumption was that Disney didn't re-up the Mears contract because of the coming train station at Disney Springs. Obviously they know how those timelines intersect better than anyone - and probably made a decision that then end of the contract meant no Magical Express for a year (or so) - which is more tenable for most Guests than charging for Magical Express under the Disney name. I also presume that Mears had to ask for more money (because more buses/drivers needed for social distancing) and so with lower attendance for Disney, and higher costs for Mears, this break in the Magical Express service was probably inevitable.

Nature, and capitalism both abhor a vacuum... it will be interesting to see what pops into the void left by the end of DME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter