Low Carb Disney

gator287

Mouseketeer
Help me please! The search function is disabled. Does any one know of any threads for Low carb eating at WDW? If not, any tips are appreciated. Thanks,
Suzy and Ed :wave: :earsgirl:

Check out the WISH forum - there are lots of lowcarbers there. :)

Generally speaking, LC at WDW is just like LC at home. Order the steak, but ask for mushrooms or broccoli instead of the baked potato. At counterservice places, get a double cheeseburger, no bun, no fries. Yada, yada, yada. :)

You can eat the same things at disney as you do at home basically...lo carbing is easy no matter where you are at. We have found it to be that way anyway...especially when eating out.

Let the server know that you don't want the starch, no sugar, etc. and they will work with you to fashion a meal. The meat portion is usually ok, but 'ware the ever present sauces (laden with flour and sugar). The vegetables can be interchanged and they are quite good at offering whatever vegetable may be available in the kitchen that is not on the menu.

The only woeful shortcoming for low carbing at WDW is the lack of sugar-free, acceptable desserts. :( But there is always the turkey legs! :D

Went to WDW a couple years ago on low carb. No problem. Ate lots of hot dogs........no bun. The Liberty tree tavern meal was a good choice because of the meat options if you can forgoe the mashed potato and stuffing sides.

I also would be interested in any low carb WDW dining tips that anyone could offer... The DH is bound and determined to stick by his diet on our vacation (good for him!) and I would like to make it as easy on him as possible. I did book the FDP at H&V, which sounds like a good buffet choice for him. And we will be having bkfst at our hotel every day except one (with CRT), which will help out.... lunch will probably be the biggest problem. He is not real fond of WDW turkey legs. Probably be stuck with roll-less dogs and burgers. I am going to try to get us to the Tusker house at AK, as I have heard they have a good roasted chicken. And I understand that they have a roasted chicken meal at Cosmic Ray's in the MK now. Anyone with any other suggestions???:D

http://allearsnet.com/din/rev_lowcarb.htm

I'd be wary of the turkey legs anyway - they were on a Food Network special and I think they are pretty heavily basted in sweet/salty stuff. :)

On that link they talk about some sweet treats that are available as well...sugarfree ice cream and frozen fruit bars that are low in carbs - depends on which phase of the diets you are on, but it is doable. :)

MAGIC KINGDOM:
Columbia Harbor House - Garden Galley Salad - mixed greens with chicken, pecans, pineapple and feta cheese $6.39

Cosmic Ray's - Family Meal serving 3-4 people Whole Rotisserie Chicken with Mashed Potatoes $15.99

1/2 Rotisserie Chicken - with Mashed Potatoes $6.99 (they have a cream of chicken with vegetable soup and a country vegetable soup you might be able to sub for the potatoes)

El Pirata y el Perico - Taco Salad - fried tortilla, lettuce, taco meat, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream and onions, served with salsa $5.79 (Skip the tortilla shell and you should be good to go)

Pecos Bills
Slue Foot Sue's Sweetheart of a Deal Chicken Wrap - seasoned chicken strips, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese tossed with Pecos house dressing with fries or carrots $7.39

Kit Carson Chicken Salad - freshly tossed grilled chicken, jicama slaw, lettuce, vegetables and cheese in a lime vinaigrette $6.39; served without grilled chicken $4.69

ANIMAL KINGDOM:
Chakranadi Chicken - Thai Beef Salad - $5.99

Flame Tree Barbecue (assuming since it is smoked there is no sauce on it) Smoked 1/2 Chicken served with baked beans and corn on the cob - $7.99

Tamu Tamu Refrehsments - Seasonal Fruit Smoothie - made sugar free $3.29

Tusker House -

(double veggies, no potatoes) 1/2 Rotisserie Chicken served with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables $7.99

Grilled Salmon served with rice and fresh seasonal vegetables $7.99

Tusker House Chicken Salad tossed with balsamic vinagrette dressing, served with focaccia bread $7.29

MGM STUDIOS - standard burger fare, garden salads - nothing shines here.

EPCOT -

Cantina de San Angel - Mexico
Questionable - but you could use a fork to eat the insides of the burrito and skip the tortilla - Wet Burrito - Flour tortillas filled with beef, served with lettuce, tomato, black refried beans, sour cream and Adobo Sauce $6.95

Fountainview Cafe - Sugar Free Cheesecake $2.79

Pure & Simple -
Sugar-free Brownie $1.79
Seasonal Soup - $2.89
House Salad - iceberg lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheddar cheese, and bacon $2.99; with seasonal soup $5.79

Sommerfest (Germany)
Chicken Schnitzel - topped with saute mushrooms, onions and tomatoes $6.29

Tangierine Cafe - Morocco - (perhaps - if you skip the cous cous and taboulleh they offer several sides including marinated olives that might be interesting as a substitute)- Shawarma Platters - served with hummus, tabbouleh and Tangierine CousCous salad with fresh Moroccan bread. Chicken & Lamb $9.95; Lamb $8.75; Chicken $8.95.

Yakitori House -
Shogun Combination - Broiled skewers of chicken and beef tenderloin with teriyaki sauce, steamed rice $6.99

Japanese Curry - spicy curry sauce with onions, carrots, potatoes and beef served over steamed rice $5.99

Tonosama Combo - Broiled skewers of chicken and beef tenderloin with teriyaki sauce, tempura shrimp and steamed rice $7.49

Yakitori - broiled skewers of chicken and rice with teriyaki sauce $4.79

(I realize all these have rice - and that teriyaki sauce can have sugar, but maybe not enough to truly impact the daily carb count all that much - plus, it's something other than burgers and dogs!:))
Here are the "sides" You could always put together your own platter :)

Yakitori (skewered chicken) - $1.69
Garden Salad with ginger dressing - $3.29
Miso Soup - $2.29 (miso soup is wonderful - clear broth with fermented soybean paste and sometimes bits of tofu)
Kushiyaki Beef Tenderloin - $2.50

TYPHOON LAGOON
Typhoon Tilly's -
Chicken Caesar Salad $5.99

Hope that gives you a good start - this was all counter service only - since I figured a restaurant *always* has a low-carb option of grilled chicken or steak or the like :)

I am on Atkins, but I am planning a few splurges when I'm at WDW in 11 days. Especially...creme brulee! :teeth:

Be careful with taco salads. Frequently the hamburger is mixed with flour.

Creme Brulee isn't that bad of a choice for Atkin's. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find a sugar free version. If you ingest that much sugar (eating an entire serving) you'll knock yourself out of ketosis for at least a couple days.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions... looks like we will be good to go, except for desserts. I'm sure he will be carrying a fanny pack full of low-carb chocolate bars. Now, about my WW diet...:eek:

I followed a low carb diet on our last cruise and at WDW. It was a little tough on the cruise as far as desserts go and when you would like that ocassional drink at night or while on deck by the pool. I should have asked when I reserved if they had low-carb desserts available - there was usually one sugar-free dessert. I will ask when I reserve for our next cruise. What I did, since I knew I would want something sweet after meals - I took with me about 10 bars, all varieties - atkins bars, carb solutions bars, etc. They also have 2 carb (per cookie) cookies available that you can purchase at home. I also prepared at WDW sugar free jello and had this with cool whip topping. Everything else, just like the other posts stated - burgers, hot dogs - no bun - extra meat/proten/fish with lettuce on the side or low carb veggies. You can also bring with you pork rinds and purchase some cheese/cream cheese while at WDW. Good Luck and let us know if you come up with any helpful hints.

Go to the Atkins website and do a search there. A few months ago, they had an entire writeup about doing WDW the "Atkins" way. It was a pretty good article and listed some tips I would have never thought of before. Anyway, good luck locarbing. I've been doing Atkins since Jan 03. Had a setback around Labor Day but have been back on track for a few weeks now.

When my trip to WDW comes up in a couple of weeks, I'm just gonna forgot Atkins for that week and I'll hop back into the "real world" when I get home. I figure I'm on vacation and I seem to have no willpower when it comes to eating (or spending money) at WDW....:teeth:

How about the all-you-can-eat skillet at Whispering Canyon?

"Our Famous Canyon Skillet

All You Care To Eat

$21.99 per person

Start with mixed greens with apple vinaigrette dressing, fresh baked corn bread and biscuits. Move on to smoked pork ribs, canyon pulled pork, oven-roasted chicken, pork sausage, beef stew, roasted red bliss potatoes, baked beans, cole slaw and corn on the cob."

Obviously don't eat the carbs (i.e. Corn bread, biscuits, beans etc.) However eat as much as you want of the ribs, pork, chicken, and sausage. I'm sure if you asked them not to bring out those items (avoid tempatation!!!) they would accomodate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter