Lyft and a wheelchair

emily nicole

DIS Veteran
We rented a wheelchair for my mom who can walk, just not for long distances. We want to take a Lyft on our early morning at DHS. Should we just request an SUV so that the wheelchair can go in the back? Any experiences with this?

We rented a wheelchair for my mom who can walk, just not for long distances. We want to take a Lyft on our early morning at DHS. Should we just request an SUV so that the wheelchair can go in the back? Any experiences with this?
Assuming you have no luggage, and assuming the wheelchair folds up -- there should be no need to order an SUV (called Lyft XL). There should be room in the car's trunk for the folded wheelchair. However, that depends on the specific vehicle you get. If you get one of the really small vehicles, it could be a problem.

My suggestion is to call the driver immediately and explain the situation to them. If they can't/won't take the wheelchair, you just cancel without penalty.

One thing to be aware of: Your driver may not be willing or able to load and unload the wheelchair. Some drivers will insist on doing the loading/unloading to protect their cars from accidental damage. Other drivers will refuse to load/unload anything. It's up to the driver.

Assuming you have no luggage, and assuming the wheelchair folds up -- there should be no need to order an SUV (called Lyft XL). There should be room in the car's trunk for the folded wheelchair. However, that depends on the specific vehicle you get. If you get one of the really small vehicles, it could be a problem.

My suggestion is to call the driver immediately and explain the situation to them. If they can't/won't take the wheelchair, you just cancel without penalty.

One thing to be aware of: Your driver may not be willing or able to load and unload the wheelchair. Some drivers will insist on doing the loading/unloading to protect their cars from accidental damage. Other drivers will refuse to load/unload anything. It's up to the driver.

Thank you!

My relative uses UBER a lot as she does not drive at night and her husband gave up his driver's license. She always has her walker with her as she needs it for balance. It folds up and goes right in the trunk. Granted it is a little smaller than a wheelchair, but still something that must be taken care of. The drivers are always so nice and willing to help. If I am there with her, I get it folded and the drivers always want to put it in the trunk for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter