Low kitchen sink

flowergirl45

Mouseketeer
Good morning. Any ideas out there to improve the dish washing experience (lol) for a taller person using an older, and therefore shorter, kitchen sink? My mom moved into a home with short countertops and a low sink, and has to lean over more than she would like while washing dishes. Thank you for any suggestions!

I have the same problem. My mom actually had a carpenter remove her cabinets, build 4in risers/boxes, and reinstall the cabinets on top of the boxes. I Know it cost several hundred dollars, but it has been worth it for her. She may have to take them out in order to sell her house, but she's already been there 12 years, and hopefully she'll be there another 10-15 years. At that point, a new buyer would probably want to redo the whole kitchen anyway. It has definitely been a good long-term solution!

My cheaper, low-tech solution is to stand with my legs spread wide. It may look funny, but it makes me just enough shorter that I don't have to bend over as much.

LOL I had to chuckle at your low tech solution. We will try that! And Thank you for the other suggestion as well. We will give it some thought. :flower3:

I would love that kitchen. If I ever had the money to design and have a house built that kitchen would be almost two kitchens. One with counters and a sink that is normal height and another part with counters and sinks that would work for me. I am 4' 8" tall and everything is out of reach for me. I can only use the front part of the lowest shelf. The rest of my cupboards are useless for me. When I was younger I was able to get up on stools and climb on the counters. However now that I am slightly handicapped I can't climb the stools never mind the counters. Now even the plugs in the wall are getting harder and harder for me to reach.

It is the same with the bathrooms. We had our bathrooms redone and at least the cupboards are lower and then go right up to the ceiling. I was over ruled and the counter is still at the normal height. It is hard for me to do anything in the sinks.

tigercat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter