Magic Mountain tips and fun

GatorChris

Not of This World
Took the family to Magic Mountain this week as a 8th grade grad present for my son. All of my kids are above the min height restriction for all of the rides, so that's a big plus. I never had to think about it once. I thought I'd share a few tips here that might help you.

First, we did the season pass/membership route. Being closer to Discovery Kingdom, any pass I buy at MM can be used in Vallejo later this summer. We wanted to do 2 days at MM, so this works out. And by the way, you need two days to get everything done that you want to get done.

Monday was crowded. Way more than I thought. But Tuesday was better. Still busy but not like a weekend like Monday felt. And it was 90 degrees both days, so we felt every bit of that heat anger that shows up mid-afternoon.

The rides here are in another thrill class than most theme parks. Especially Disney. Some will take your breath away and some will beat you to death. X2 was our first ride and that was a big mistake. It beat us up pretty bad. Like a giant grabbing me by the stomach and shaking both sides of me. It was fun for about 25 seconds and then the pain came. My daughter lost a show on that ride because of the way it whips your legs around. That was a bad start for a 9yo that tainted how she saw every ride after that. If you do X2, wait until later.

We got the refillable coke mugs for the two days. With Cokes going for $6 each, this saved us a bit. Plus when it's hot, it's nice to grab a coke. Though I felt pretty sick of Coke by the time we finished. Tip: do NOT do their lemonade. The combination of syrup and their tap water made it taste like the pine-sol they clean the bathrooms with. Nasty!

The second day, we went right (instead of left like we did day 1). We walked onto Goliath, which has a drop that will make the biggest thrill junkie shutter. Then we walked onto Twisted Colossus. They took a great old ride and made it awesome! A must-do. Crazanity will get you almost to the point of being sick, but it's fun. And Tatsu makes you feel like you're flying. It has an inverted loop that will make you feel like you're going to black out - it's that intense.

My faves were Superman:Escape. With 100mph speeds and a 400ft climb and fall, it was amazing both times I did it. And the Full Throttle was a rush, with a loop that you think will NEVER end, and then you come back and climb the loop and drop off of it. Simply amazing!

Without any characters and meet-n-greets, it did make the place seem very blah, but I understand why. And they do space out some rides for C19 but not all of them. It didn't make sense to me. But they did allow neck gaiters, so that's a +1 vs Disney.

If you do go, get some walking in and maybe walk on some hills and steps. My calves are still burning 2 days later.

Overall, it was a fun trip. Definitely not Disney level, but I got season passes, free parking, two nights at a hotel for the price of a family of 5 for 1 day at the mouse. So, the value is definitely there. I'd go back without reservation. Well, except you have to make reservations to go, so don't forget that part.

Glad you had a good time. I grew up 30 minutes away from it, so I forget that those thrills aren't something everyone is prepared for. I was a teenager when Goliath opened and my friends and I would fight over who would sit in the back row so we could "brown out". It can be a lot, but it's still super fun. Hopefully it wasn't too hot out there. The heat is the main reason I don't take my family there too often.

It’s been years since I went last. Once my daughter hits 54” I’m going to take the little daredevil. (She is 46” depending on footwear so I have a while 😂)

I've been to MM many times, in fact we have seasons passed right now, but as many times as I've been it seems like I'm always walking uphill wherever I go. You'd think I'd figure out some better routes by now 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter