Magic 1/14/06 - 1/21/06 report

dknyc1

Earning My Ears
Just returned - just a quick report

Our group was 8 = Me, wife, daughter 5, Sister in law, her husband, their daughter 3 & my inlaws.

This was my families 2nd Disney cruise but first for all others.

2 families each had Cat 4 rooms #8076 & 8074 & inlaws had Cat 3 suite.

The rooms were all great - but the suite was awsome - it was #8100 handicap room & really huge- it was a great place for us to all congregate.

As far as ports go:

Key West - we just walked around - nice town - looks like a good place for adult partying.

Grand Cayman - we did the stingray snorkel on our own with Captain Marvin - it was lots of fun but younger ones didnt get into water - too scary.

Costa Maya - very lame - all we did was just walk into port for an hour or so - not ,much to see. One interesting thing in port was the pharmacy - selling all US prescription drugs but no script needed - stuff just on the shelves. One interesting thing - when we boarded & went to concierge greeting to book excursions they showed a dolphin swim in Costa Maya - we were disappointed we missed Cozumel & had wanted to do that so were now excited to see it listed in Costa Maya - BUT, you had to be 5 & my duaghter is a few months shy - by the way, the concierge said she didnt recommend doing anything in Costa Maya except staying on the boat or maybe just quickly checking out the port.

Castaway Key - awsome as usual - perfact weather,

Shows were very good - some same as i had seen last year, but still enjoyed them.

Food was mostly very good.

Each couple also took a night at Palo & it was my first time there & it really is exceptional - also did brunch there - also great.

The trip was everything we expected & more

Let me know if anyone has any questions - I will try & answer

dknyc1 said:
Grand Cayman - we did the stingray snorkel on our own with Captain Marvin - it was lots of fun but younger ones didnt get into water - too scary.

Were you on the mid-day snorkle and swim with Captain Chris???? We were on your cruise and did the Captain Marvin tour too. There were 8 of us (4 adults and 4 boys: 7, 5 and twins that were 4). We sat up top with captain Chris.

My 5 year old screamed like a banshee when we got in the water with the stingrays. He and I were one of the first one's in from our boat and I guess they smelled the squid and about 10 of them swarmed us.... it was a bit unnerving! :confused3

PS. Did you wake up during the rough seas on Costa Maya night? We had an inside cabin on Deck 6 and the creaking noises and "turbulence" scared the c.r.a.p. out of me! I only thought the "very rough" seas and gale force winds were bad from Grand Cayman night until Costa Maya night! I would have loved to have a verandah to peak outside during all that and see how bad it was.

goofymama said:
PS. Did you wake up during the rough seas on Costa Maya night? We had an inside cabin on Deck 6 and the creaking noises and "turbulence" scared the c.r.a.p. out of me! I only thought the "very rough" seas and gale force winds were bad from Grand Cayman night until Costa Maya night! I would have loved to have a verandah to peak outside during all that and see how bad it was.

WOW I must have slept like a baby cause I never even noticed the rough seas on Costa Maya night. I felt the ones on Grand Cayman night... I slept the best on that ship than I have in a long time so I guess that explains it... LOL :goodvibes

goofymama said:

Ha! We had the same conditions a couple of years ago. We had a verandah.
I was so afraid, I COULDN'T peak outside to see how bad it was!

Now I wish I had...... :lmao:

Originally Posted by goofymama

Boy, my husband sure did! He sat out on the verandah all night and watched. He came back in drenched, LOL! Silly man! Our cabin didn't sleep much that night because the closet doors kept sliding back and forth! We loved it though! We consider it part of the adventure!
Heather

tiggeroo13 said:
Boy, my husband sure did! He sat out on the verandah all night and watched. He came back in drenched, LOL! Silly man! Our cabin didn't sleep much that night because the closet doors kept sliding back and forth! We loved it though! We consider it part of the adventure!
Heather

Was he drenched from rain or waves crashing up that high?!?! :scared1:

What deck were you on and how bad did your DH say the seas were?

Thanks for the report!! Boy it sounds like you didn't get the best advice for CM. While I haven't been yet, I've been researching CM on this board and whatever I can get my hands on.

Everything I've read about the immediate port area has NOT been positive.

However.......
Majhaual (sp) Beach is a few minutes ride from port. I've got lots of photos on file and it looks absolutely beautiful with a lot to do. This beach has gotten great reviews. I can not wait to go. Horseback riding, clear kayaks, water craft rentals, you can set up a snorkel trip for around $20, cheap 30 minute massages for around $20.

I just wanted to add that in case anyone was reading about CM.

I'm glad you had a great time though. We were originally going to go to Capt. Marvins on the regular Western. It sounded alot like our Capt. Nautica excursion in St. Thomas.

musicgirl said:
However.......
Majhaual (sp) Beach is a few minutes ride from port. I've got lots of photos on file and it looks absolutely beautiful with a lot to do. This beach has gotten great reviews. I can not wait to go. Horseback riding, clear kayaks, water craft rentals, you can set up a snorkel trip for around $20, cheap 30 minute massages for around $20.

The beach at CM was beautiful to look at but the village itself is very poor and run down looking... We enjoyed getting over there and looking at the water and the beaches, but the people who live there will drive ya a little bonkers trying to sell you stuff... We took the horseback riding tour and riding on the beach itself and being able to look at the ships in the water was really nice, but we had to pass a trash collection area in the jungle and that wasn't so pleasant... Our tour guide spoke no english either.... You can get great deals there for excursions though... I liked the port and the water and scenery were fabulous, but if you don't like people being pushy this port will not be for you...

Here are a few pics: Fisrt one is of the beach the other is the port swimming area... Enjoy!

costamaya.jpg

100_0865.jpg

goofymama said:

LOL We woke up to our champagne glasses crashing to the floor. I did look outside. They were high, but I felt better seeing what was going on. Our deck six verandah got splashed a few times. I had to move our shoes. I usually keep some of our shoes out on the verandah.

I am sorry dknyc1 that you didn't like Costa Maya.

we went on one of the ruin excursions and thought it was wonderful :thumbsup2

My dad had to turn in early that night as he was feeling sick due to the rough seas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter