Low Sodium at WDW?

ArwenMarie

DIS Veteran
I've just been diagnosed with an inner ear condition. The main treatment is a low-sodium diet, with 1,500 mg per day maximum.

Has anyone been to WDW, well, I should say eaten at WDW for a week's long vacation!, on such a low-sodium diet?

The only nutritional information I could find online was for Be Our Guest and wow, are those sodium counts high for some of those dishes!

Anyway, just looking for tips or strategies or any other info I may have missed. Thank you!

Your safest way is to eat at buffets and stick with foods that are more salad like. Eating plain fruit would be okay, too.

You may ask about low salt choices where you eat and they may be able to help you. Sometimes, they may cook a special dish up for you.

At table service, explain to your server that you need to speak to the chef, or at least order your food plain, grilled, no sauce, etc. I'd avoid as much counter service as possible.

Also, make sure to stay super-crazy hydrated. Hopefully that will allow you to be a little less concerned about the sodium levels, as you should be "expelling" excess sodium as you frequently visit the restrooms.

I too am low sodium diet person but for kidneys. A warning on vegetables. Carrots and celery are very high in sodium. They appear in a lot of Disney salads. I struggle to eat at Disney and stay on my diet. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I too am low sodium diet person but for kidneys. A warning on vegetables. Carrots and celery are very high in sodium. They appear in a lot of Disney salads. I struggle to eat at Disney and stay on my diet. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Oh good to know about the veggies. Thank you!

Yeah, I'm starting to see that this is going to be quite hard at WDW without any sodium counts available. We've gone out to eat a few times at home here and it hasn't been that bad since most of the chains offer full nutritional info including sodium count, so I've been able to find something.

I can't believe WDW still doesn't provide nutritional info :(

Plain, on their own, carrots and celery have a moderate amount of sodium, around 35 mg per serving. Processed vegetables of all kinds can have high sodium levels. Where did you hear that carrots and celery are "very high" in sodium?

Fresh Carrots are higher than fresh lettuce or peas my doctor said. The website should help all low sodium seekers.

Fresh Carrots are higher than fresh lettuce or peas my doctor said. The website should help all low sodium seekers.

True, a fresh carrot or celery stalk has more sodium than a cup of lettuce or peas (~35mg vs ~10mg). However, I suggest you ask your doctor for clarification of his/her statement to make sure it hasn't been taken out of context, or schedule an appointment with a nutritionist to discuss your needs and concerns about various vegetables. Your physician may have some very specific concerns for you in particular, so it would be best to get clarification. While fresh veggies do have some natural levels of sodium they are generally considered low sodium and encouraged, even on a low sodium diet. Canned or frozen veggies are a different story altogether. My family deals with blood pressure, diabetes and a kidney condition, but I've never been advised to have any of us avoid carrots or celery for sodium content.

I can't believe WDW still doesn't provide nutritional info

Unfortunately, WDW doesn't provide nutritional information. I know chain restaurants do in many areas, and some states are starting to require it of all (most?) restaurants (it's a state law here). Do you think you could look at some menus and get an idea of offerings, then try to match that up with similar offerings at chains you visit more frequently? We will often request plain grilled meat without seasonings, or request sauces to be served on the side. Table service restaurants have more leeway with adapting foods, so I recommend you have your ADRs noted for the diet and request to speak with a chef before ordering.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for that page! I wonder if I could email about this They seem to be putting low sodium into the "lifestyle" category? I guess I can try. Thanks again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter