• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Luaus: Paradise Cove vs Polynesian Cultural Center

treborq

Earning My Ears
Can anyone detail the pros/cons between these 2 Luau choices, Paradise Cove vs Polynesian Cultural Center.
We will be at Aulani first 10 days of August 2012.
Thank you in advance!

Can anyone detail the pros/cons between these 2 Luau choices, Paradise Cove vs Polynesian Cultural Center.
We will be at Aulani first 10 days of August 2012.
Thank you in advance!
We haven't done PC, have germaine's many years ago. We've been to the PCC several times doing their Luau type option. The PCC is not like a traditional Luau. You have a Luau type meal (if you chose that option) and separate stadium seating. Likely better food and a better show but just different. Reviews on PC and Germaine's go back and forth but generally both seem to be considered as mediocre as Luau's go. The one at the Marriott is smaller and seems to get better reviews but it's only once a week, Tuesday. The entertainment book has a BOGOF for PCC which can be applied as a discount toward a package ($49 currently) and a 25% off for PC and Germaine's both. I don't know much about the others including the one at the Hawaiian Village, Hilton or at Sea Life Park.

Thank you Dean for your insights, anyone else?

BTW I notice some hefty discounts online if you book directly with PCC on their website

Paradise Cove Pro: You can walk to it from Aulani and drink yummy piña coladas while enjoying the festivities. Another pro is that you can walk HOME to Aulani AFTER enjoying said piña coladas!

We did PC while at Aulani in Oct and were planning to do PCC but ran out of time (and money!). We would have done the Fia Fia show at the Marriott as our one luau (because I had heard the host/chief was amazing and the food was superior to PC/Germaine's) but it wasn't showing then.

PC was really well done IMO for what it is setting out to do and the food, drinks and entertainment were all worth the price. It is a little cheesy but we were ok with that (I think this is hard to get away from this unless you have a much bigger budget to work with). After we saw PC AND the Starlit Hui, we felt we were not missing much by passing up the full day commitment that is PCC.

I don't think it's a good idea to go to Starlit Hui FIRST and THEN pay for one of the evening luaus however. While short on time, Starlit Hui was absolutely lovely and really well done and I think it would have upped the cheese factor had we seen PC after this.

Through my research, it sounded like PC and Germaine's are pretty similar in food, entertainment and cheese, so PC won out for it's proximity!

Next time we are in Oahu we will make time for PCC just to see and maybe learn something new - not sure if it will be the same without the piña coladas though! :rotfl2:

HTH!

Thank you Dean for your insights, anyone else?

BTW I notice some hefty discounts online if you book directly with PCC on their website
It looks like the usual but the good news is that the entertainment couple comes straight off the package prices (one day admission $$), with the possible exception of the $69 park/show/free buffet option.

It has been many, many years since I visited the Polynesian Cultural Center. I went on my first ever trip to Hawaii - booked it as a day-trip excursion type thing bcuz it "seemed like" THE thing to do from the presentation we were given and that it was something that shouldn't be missed. I had not done any research on it prior to going. It was literally an all day excursion as it's around on the other side of the island, leaving Waikiki very early in the morning and getting back at like 10:30 or 11 PM that night. I was with my Mom and I think we were both a little uncomfortable there as we didn't realize the type of institution it was going to be and it was a long day for us with no way to get back to Waikiki until the bus left that night. The show that night WAS nice but it's a very large production and I would never go to the PCC again. I just felt out of place all day and kept wishing I had a way for Scotty to beam me up.:rolleyes1

Luau's are not cheap (in general) as they are a dinner and a show. Hopefully you're visiting another island while you're over there - personally I would just do one on Maui or something rather than trek all the way to the PCC.

The Paradise Cove show is just OK...... the drinks are drinks..... the service was good but the food was horrible.

But as somebody already said, you can walk back to Aulani after the drinks.:rolleyes:

Do yourself a favor and save the money, buy a drink at Aulani and go to the Starlit Hui. :thumbsup2

It has been many, many years since I visited the Polynesian Cultural Center. I went on my first ever trip to Hawaii - booked it as a day-trip excursion type thing bcuz it "seemed like" THE thing to do from the presentation we were given and that it was something that shouldn't be missed. I had not done any research on it prior to going. It was literally an all day excursion as it's around on the other side of the island, leaving Waikiki very early in the morning and getting back at like 10:30 or 11 PM that night. I was with my Mom and I think we were both a little uncomfortable there as we didn't realize the type of institution it was going to be and it was a long day for us with no way to get back to Waikiki until the bus left that night. The show that night WAS nice but it's a very large production and I would never go to the PCC again. I just felt out of place all day and kept wishing I had a way for Scotty to beam me up.:rolleyes1

Luau's are not cheap (in general) as they are a dinner and a show. Hopefully you're visiting another island while you're over there - personally I would just do one on Maui or something rather than trek all the way to the PCC.
IMO, PCC is a must do for a first timer, after that it's personal preference. They do what they do very well. It's a great intro to the history and culture of the various aspects of Polynesia. They have a great show, just different than a traditional Luau. When you say "the type of institution it was", are you referring to the fact it's a product of the Mormon church there?

I did the Paradise Cove luau earlier this year based on a recommendation from a Grand Californian valet who was from Hawaii! LOL It was "ok"---not sure how many people are at the PCC one, but there were about 1,000 people at Paradise Cove. Unfortunately, the people I was with were not really into the whole luau thing (it was my first trip to Hawaii) so we didn't participate in the other activities--i.e., watching the nets be brought in, watching the pig be brought up out of the ground. The drinks were ok--nothing great--and if you want something more than a very basic drink you have to pay extra $$$$. I don't like buffets--and if I had had my druthers I would have bought the top-tier where you are actually served by someone. (But my friends didn't want to do that.) The entertainment was ok, but not outstanding. We actually left during the last song so beat the crowd out (we were not staying at Aulani but at a private residence on the other side of the island).

I went back to Hawaii a couple of months later and spent the day at Poly Cultural Center but did not do the luau. It is a very interesting place to see--bathrooms were cleaner than Disney's! I used to live in Utah so I was used to the "culture" so that didn't bother me. I spoke with a lot of the people working there and also took the little tour they have over to the University and the community that built up there by the Mormon Church--I learned that the PCC was built as a means of giving the University students jobs to support themselves while they went to school.

I am planning an Aulani trip in October and taking my elderly Mom--my plan is to do the PCC for the whole day with the private guide and then the luau at night. It will be a long day but we will make the next day a "resort" day and sleep in and relax.

We just got back and did all three (SH, PC, and PCC). I will say they are all different and do not compare with each other.

PC - We did the activities which were fun. Food was ok. Really enjoyed the show and the location really was a plus. You see dances from each of the islands.

PCC - Very interesting. No way to see everything in one day. Show was more a story. We did the Prime dinner but think we would have rather the Luau since it had some entertainment with it. Prime dinner was pretty good. Made for a long day. We left the resort at 10:30am and got back at 11pm.

SH - It was interesting. Probably my least favorite of the three shows but am glad to see it.

To me I was not as concern with the quality of the food but rather the experiences.

We did PC last week. Overall, I'd give the experience a C at best. We arrived around 5pm, which was probably a little late. We found all of the activities to be quite crowded and not easy to participate in (800 guests that evening). The food was not good at all. The drinks were drinks. The show seemed dragged out (maybe we just hadn't adjusted to the time change). My recommendation would be to save the money!

I have done both the Paradise Cove and Polynesian CC. It's been a while, 2004.

PC - outdoors, various activities leading up to dinner and show, close to Marriot Ko-Olina, buffet style meal, entertainment typical luau.

PCC - large crowd for dinner, typical luau entertainment during meal, long distance from Ko-Olina, theater type show in seperate building was long, but enjoyable.

The PCC is an all day event, if you want to visit the different island exhibits and performances of the various Pacific Island cultures. My spouse and I enjoyed the entire event. Not sure, children, particularly teenagers would care for any of it.

If you can afford it, do both.:)

I'm working on planning my October trip to Aulani. How far a walk is it from Aulani to Paradise Cove? Do you walk on the street side or is there a beach path? How far is it from Aulani to the Marriott luau? My Mom will be on her scooter but I will be walking (and my mobility isn't that great either--just don't need a full-time scooter).

I'm working on planning my October trip to Aulani. How far a walk is it from Aulani to Paradise Cove? Do you walk on the street side or is there a beach path? How far is it from Aulani to the Marriott luau? My Mom will be on her scooter but I will be walking (and my mobility isn't that great either--just don't need a full-time scooter).
I'm not sure about the beach but it's a very short walk on a sidewalk from Aulani to the PC entrance, short enough that driving would be unreasonable for all but special situations like someone with limitations.

You walk along the street on a nice sidewalk. There is a slight incline leaving the Aulani driveway but otheriwse a nice level walk. It's not that far, maybe a 10-15 minute stroll.

I don't think you can walk on all the way on the beach side. The beach walking path ended just past the Marriot.

We went to the FIA FIA show at the Marriott Ko Olina timeshare resort when we were at Aulani in June.

Note it is NOT the Marriott right next door, but rather the one about 2 lagoons down, south of Aulani. It might be a 15 minute walk along the beach path, but there is the Ko Olina Shuttle which runs every 1/2 hour and makes a loop among all the Ko olina resorts...Aulani, the JW, the Marriott timeshares, Roy's restaurant. It is FREE and very reliable.

Anyway, back to FIA FIA. It is held once a week at the Ko Olina Beach Club. It is much smaller, maybe 200 guests as opposed to 800 -1000 at the bigger ones. The Chief/MC is Fabulous...very funny, talented and interesting. The show includes dances form several Pacific Islands, fire dances, musical numbers...very entertaining. The food was fine, nothing special. Because they are far fewer guests, the kids had easy access to the activities such a making fire, palm weaving and tattoos.

We had a great time and I would highly recommend FIA FIA. Reservations must be made through the concierge at the Ko Olina Beach Club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter