Magical Beginnings and DDP

dismom5

Earning My Ears
Please help Im confused. We booked an 8 night 9 day park hopper vacation at yacht club concierge for the last week in August first week of Sept. We got the free DDP but disney just came out with the Magical Beginnings promo where the family eats free. This is designed for the 5 and under group Toddlers, infants etc. Since we have free dining does my 2 3/4 age child ,who eats well, get her own DDP credits? She should shouldn't she since they are promoting free dining for the family. It does't make sense to promote something geared toward this age group but not allow them to eat. They are part of the family. I'm confused. It sure would be nice to allow her to have her won snack credits. THanks for any info. : :bride: :bride: :groom: :groom:

This is basically the same program as the free dining, just being marketed differently. If you look at prices, etc. it is totally the same.

I think the Disney answer is likely to be that 2 year olds eat "free" normally--which is only true at family style or all you can eats.

I'd call...and argue this with CM.

Of course, you can always say that you made a mistake and he was 2 when you booked...is 3 at check in!

kcashner said:
This is basically the same program as the free dining, just being marketed differently. If you look at prices, etc. it is totally the same.

I think the Disney answer is likely to be that 2 year olds eat "free" normally--which is only true at family style or all you can eats.

I'd call...and argue this with CM.

Of course, you can always say that you made a mistake and he was 2 when you booked...is 3 at check in!

You know that is what is so hard. I have an almost 2 year old who likes to have his own food, not mine. Actually, let me change that. I like him to have his own food. I don't like sharing. :blush: If I thought I could get away with it I would definately tell him that he is 3, unfortunately I don't think that would work very well. First off, I bet they aren't that gullible. Second, I might get yelled at for cheating the system.

just rememer if you ask for your child to be considered three you will have to pay for park admission :rolleyes1 ...at the resturants that arent buffet or family style just pay oop...much cheaper then dishing out $$ for a park pass. at family style and buffet they get their own plate! =0) :goodvibes

Very true. It would only save us like 10 dollars to have him on the Dining Plan. I just hate the fact that WDW doesn't realize children under 3 don't always share off their parents plates, and not all of their meals are buffets or family style.

My take on this is if you advertise as free dining for the family and its a program to attract the 5 and under group than give everyone free dining or can we really call this false advertising? :confused3

dismom5 said:
My take on this is if you advertise as free dining for the family and its a program to attract the 5 and under group than give everyone free dining or can we really call this false advertising? :confused3

That was my understanding as well from reading Disney's announcement about the Magical Beginnings program. It states that the entire family gets DDP credits for their stay. My DS is part of the family, so I thought of course he would be included even though he is under 3. I don't mind paying a few dollars for his meals if that's the rules, but I totally misunderstood this announcement. If Disney is focusing on the 5 and under crowd during this slow time in the parks, than they could start by feeding them, LOL :bitelip:

my little guy will be 2 when we arrive and he eats almost as much as the other two so i know what you are talking about! the cs are pretty good about giving you a extra paper plate and i just order him fries/drink alacart then share my hamberger/chicken sandwhich(whatever) with him really there is so much food with the portion sizes that it is very easy to "SHARE". my DD's(7) appetite is minimal when we are wdw due to the heat! GOOD LUCK!

OP: the whole "magical beginings" title is just a hook to reel people with little kids in...

A. Disney already has theming geared to little ones
B. Disney already has early am hours at MK for resort guests (no new ones will be added..trust me i called to check)
C. Free Dinning was aready avialible(same dates same restrictions)

all that being said it is still a great deal....free is word rarely spoken at disney! :cool1:

I saw a magazine ad for Magical Beginnings today. One of the tags was "picky eaters" What are they talking about? Is there going to be different meal choices or mac n cheese offered everywhere or what? My youngest is 8 and will eat anything, so I'm just asking out of curiousity.

JillL. said:
OP: the whole "magical beginings" title is just a hook to reel people with little kids in...

A. Disney already has theming geared to little ones
B. Disney already has early am hours at MK for resort guests (no new ones will be added..trust me i called to check)
C. Free Dinning was aready avialible(same dates same restrictions)

all that being said it is still a great deal....free is word rarely spoken at disney! :cool1:

I thought there were extra morning hours with just Fantasyland open? Although its geared towrds the preschoolers, all resort guests can take advatage of it. I read it somewhere, but I could be wrong.

I guess I misunderstood the whole "Magical Beginnings" thing, too. They're not opening Fantasyland early on any other days besides EMH? That's kind of lame....I guess I thought it would be more like DL, where they open Fantasyland early a few days a week.

I also agree that they should implement some kind of dining plan for kids who are under 3, but big eaters. Even though my 2 boys will share (on separate plates, mind you) they will not share a drink, and end up eating every fry between them. It would be nice to be able to buy a "dining plan only" meal plan for my DS2. There's generally a big difference in appetite between an 18 month old, and a toddler who is almost 3. Not to mention that at almost 3, they have to have everything their older siblings have!

This is a quote from AllearsNet:

"During the Little Ones Travel Time, Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom will open an hour early on select days for Disney guests and their small-fry for favorites such as Dumbo the Flying Elephant, it's a small world and Peter Pan's Flight, and a new play area called Pooh's Playful Spot. Plus, youngsters can meet favorite characters during the special edition Extra Magic Hours. While guests must have Resort ID and valid ticketing for the parks offering this Fantasyland Extra Magic Hours, there is no additional charge to enjoy this extra time in the parks. This early access allows families with young ones to get an early start to their day and maximize park time before heading back to their Disney resort for an afternoon break."

This sure sounds like just Fantasyland is open extra, but maybe I misunderstood Disney once again....

dismom5 said:

My guess is that they're legal because, in reality, all PAYING guests are eating for free. We're lucky that they don't make us pay anything for the under 3 to stay or go to parks.

Also - how would they govern under 3 credits - I don't see how it would be possible. Why wouldn't everyone just claim they have a baby to get the credits? You don't have to pay for them or anything. Also - if you really do have a baby, but that baby is 3 months old - should they get credits? Who decides what the cutoff is?? Some kids eat only formula/breast milk for a long time but others start table food a lot earlier....Seems like a nightmare and a way to get a lot of people mad to me.

I have it all planned out for our 7 nights for me, dh, ds4 and dd almost-3. Basically, they're so generous with the DDP and portions - we're likely going to pay for only 1 or 2 meals total, so it practically is free.

I hope a lot of people don't start asking for this...I'm afraid Disney might change the age of 'child' to 2 instead of 3 if a lot of 2 year olds want to be on the DDP. Then we'll have to pay for the park admission. :guilty:

:banana: Thanks for all the info and opinions. Glad Im not the only one thinking this sounded to good to be true. This Magical Beginnings should only be promoted as having extra shows for the kids. Forget the food side of it. We already are going on free dining-which really isn't when you consider the cost of room on property(we are staying at the YC for the great pool). Still excited though.

I just read my May 2 email from Allears(yes I am a bit slow at reading my email) and it states that Fantasyland will be open one hour early on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday in addition to the EMH schedule. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter