Magic Kingdom FastPasses--Please Critique and Help!

mamateacher

Mouseketeer
Hi All,
I have been agonizing over FastPasses for a while, and now I have two days left to make reservations for them. Magic Kingdom is giving me the most anxiety. Do I get FastPasses in the morning in hopes that I can get more when we use our last one? OR Do I arrange the 3 FPs at night when it is busier? I know everyone has their own strategy but this is truly giving me anxiety!o_O Can you critique my plans? We are a family of 4 with two boys ages 12 and 14. We will not ride Space Mountain.

Here is what we have so far:
Arrival Day:
7D 4:30
Splash 5:30
O'Hana's at 7::10
Peter Pan 8:30

Next MK Day:
7D 9:30
Buzz Lightyear 10:30
Pirates of the Caribbean 11:30

Final MK Day:
Thunder Mountain 10:00
Speedway 11:00
Haunted Mansion 12:00

Last edited:
My thing about FastPasses is that I group them. I hate crossing the park (day one you're going from Fantasyland to Frontierland, back to Fantasy). So day 1, we did 7D, Peter Pan, and HM - filling in the space with Mickey's Philharmagic, Carousel, etc. Pirates, Splash, and Thunder would be grouped on another day, then 7D, Buzz, and Speedway. Your times are good - plenty of time to get other FPs, like Dumbo, IASW, etc :D We had no problem during Feb break getting extra FPs for 6-10 people (including President's weekend).

Another option would be to rope drop Adventureland - for Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc - which would free up another FP. Plenty of people rope drop for 7D, etc but we love to go off and do the other side when it's almost empty!

I agree with your strategy of getting fast passes in the morning. When we were there last August we were able to get lots of same day fast passes once we used our first three. If you think your family would want to ride things like Seven Dwarves or Splash Mountain more than once (mine did!) then you might consider getting fast passes for those on more than one day, since you probably won't be able to get same day fast passes for those. We found lots of same day fast pass availability for Pirates in late August, for example, and the stand by line for that ride was also shorter than many.

Arrival Day:

Next MK Day:

Final MK Day:

I agree with cmarsh31 that you should do your fastpasses in the order of the land. For instance assuming on the final day you want to keep those 3 passes - the order would be BTMRR, HM, Speedway or Speedway, HM, BTMRR - so you're making a natural progression across the park, it can be exhausting and wasted movement in the Florida heat to go back and forth (it's a long walk from BTMRR to Speedway!!)

On arrival day, I would switch the order. You have 2 fp+ on tap for 7D, so I would make one of them after dark - it is a completely (and better) ride in the dark. So make 7D your 8:30 fp+. And the earlier you go on Splash, the easier it is to dry off!! So, I would make that your 4:30. Then I might try to see what you can get done in Frontierland, Adventureland, and then Fantasyland and move the Peter Pan fp+ back closer to 7:30.

Also, try to get a ride in on BTMRR in the dark too!! Same theory - it's better in the dark. A good time to try and ride it standby is around parade time.

My thing about FastPasses is that I group them. I hate crossing the park (day one you're going from Fantasyland to Frontierland, back to Fantasy). So day 1, we did 7D, Peter Pan, and HM - filling in the space with Mickey's Philharmagic, Carousel, etc. Pirates, Splash, and Thunder would be grouped on another day, then 7D, Buzz, and Speedway. Your times are good - plenty of time to get other FPs, like Dumbo, IASW, etc :D We had no problem during Feb break getting extra FPs for 6-10 people (including President's weekend).

Another option would be to rope drop Adventureland - for Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc - which would free up another FP. Plenty of people rope drop for 7D, etc but we love to go off and do the other side when it's almost empty!

Thank you so much for your help. We are taking a dinner break at 7:00 on the first day that I forgot to mention. That's the reason for the criss-cross.

I would also keep in mind with your fast pass times and your Ohana reservation, that it is a good 1 1/2 hr dinner at the least.

I agree with your strategy of getting fast passes in the morning. When we were there last August we were able to get lots of same day fast passes once we used our first three. If you think your family would want to ride things like Seven Dwarves or Splash Mountain more than once (mine did!) then you might consider getting fast passes for those on more than one day, since you probably won't be able to get same day fast passes for those. We found lots of same day fast pass availability for Pirates in late August, for example, and the stand by line for that ride was also shorter than many.

Oh, that is good to know! So, maybe take off Pirates? Which one should I add? We have 7D twice. We have to bride one of my son's to ride Splash, so he wouldn't want to do that twice.

On arrival day, I would switch the order. You have 2 fp+ on tap for 7D, so I would make one of them after dark - it is a completely (and better) ride in the dark. So make 7D your 8:30 fp+. And the earlier you go on Splash, the easier it is to dry off!! So, I would make that your 4:30. Then I might try to see what you can get done in Frontierland, Adventureland, and then Fantasyland and move the Peter Pan fp+ back closer to 7:30.

Our last trip in 2015, DD and I got on SDMT when Wishes was exploding directly overhead - try to get a FP window that coincides with Happily Ever After ie. 9:00-100 or whatever, and time it right - you won't regret it!

I agree with the theory of avoiding the back and forth. That said, a natural progression from one land to another isn't bad either. For example, speedway, HM, Splash) etc. But back and forth is a no way! If you don't plan breaks in the lunch - late afternoon period, those are good places for FP too - (longest lines).

I agree with your strategy of getting fast passes in the morning.

As long as they aren't at opening time - I would wait until 90 mins after opening to use 1st FP... but make sure you are there at least 1/2 hour before opening and hit biggest stuff first.

You might try an early day speedway without FP. It's a classic, but the cars go soooo slow, and you cant go off course or pass anyone with the guardrails... boys might not love it at their age compared to real go karts. (seriously like 5-10 mph).

Buzz Lightyear can be a walk-on at many times of the day (early / late). We have had many occasions where we rode 3-4 times in a row with ZERO wait.

SDMT is also a very small roller coaster. I might do it at rope drop with a 20-25 min wait, and only use one FP on it for your arrival day (again, timed with fireworks is cool!). Your boys are old enough to probably like the thrill of BTMR more than the overall "kiddie size" roller coaster. (although the theming of 7DMT is awesome). I am surprised they wouldn't want to ride Space - I didn't always love it, but it has grown on me quite a lot (and I'm quite a lot older than I was the first time I rode it in 1977). If you don't tense up your body, the ride can be quite fun - if you are rigid it is more jerky.

Just a couple of thoughts - In general, I use my FPs where the lines will be longest and at the right times of day, and arrange them so as to minimize walking - back and forth really takes a toll after the first couple of days!

Arrival Day:
O'Hana's at 7::10

Next MK Day:

Final MK Day:

You won't get out of 'Ohana in less than an hour. You won't make it back in time for Pan.

I don't see anything wrong with your Next and Final MK days except there's some zigzagging going on. For example, Haunted Mansion is closer to Thunder than Speedway.

In general, I use my FPs where the lines will be longest and at the right times of day, and arrange them so as to minimize walking - back and forth really takes a toll after the first couple of days!

Thank you for your information. What do you use your FPs for and at what time?

Oh, that is good to know! So, maybe take off Pirates? Which one should I add? We have 7D twice. We have to bride one of my son's to ride Splash, so he wouldn't want to do that twice.
Of the ones on your list, I think BTMR is a really high demand fastpass, in addition to 7 Dwarves and Splash. You can look at fast pass availability on Touring Plans to get a sense of which ones you need to have in advance, and which ones are likely to have same day availability.
Note also, you can get a fast pass for Pirates if you complete all five Pirate Adventures (at least the last I heard as of last year). These are really, really cool, and a great activity for the high crowd time of day.

Thank you for your information. What do you use your FPs for and at what time?

Well, it all depends on what my plan is for the day really. Other parks have single rider lines for at least one bigger attraction. We have been enough that we don't need to sit next to one-another to enjoy it - we will always finish within a minute or two of one another, and we meet in the inevitable gift shop post-ride.

In MK, nothing has single rider, so strategies differ. For example, on my upcoming trip in mid-August, one day at MK, the plan is to have a pre-opening breakfast reservation at Be Our Guest, and be front and center for SDMT at rope drop (like right next to the ride), be off it by 10 mins into the day, make a bee-line for Space, then hit things like speedway (for you), or Buzz / teacups (for the girls/ladies in my family - I won't ride that one anymore), maybe Pooh... but my FP would be for say 9:45-10:45 on PPan (which (keep in mind) I don't need to actually show up to until 10:45 - giving me flexibility), then I might hit IASW or the carousel and and HM, (still with likely only a 15-20 min wait depending on what time I arrive) all on my way to my 10:45-11:45 FP for BTMR. Then I might grab a quick lunch in Frontierland (before the long lines develop), and check wait times at Pirates, while I waited for my Splash FP to open at 12:00. As soon as we enter the FP line for Splash (after scanning), I would be searching on my phone for FP#4 on something like Jungle Cruise to see what time I can get one for. Then it's high capacity shows, or a trip back to the room for a swim and shower, or even a hop to another park or something.

On an evening visit to MK, you are in the right framework. Lines will be long when you arrive and unless the park is open very late, the headliners won't diminish a whole lot. Understand which rides (and what order) make sense to find a balance between mileage and time in line, and hit the smaller wait attractions and shows in the earlier evening when it's crowded. sprinkle in what fits - but the mountains and SDMT will likely be the biggest time saving FPs to have at night. PP is really fine just once per trip for us. Also remember that once you see the fireworks once, lines will diminish briefly just before, and during the time they are in progress. We love taking advantage of that period to get slightly lesser waits. Like the SDMT during fireworks, timing the plunge from Splash Mountain with fireworks is an awesome sight as well - but much more difficult given the length of the ride and somewhat slow loading time!

Oh, and for the record - your FP for PP WILL work with O'hana... Remember you have an hour from when the FP window opens to scan in. I can't sit in Ohana more than 45 mins before I'm stuffed out of my gourd! Service moves fast once you are seated. However, be early for your reservation - you will likely have to wait 15 mins or so to be seated after checking in!

And I will bet.... Your son that you have bribed will want to do Spalsh a second time after the first, but I do know that some have a hard time with thrills... you obviously know best!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter