Magic Bands, Credit Cards and Kids

jlhmom75

Earning My Ears
I've done some searching because I'm sure this has been discussed, but I've failed to find it. My brother has two small children. All in his party (including the kids) have Magic Bands. He has set up his credit card and PIN in his account. But he doesn't want the kids' bands to be connected. Can that happen? I'm not finding a way in my account (I have a 15-year-old and I would think I would have the same options as he does). Anyone know and can point me in the right direction? TIA

Pretty sure connected kids under 18 can’t charge anyway. You would definitely want your kids connected. Not sure why he wouldn’t want them to, since I assume he’s managing their plans.

I think op meant not connected for charging privileges.

If they are small kids, I don’t think I’d worry about it as much as I might with an older child. I wouldn’t have even thought about my younglings going on a shopping spree without me noticing until they were at least tweens. And really, not even then.

My young kids have never been able to use their MagicBands to charge anything. They’re also now just 9 and almost 7 so they have never been alone where we’ve had to worry about them charging a anything. I will say I have a PIN set up and I can’t even charge to my own band without that pin.

You have to have a PIN so in the very least he can just set that when he sets up the band and not tell the kids. But I think maybe the front desk at the hotel can help you? I remember talking with them a lot about charging on our last trip as we had multiple family members paying for their own charges.

Kids under 18 can definitely charge ... mine have at the age of eleven (possibly younger). I do think that we visited the resort front desk to set up charging capabilities for the non-adults. It's possible that the kid-default is no charging privileges. But, if they want to be sure, just stop by the front desk and they can check everyone's bands.

My brother has two small children. All in his party (including the kids) have Magic Bands. He has set up his credit card and PIN in his account. But he doesn't want the kids' bands to be connected.
Your brother could visit the front desk when they check in and tell them that he doesn't want the kids to have charging priveleges. He could also keep the PIN a secret and not tell them the number. :)

Make sure the PIN isn't something the kids could easily guess, like their address or last 4 of the phone number, if he thinks the kids might try.

Personally I never added charging privileges to my bands, I don't see the benefit. I can already make a purchase with my watch so it keeps my card out of one more breach vector.

Just don't share the pin!

My kids (and their cousins) have had charging privileges since they were 12ish; I never had to set up charging for them.

We often split up depending on ages and interests, in the same park at first and then when they got older, they could park hop.

This way they could grab a water, ice cream etc. anything within reason without having to ask. They knew the rules and if they broke them the pin would be changed, and they wouldn't have access (never happened).

Now you can see on the app what has been charged so you can monitor purchases and change the pin on the spot if necessary.

Not quite the same thing but we give our kids a Disney gift card. They only have that set amount for their spending money, and once it’s gone it’s gone lol. We obviously pay for their dining/food/snacks - this is solely for any souvenirs they want.

We also buy the GCs at either Target (save 5% with your RedCard) or BJs (save 4% with your membership) so no matter how much they get we aren’t actually out of pocket that full amount 🤣

If they are 'small' children that seems to me like young enough they aren't going to be going off on their own when at Disney so I don't see why they think that is an issue. Set a unique pin, don't write it on the band or tell your children and even if they lose their magic bands no one else would be able to use it to make charges. Teens as others have said might make incidental purchases at a park but I wouldn't classify a teen as a 'small child'.

OP - The front desk can take care of this for you. I've done this on multiple occasions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter