Loyal POP-goer wondering about a moderate...???

Suzimom

Mouseketeer
I'm sure it will bust our bank to go moderate. I called Disney tonight & was told computer systems were down to check for codes; try again tomorrow. I REALLY love POP. My only concern is that our son is 11 now & I'm worried he's outgrowing the pools at POP. We truly enjoy an early visit to the parks with a break in the afternoons at the pools "at home" before heading back out again for the evening. We don't have a buddy going with him & he's an only kid, so I'm a little worried about "boredom" with the pools at POP.

Are the pools at the moderates that much better? The pyramid sounds very intriguing, but is it just an aesthetic appeal? Are there slides?

My DH thinks I'm nuts to even think about this; upgrading for a POOL???? He thinks I'm just looking for an easy excuse to upgrade to a moderate...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

We have stayed at the CSR six (soon to be seven) times. Our kids have been there on four of those trips when they were younger. They absolutely loved the pool and slide at the CSR. We had previously stayed at All Star Sports, Contemporary and Polynesian, and the CSR was by far their favorite resort/pool. There is also a playground, arcade and volleyball court right by the Dig Site at the CSR. You can also rent boats (racyers, etc.) at the marina as well as bikes.

We stayed at a mod last time for the 1st time, and I really loved it! I do like having the water slides. My kids (and DH!) love them. If you do go for a mod, I would do CSR. The jaguar slide was super fun! I also liked having the bikes and boats, and a TS restaurant for DDP use on site.

That said, if it's a big stretch financially to do it, may not be worth it. But if you can swing it, I would give it a try! It's just fun to stay at a new place, in my opinion. :)

There are water slides at the moderates. The moderates are definately a step up from POP. When we are on a tight budget we are happy at POP or a value, but when we have a little more money to spend we will most surely opt for a moderate. The water slides are great for the older kids. We do honestly wish we could stay at a moderate all of the time but it is more for the atmosphere...it is a little less chaotic. Whatever you decide you will have a great trip!

I am not sure about CSR, but last time we to CBR and we weren't that impressed and are going back in August and will be going to POP again. At CBR there is one little slide that is always busy, but fun and the biggest drawback is the food court at the CBR. It is small and crowded, hard to navigate, not like POP were it is open, clear menus etc. The room wasn't any better, still two double beds, not queens. Not worth the money in my opinion. We didn't go to CSR because it is used alot for conventions I heard and can be busy with adults, but don't know if that is true

(Adding on to the post earlier) The 2 moderates we have stayed at were CSR and POFQ. Both were much less chaotic and quieter. We enjoyed both of them a lot. BUT if it means costing more than you can really afford then stick with POP.

I think you would enjoying trying it. I think that the values are great for really young kids but for pre-teens and teens, the mods are more fun. The water slides are a blast! We too enjoy CSR very much. The hot tub is a great perk as well :thumbsup2

Why not try a split stay? Half at a value, half at a mod? It would cut your cost, and probably please everyone. We love our split stays - it's like getting two vacations in one.

Wow - thanks, everyone for your quick and honest responses!!! I love disboards!!! I've thought about a split stay, but I'm worried about taking time packing up and moving to a new place when we can be out having fun; evenings seem to be prime time to be out and about...it's a good idea; we'll have to think about it, though!!! Of course, I'm the only one in my family group worried about any of this; DH as I said earlier thinks I'm borrowing trouble & should just be happy with POP..grrrrr...love him lots...he just doesn't get it sometimes!!!!!:headache:

I am in wondering the same thing. I keep thinking I am going to try a mod but I am happy at Pop so why tempt myself. I like to stay at values because it leaves us enough money to do what we want and return the next year. So I guess I just answered my own question. Maybe you could add park hopper with the water parks to your tickets it would probably be cheaper than upgrading to a moderate. Then he could have all the slides he wants.

CSR! Awesome pool/slide, great transportation and terrific food options. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

We've stayed at POP nine times and love it. However, we've also stayed at most of the other resorts and have our favorites in all categories. Our favorite of the mods is POR mansions. There is a great pool, Ol' man's Island, as well as quiet pools and many other activities (that may help you sell this idea to dH:thumbsup2 ). You could take a boat ride to DTD, ride bikes, take the trails, ride the surreys, and relax on the grounds. It is an awesome resort!!! It's actually DHs favorite resort!

I would stay at pop and save the money for a waterpark. Really for an 11 year old who loves water slides that is the best option. Other than that if the only reason you are going to switch is for the waterslide then I don't think $100 a day for a slide is worth it IMO. If you guys LOVE POP I would stay there. I don't know how long you are staying but I would try to at least buy one day waterpark tickets. Maybe just one parent can take him while the other child and adult enjoy a theme park? That would also be the cheapest option.

Monica

Sorry just read again that he's an only child. I would for sure take him to a waterpark then. He can get in a lot of sliding there for alot less money, unless you are only staying a couple of days.

Monica

We love Pop! That's coming from a family who used to(now things are different with 3 kids and the cost of EVERYTHING) stay only concierge! We now have a motorhome we drive down to WDW in and split our stays between there and POR or 2 rooms at Pop. We've stayed at all the mods and my 2 favorites are POR and CSR! Both have cool pools if that's what you are looking for! I saw someone suggested a split stay another thing we've always really liked! Disney makes it very painless if you don't have a car and if you do have a car it's even easier! One of my favorite split stays we did was AKL then over to YC concierge! So cool to have 2 different themes in one vacation! Yes same "place" but very different feels!
Like going to Pop then going to POR or CSR would be like 2 different worlds even though you are at the same place. Does that make sense:confused: Sonetimes I confuse myself! Hope anything I've said helps!:goodvibes

If you want a relaxing atmosphere, a great pool and awesome transportation, then CSR is the place. The grounds are well maintained, the views are spectacular and the CM's are the best. :thumbsup2

I would gladly stay at Pop Century over any moderate. The moderates are a little nice, but I just don't think they are worth the jump in price versus Pop.

The moderates are fantastic. I love walking the pathways and looking at the theming, and all that you can do there--rent the boats, the bicycles, the pools, play in the game room.

At POR you can take the boat to DTD, or even rent a boat and take it to DTD (but on a rental you cannot get out at DTD). Then you can also walk to POFQ for a different restaurant and gift shop. We stayed in the mansion here, and really enjoyed the walk.

At CSR you have a very nice pool area and some pretty good restaurants, plus there are three different themed areas which are fun to wander through or take the cart through. We stayed in the Casita bldg #4 and loved the walk to the main building through the courtyards, the fountains and the flowers. It was beautiful! And check out the Dig Site. What a pool with a slide!

After staying at the moderates, my husband had no interest in staying at a value. Everything was just so calm and peaceful and beautiful. You should give it a try for something different.

My daughter is almost 11 and we are POP people. We stayed at CSR last Dec. for various reasons, and she begged me to make our next trip at POP. Our room location made it so that there was very very long walk to the main pool area. She ended up not wanting to hike that far for a water slide during our mid day break, and used the quiet pool by our building instead. Our next trip, we are staying at POP and going to the water parks for water fun. It just was not worth it for us. I was not fully prepared for the size of CSR because I was used to the Value resorts. It turned me off. I hated the Pepper Market as well, probably only because I was used to the simplicity and straight forwardness of the POP food court. Even though I can afford to stay mod. it is allll Values from here on out for me!

I personally, would use that extra money to add on the Water Park Fun and More option to your park tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter