Magic Oct 6, 2017 NYC, Nassau,CC, WDW

tinker&belle

DIS Veteran
I didn't see a thread yet for this cruise so I thought I would start one.

Super excited about this one. It will be our second cruise and our first time in NYC!

I booked myself and my son on this cruise. I'm unsure if I will be able to swing it or have to rebook into 2018 but my family lives in NY and I live driving distance so the thought of being chauffeured by dad was too much to resist (and not being 100% sure they will do the NY cruise in 2018). So for right now I am being optimistic! I usually vacation with my son on a "big" vacation every 2 years and right now I am still planning and saving for my 2016 trip to WDW with him.

I have not cruised since 2005 and he has never cruised. He will be 9 at the time and is looking forward to the Oceanear's Lab like crazy :)

My son will be 9 for the cruise as well! He doesn't know yet...making it a Christmas present but I know that the Avengers lab will be his main home for most of the cruise!!

I really hope I can pull it off in 2017. Will depend on how my year is at work (I am partially commission based). if I was not still working on saving up for my december trip it might be easier, lol. Actually just checked my vacation savings account and I am only a few hundred away from where I need to be so maybe.

I really hope I can pull it off in 2017. Will depend on how my year is at work (I am partially commission based). if I was not still working on saving up for my december trip it might be easier, lol. Actually just checked my vacation savings account and I am only a few hundred away from where I need to be so maybe.

I know what you mean. We were considering a week vacation about 3 hours away in state this Summer but may forgo that and just do an overnight a few towns over at a water park hotel to save $ and DH's vacation time since we picked a longer cruise this time.

I know what you mean. We were considering a week vacation about 3 hours away in state this Summer but may forgo that and just do an overnight a few towns over at a water park hotel to save $ and DH's vacation time since we picked a longer cruise this time.
I'm a single mom and took my kiddo on our first vacation since the divorce in september 2014. At the time I told my kiddo that we couldn't do it every year but promised him 2016. So I planned for december 2016 but honestly did not start saving for it in earnest until I booked the DVC room 11 months out. I use Digit which analyzes your checking account and takes money out of it based on spending usage for savings and have about $755 in there since November and I had saved up about $575 in disney gift cards... my goal was $1500 so I am pretty close to meeting that goal right now, and I still have some rewards coming to me as well (disney visa, but also work has a rewards program for a certain cabinet line I sell - I do kitchen design - and I can get target gift cards with the rewards that I have been turning into disney gift cards). Park tickets, hotel (DVC) and plane tickets are all paid for. The total for my goal is not much more than what will be left on the cruise after i pay off the deposit so it is possible. But tight :)

Hello! I'm Heather from CT. This will be our family's 4th Disney cruise and the first on the Magic. 490 days from today, can't wait! I have two children: at the time of sailing my son will be 10 and my daughter will be 13. As you can see, i only have 6 posts since 2012 because I usually join the cruise FB page. I couldn't find one yet though.

I'm a single mom and took my kiddo on our first vacation since the divorce in september 2014. At the time I told my kiddo that we couldn't do it every year but promised him 2016. So I planned for december 2016 but honestly did not start saving for it in earnest until I booked the DVC room 11 months out. I use Digit which analyzes your checking account and takes money out of it based on spending usage for savings and have about $755 in there since November and I had saved up about $575 in disney gift cards... my goal was $1500 so I am pretty close to meeting that goal right now, and I still have some rewards coming to me as well (disney visa, but also work has a rewards program for a certain cabinet line I sell - I do kitchen design - and I can get target gift cards with the rewards that I have been turning into disney gift cards). Park tickets, hotel (DVC) and plane tickets are all paid for. The total for my goal is not much more than what will be left on the cruise after i pay off the deposit so it is possible. But tight :)
I know how you feel. I'm a divorced mom myself. One of the main reasons I picked 2017 is so that I can save!! Sounds like you will have a great trip in December and something to look forward to when you get back.

We are booked on this one too! This will be our third DCL cruise, first on the Magic. We sailed on the Wonder in 2014, and the Fantasy in 2015 so far. Cruising in our party will be me (Travis), my wife Amy, our oldest daughter who will be 11, son who will be 9, and our youngest daughter who will be 4. Also traveling with us will be my mother in law, and step father in law. This is the first time we have adjoining cabins, and as of now we are down on deck 2, in the Deluxe Oceanview staterooms. We are very excited to cruise out of NYC, being that we are from PA, and can drive to the port! This cruise was perfect for us, due to the added day at WDW! Our son, who was almost 2 when we were there last, really wanted to go back to the parks. We prefer cruising to the parks, being that there is easier access to the characters, and way shorter lines, and who can forget, you are at sea and its so peaceful! We are looking forward to this cruise a lot, and look forward to meeting you all!

This will be us in no time!!!!

newyork.jpg

We are booked on this one too! This will be our third DCL cruise, first on the Magic. We sailed on the Wonder in 2014, and the Fantasy in 2015 so far. Cruising in our party will be me (Travis), my wife Amy, our oldest daughter who will be 11, son who will be 9, and our youngest daughter who will be 4. Also traveling with us will be my mother in law, and step father in law. This is the first time we have adjoining cabins, and as of now we are down on deck 2, in the Deluxe Oceanview staterooms. We are very excited to cruise out of NYC, being that we are from PA, and can drive to the port! This cruise was perfect for us, due to the added day at WDW! Our son, who was almost 2 when we were there last, really wanted to go back to the parks. We prefer cruising to the parks, being that there is easier access to the characters, and way shorter lines, and who can forget, you are at sea and its so peaceful! We are looking forward to this cruise a lot, and look forward to meeting you all!

This will be us in no time!!!!

View attachment 188070
the cruise ship goes right by lower manhattan?!

Hi all, we will be on this cruise also, I am so very excited as it is our first disney cruise. My husbands, kids, and mother in laws first cruise ever. My son will be 9 when we sail, and my daughter creeping up on 7. I hope we have a Halloween on the High Seas cruise like they are this year, around the same sail date as ours.. i think that will be so much fun. As a first timer I am a little worried about things not be available to book at the 75 day window.

What is everyones shore excursions? have you planned them yet? I am hoping to do the Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter in nassau. Maybe do the 5K at Castaway Cay, and the Sting ray adventure.. possibly parasailing.. now sure tho.. we need to budget ever single dollar so i need to have an idea of what else we need to save for the next 11 months.

We live in Ny so its so nice to not have to fly. If anyone would like to pen pal with my son or daughter.... just shoot me an inbox message!!

~the Kaisers~

Hey!!! Welcome to the group! I'm sure you are super excited to do your first Disney Cruise! We will definitely have a Halloween on the High Seas cruise for sure and the ship will be totally decked out (pun intended) with all kinds of Halloween decorations and activities, so don't forget your costumes!

I wouldn't worry too much about the pre-booking window. When we went on our first cruise with DCL, we didn't even do any pre-booking online at all. We did book the excursions we wanted right at the excursions desk on board and had no trouble booking what we wanted. I would however pre-book everything now for peace of mind, not only excursions, but dinner reservations too. If you plan to do a Palo Brunch or Dinner, always try to get your reservations ASAP! I highly recommend at least one adult night away to enjoy a Palo dinner, it's so good!!!

As far as the excursions we are doing, I know we are just doing some shopping at Nassau, maybe a trip over to Atlantis since our kids have never been there yet for some beach or swimming (Everyone else has on been to Nassau on our other cruises on RCCL). Castaway Cay is the greatest place on earth and we try to spend as much time as possible at the Family Beach, the kids love Pelicans Plunge (water slides), and the BBQ lunch on the island is included and fantastic! My wife and I did the Castaway Cay 5K last year, and if you aren't used to running in humidity, it's hard, I know it was for me. The rubber medal is pretty cool! I'm assuming most people are going to WDW when we arrive at Port Canaveral, since our tickets are included with the cruise.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, let me know. I am not on Facebook, so the cruise forums here and elsewhere are where I spend my time!

391 days!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi All,

We just booked this cruise. We were booked on the Wonder B2B Mexico cruises for 10/1 - 10/7 but decided to switch to this cruise instead. This is our 5th Disney cruise and first time on the Magic, this will be our Grand Slam cruise. We're traveling from AZ and looking forward to sailing past the Statue of Liberty!

Hi all, we will be on this cruise also, I am so very excited as it is our first disney cruise. My husbands, kids, and mother in laws first cruise ever. My son will be 9 when we sail, and my daughter creeping up on 7. I hope we have a Halloween on the High Seas cruise like they are this year, around the same sail date as ours.. i think that will be so much fun. As a first timer I am a little worried about things not be available to book at the 75 day window.

What is everyones shore excursions? have you planned them yet? I am hoping to do the Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter in nassau. Maybe do the 5K at Castaway Cay, and the Sting ray adventure.. possibly parasailing.. now sure tho.. we need to budget ever single dollar so i need to have an idea of what else we need to save for the next 11 months.

We live in Ny so its so nice to not have to fly. If anyone would like to pen pal with my son or daughter.... just shoot me an inbox message!!

~the Kaisers~

Parasailing at CC is awesome!!!! So quiet and peaceful up in the air and really cool view of the top of the ship, I would go for it if you can get it booked!

Quick question for you, since you live in NY. We were planning on flying into Newark the day before the cruise, since it's cheaper from AZ, is it best to stay there or should we go into the city to spend the night?

Thanks,

Jack

since you live in NY. We were planning on flying into Newark the day before the cruise, since it's cheaper from AZ, is it best to stay there or should we go into the city to spend the night?

Thanks,

Jack[/QUOTE]

So excited you'll be joining us and congrats on the Grand Slam!! Please join our FB page so we can all stay in touch as well!https://www.facebook.com/groups/112394782515854/
Unfortunately when it comes to "city" things.. I am pretty clueless, We live on long island as will possibly be getting a ride from family into the city that morning. I hope someone else will be able to answer that for you!!

Woooo hoooo its finally exactly a year till our cruise. Let's hope we don't get hurricanes like the one going on now. They got changed to a Canadian itinerary for the Oct 7th cruise (tomorrow)

Hi everyone,

This will be my 5th Disney Cruise and my husband's 4th Disney Cruise. We are only 7 days away from our Disney Fantasy - Western Caribbean Cruise - November 26, 2016 - December 3, 2016. We are taking my step-daughters with us on the Western Caribbean Cruise but it will just be the 2 of us on this cruise. We are super excited to be going "Concierge" this time to check it out all the perks you get when you are in a "concierge 1-bedrom". We have always sailed out of Port Canaveral, FL so we decided to try sailing out of New York to see if we like it, plus this cruise added an extra 8th night to the itinerary and is a "Halloween" Cruise which is awesome!!!

I read that this cruise will be the 1st one that Disney will premiere the "Marvel Day at Sea" which means that there will be a special day during the cruise where Marvel Characters will be all over the ship and they will be doing all kinds of themed Marvel activities, photo opportunities, food, etc. I hope they have Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy Characters on the ship!!

Does anyone know if a Facebook Group has been started yet for this cruise?

There is a group!
Disney Magic - oct 6, 2017 NYE to Bahamas.
Nice group of people and a fish extender sign up list!!

Hi everyone,

This will be my 5th Disney Cruise and my husband's 4th Disney Cruise. We are only 7 days away from our Disney Fantasy - Western Caribbean Cruise - November 26, 2016 - December 3, 2016. We are taking my step-daughters with us on the Western Caribbean Cruise but it will just be the 2 of us on this cruise. We are super excited to be going "Concierge" this time to check it out all the perks you get when you are in a "concierge 1-bedrom". We have always sailed out of Port Canaveral, FL so we decided to try sailing out of New York to see if we like it, plus this cruise added an extra 8th night to the itinerary and is a "Halloween" Cruise which is awesome!!!

I read that this cruise will be the 1st one that Disney will premiere the "Marvel Day at Sea" which means that there will be a special day during the cruise where Marvel Characters will be all over the ship and they will be doing all kinds of themed Marvel activities, photo opportunities, food, etc. I hope they have Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy Characters on the ship!!

Does anyone know if a Facebook Group has been started yet for this cruise?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter